Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Time Shift With Time Shift Disabled

Page 1 of 1
sebw
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 293 Location: Southampton
I have only just discovered that, even with Time Shift disabled, the current channel can be switched to Time Shifted playback mode by pausing the live viewing for a couple of seconds.

The playback buffer is then enabled from the time you pressed the pause button and offers all the features as if Time Shift was enabled.

Actually it was my 6 year old who discovered it. I suppose its intuitively obvious to an uncluttered mind!!

Sorry if this is 'old hat'.
cbmx6
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 36 Location: Bristol (Mendip transmitter)
This is my preferred way to operate the Toppy. Keeping timeshifting disabled by default cuts down on unnecessary seek noise. I'd rather do that even though I know I'm giving up the opportunity to rewind when watching "as live". You should also find that the hard disk shuts itself down after some minutes of inactivity, killing the "spin" noise.

And if I want to pause, I will (allowing for the couple of seconds of HD startup time if it's necessary).
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I'll move this over to the New Users area, since it's a helpful hint.

Nigel.
BigBad
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks for that tip - The Panasonic went back yesterday becouse of the constant disc noise. (And the menu system). This brings the Toppy back to the top of the list.