Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Simple Snake game TAP ready for test

Page 1 of 1
JoeKole
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

A simple Snake game TAP is now ready for volunteers to test (version 0.4).

Download: http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/joekole/Snake.html

It would be great if e.g. the following kind of test feedback would be given:

1) In which Toppy models the TAP works and which not?
Especially UK models interest because of the key map issue.

2) Bugs / Problems?

If there are not any major errors reported within a couple of weeks then the first real relase 1.0 will be published during Autumn. The release 1.0 zip-package will include also the source code. If there exist somebody who would like to do some major software code development to the Snake even before the release 1.0, please let me know.

Regards

JoeKole
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Not actually installed it yet, probably will do so tomorrow morning.

But...

Reading the txt file in your zip it looks like the snake navigation keys that you have assigned could be a problem.

The volume and channel change keys on our remotes are small and placed at the 7 & 8 O'clock positions for the volume keys, and 4 & 5 O'clock positions for the channel change.

A more obvious set of keys (if you've seen the remote that is Wink ) would be the 4 major direction keys positioned at 12, 3, 6, & 9 O'clock positions.

I'll post back when I've actually tried it Smile

[edit]It's possible that with our remotes and API that these keys actually all do the same thing. So it may be that the keys I suggested as being a better alternative, might just work anyway.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
JoeKole
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Now I have made a look to TF5800 remote controller (via User Manual) and yes ... some 5800 remote key positions differs from 5000 and 5100 remote controllers.

At this moment the Snake OSD-screen guides to use "<, >, ^, v" keys for left-right-up-down, which might give in this case wrong information to 5800 users, because the TAP is coded to use the volume and channel change keys as described in readme.txt. It would be good to hear how the Snake keys are now really working with 5800?

No changes is done to TAP yet, but one possibility is also to create a new test version so that TAP use keys 2-4-6-8 as up-left-right-down keys and speed change will be done by channel change keys. If somebody has a good proposal about common Snake keys suitable for "all Toppy remote controllers" please let us know.

Regards

JoeKole
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
I did manage to squeeze in a quick game before going out this evening and it does indeed use the main navigation keys in the 12/3/6/9 O'clock positions Very Happy

All was stable in operation, but then I wasn't recording anything, but I do have time shift enabled.

A more thorough test will be done tomorrow when I can set up some non-essential recordings to happen whilst playing the game.

The ability to take the snake through the walls does make this game very easy though Shocked

All-in-all, a very nice tidy TAP so far. My daughter will be delighted since this game disappeared from most mobile phones Cool Very Happy

Many thanks

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
All works just fine during a dual record of BBC2 & ITV1 this morning Very Happy

So I think this TAP will be staying Very Happy Very Happy

What is the "Break" option supposed to do? In use, it appears just to stop the game without exiting the TAP. I'm not sure why you'd want this. A more useful use of "Break" would be to pause the game so that you could return to where you'd left off. Currently it zaps any progress you've made and leaves the OSD ready to start a fresh game.

One request though...

Is it possible to toggle the Eat Sound setting so that you can see if it's currently set to "on" or "off"?

Many thanks.

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Couple of other observations:-

1. Speeds 7 and above are virtually un-playable, just way too fast.

2. This TAP responds to the remote 100% of the time Very Happy
How come Question Even the built in Toppy interface doesn't do that Confused You know something everyone else doesn't Wink

Actually...Just remembered a third observation.

3. The game doesn't increase the speed once in play. I'm sure the original phone based game used to jack the speed up if you managed to play long enough to have made it to another level.

Starting to get hooked on it though. Hi score is 2357 starting on speed 5 (there's nothing on the telly Wink )

JoeKole
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
The Snake TAP seems to run pretty well and that is nice Smile The next step is to clean and document the source code and after that the 1.0 will be released.

It should be pretty easy to do the proposed developments and also the difficulty could be added e.g. as another level including some barriers ... hopefully someday we have also these features, but not in 1.0 (sorry not enough time during next weeks) unless some other software coder is willing to do these? Any volunteers?

The existing Snake "Break" feature is just to stop the game without exiting the TAP, which might be a nice way to change the player in a case when there are many players.

Here are some programming issues related to Snake

1) Key codes? It looks like that the v-/v+/p-/p+ and </>/V/^ are handled in TAP as same key codes and therefore this Snake TAP runs smoothly also with 5800. This key code issue is discussed e.g. in thread http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1934

2) Snake TAP responds to the remote 100% of the time? The remote controller click reaction optimization is a little bit feeling based issue, but it seems like at least these three things matter A) How quickly TAP returns into a state where it is ready to receive a keypress (TAP_EventHandler) B) Does the TAP run in TSR or Application mode C) Usage of TAP_Delay-function (don't use it). Remote controller click reaction issue is discussed e.g. in thread http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1878 and the described feeling based conclusions might be valid also in low CPU-load (fast) TAPs like Snake TAP.

Regards

JoeKole
meadfoot
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Jul 2005 Posts: 256
Tried it last night and it works fine both with no progs recording and with two recording.

I would echo Hydes remarks re the speed, above 7 is too fast. The original Snake as a TV game some 20 years ago got bigger at the same speed until it got too big (I suspect when the number of blocks reached a predetermined number) and then a new 'round' started at a greater speed. I can't remember if there were any extra barriers added during a 'round' or whether they just appeared at the start of each 'round'

Thanks for doing this I'm certain battery manufacturers will be pleased as more will be used Wink

Rog

Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/7/13

'I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand' Confucius
Mark_B
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 254
Great tap - its usually the simple games you go back to.....maybe we'll see space invaders and others coming along?

Tap works fine - and I'd echo the responsiveness comments - wonder why this is not the case in some other taps/firmware?
mlavende
Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 340
Mark_B wrote:
Great tap - its usually the simple games you go back to.....maybe we'll see space invaders and others coming along?

Tap works fine - and I'd echo the responsiveness comments - wonder why this is not the case in some other taps/firmware?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone do space invaders - one of my favourite games of all times.

-Mat

simonc
Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5639 Location: Cheltenham
There was a guy on the Aus forums that was doing this. I don't know if he's finished it yet http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/frm/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2445