Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  Portable hard drive suitability

Page 1 of 1
jumbo
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
I've just acquired a TechniSat PVR with external USB hard drive connectability. I've attached a WD Passport as I don't want a larger drive/caddy which would need to be manually switched off rather than de-powered automatically via USB. My question is about long-term suitability of such a small drive for the PVR functionality. I've only used this drive in the past as a "large" USB stick to carry files around rather than constant use. Would I risk shortening its life by using it for PVR?
underquark
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1790
Compared to the way Windows thrashes a hard drive with all the temp files I doubt that the relatively leisurely reading and writing is going to be a problem.

A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
DX
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
My first thought was how robust is the TechniSat PSU?

Similar drives I've used in the past have drawn a fait bit of current, much more than a conventional USB stick, so I wonder whether long term of use might put undue strain on the TechiSat PSU.
underquark
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1790
Ahh..no idea, I'm afraid. Reading Aamzon just now and they say the WD drive is pants because of poor USB connector.

A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
jumbo
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
DX wrote:
My first thought was how robust is the TechniSat PSU?

Similar drives I've used in the past have drawn a fait bit of current, much more than a conventional USB stick, so I wonder whether long term of use might put undue strain on the TechniSat PSU.
That's a good point. The WD drive is (supposedly) designed to be powered from standard (single connection) USB and does not have an external PSU. Thusfar it's been happy with the power generated by my little EEE (battery and mains). The TechniSat is German designed and comes with a 3 year warranty so I take comfort there. Perhaps I should make regular backups just to be safe.
Esling
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Nov 2005 Posts: 306 Location: Cheshire
[quote="jumbo"]
DX wrote:
The TechniSat is German designed and comes with a 3 year warranty so I take comfort there.

That's a myth created by Germans. Their engineering ablilities are actually very poor. In my working life as a project manager I worked on many projects that involved German engineering and in every single case they were found seriously wanting. What they ARE good at is making the same thing over and over again and eventually getting a good product. But god help you if you get one of the in between ones because their attention to detail in the early stages is very poor.
From a personal point of view I bought about 6 video recorders over time and only 1 actually went wrong so that I had to through it away and you've guessed it, it was a German one!

Darucla
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
Esling wrote:

From a personal point of view I bought about 6 video recorders over time and only 1 actually went wrong so that I had to through it away and you've guessed it, it was a German one!

Was that one of those German ones that was actually made by a Dutch company by any chance?

FWIW. my first video recorder was a black and white reel-to-reel machine, that required a new fangled receiver monitor to record anything off TV. After that I had a rented JVC clone, a Panasonic with an add-on remote control box, a Philips (which actually had RGB scart), a Pioneer (made by Hitachi), a couple of JVCs, and now own a very neglected Panasonic and (in another house) an Aiwa. None of them lasted for more than 4 years (the last two may not have reached that age yet and besides get so little use they don't count). My silver Topfield, at 5 years, is looking good in comparison, although I have replaced the capacitors (before it actually broke).

OTOH, my German-made Miele washing machine is in its third decade, and still does not have even a scratch.

gomezz
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3988 Location: Buckingham
Presumably because it operates auto-magically without any input from you (other than your dirty socks). Wink

Darucla
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
Au contraire, I live alone (which I presume is related to your comment). It has also moved house 4 times.

Esling
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Nov 2005 Posts: 306 Location: Cheshire
Darucla wrote:
Esling wrote:

OTOH, my German-made Miele washing machine is in its third decade, and still does not have even a scratch.

Like I said it's probably the 3 milionth that they,'ve made. They always get it right eventually although I suspect that your Miele was a lot more expensive than other comparable machines that would last just as long.
The only other German made thing of note I have bought was a very expensive Bosch battery powered electric hammer drill. It came with a screwdriver bit that broke in half the first time I used it. You can't a more basic example of poor engineering than that. The batteries that came with only last a few minutes before running out of puff and so I have now bought a mains powered B&Q one for about 1/6th the price that works fine every time.