Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Description Extender

Page 33 of 33
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33
alan_m
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3523
Andy2No wrote:

I decided to give in and install my first ever patch - the DE patch (with Genre) EPGNavigator 5.1c now just shows

Is this the V6 version of 5.1c?
To find V6 see the short thread
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196195&highlight=#196195

Quote:

upgraded it to Infoviewer 1.7, which shows nothing at all because it doesn't respond to the "i" key any more.

You may need the Re patch but you want InfoViewer 1.9De from the authors home page. http://www.saunalahti.fi/tsalomak/info_viewer.html

Quote:

Do I really need this new firmware after 30th Septermber? I was quite happy with the old one, and all the taps I had before, which are now falling like ninepins.

As a minimum you needed Nf patch

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 197
[quote="alan_m"]
Andy2No wrote:
As a minimum you needed Nf patch
Ah! I've just been trying to figure out which firmware I had before I overwrote it with the "recommended" one - which turns out to be 5.13.65T. As I downloaded it, I couldn't help wondering why they hadn't told us the version number of the firmware, and ideally made it part of the file name... I digress.

The most recent firmware I saved before "recommended" was called TF5800NITfix1365.tfd, so I guess that includes the NF patch, of which you speak. I don't know if that's the one I had though, because I naively just went ahead and installed "recommended" without checking. I guess I'll know it when I see it, because everything will be back to normal (I hope).

Thanks for the other info. I'll look into that if I need to.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
Andy2No wrote:
but wouldn't it be easier to just release a new version of Description Extender so all those old taps that worked with the old one would just work automatically?
Easier said than done when you've not looked at the code, let alone MIPs assembler for what's now approaching 2 years. I'm not even sure what breaks the TAP in this new firmware.

Andy2No wrote:
for me it's just an appliance for watching telly when it's convenient and without the adverts.
Agreed, hence my stepping back from TAP writing, especially the complicated/no-fun-to-maintain ones.
Andy2No
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 197
I see. I didn't realise you'd stopped TAP writing. I don't blame you. Incidentally, I think you're probably the only TAP writer I ever got round to bribing, but it was a very small bribe so it's understandable that it wore off.

I wish Topfield would get their act together and install the functionality the Toppy obviously needs as part of their firmware release.

Anyway, it turns out that file (TF5800NITfix1365.tfd) identifies itself as 5.13.65 (no T) so I assume it's that plus NF. I've put that back on and restored the Description Extender 2.23 TAP to its rightful place in AutoStart, and it now works again, as does EPGNavigator 5.1c. I was naive enough to assume that actually was the version number - 5.1c. Never mind. I still have whichever version of that version I installed, some time ago.

I believe strongly in the "ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, so I've steered clear of installing the updates I was told to in the past. This time I fell for the BS, hook line and sinker. Lesson learned - just say NoooooOOOOOO!!!!!!

If smoke doesn't pour out of the box on the 1st of October, I'll leave well enough alone.