Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  Universal Remote Controls

Page 1 of 1
marinrider2
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 26 Location: Handsworth
Hello guys

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction for a really good but not stupidly priced universal remote that will work all of the items listed below.

Toppy 5800,
Samsung 40" LCD TV (model no can be supplied if required)
Samsung Bluray Player (model no can be supplied if required)
Virgin + box

So does anyone have any suggestions apart from taping all the remotes togther.

Thanks
jumbo
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:16 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
What's "stupidly priced"? Worse than that is "stupidly bought". To me anything above 70 is really silly. It's all relative: Some people have gone for a lot less whilst others have spend a great deal more!

A bit of searching goes a long way Rolling Eyes
juwlz
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
The Harmonies are good if you have a fairly complicated setup with multiple inputs / outputs to organise, e.g. if you have a HiFi / Home Theatre system. As you'll see in the thread that Jumbo linked to, I use a Harmony 895 in my lounge (with sound through HiFi and 2 Toppies to choose from).

In the bedroom, where the sound comes directly from the TV, I use a One-for-all URC 7781.

You need to have a good long think about which keys you use on each of your remotes (the Toppy's is likely to be the most challenging for universal remotes, as it has a number of keys, like white, which don't appear on universals), and - if you pick one that doesn't have a screen where you can create and label the "missing" buttons - decide which keys on the Universal you can use for which Toppy functions, and how easy it will be to remember which key on the universal corresponds to which key on the Toppy remote.

The Harmony 895, with its programmable screen makes it easy to label the softkeys anyhow you like. See also this post for why I picked the URC 7781 and how I have it set up. The OFA URCs take the "traditional" approach using macros to switch inputs, etc.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Esling
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Nov 2005 Posts: 306 Location: Cheshire
marinrider2 wrote:
Hello guys

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction for a really good but not stupidly priced universal remote that will work all of the items listed below.

Toppy 5800,
Samsung 40" LCD TV (model no can be supplied if required)
Samsung Bluray Player (model no can be supplied if required)
Virgin + box

So does anyone have any suggestions apart from taping all the remotes togther.

Thanks

I have 2 Harmony 525's and they work fine. 46.75 incl delivery on Amazon.
I can't comment on all of your specific equipment but the one in my lounge controls all of the following:-
Samsung 40" LCD TV
Toppy
Humax FoxSat
Denon DVD player
HDMI switch box (My Samsung TV only has 1 HDMI input and the switch box controls the DVD and Humax inputs)
IPod in a Bose Sound Dock
I would be amazed if it didn't work with your kit but if you contact Logitech I'm sure they would tell you.
Good luck!
Les

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Esling wrote:
...I would be amazed if it didn't work with your kit but if you contact Logitech I'm sure they would tell you.
Good luck!
Les
The Logitech website has a page that allows you to input all your kit and get feedback as to the level of support your selected remote provides. That should give you a level of comfort as to how good a purchase the Logitech remote you've chosen will perform.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
Esling
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Nov 2005 Posts: 306 Location: Cheshire
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
Esling wrote:
...I would be amazed if it didn't work with your kit but if you contact Logitech I'm sure they would tell you.
Good luck!
Les
The Logitech website has a page that allows you to input all your kit and get feedback as to the level of support your selected remote provides. That should give you a level of comfort as to how good a purchase the Logitech remote you've chosen will perform.

Even if the Harmony doesn't support a device you can still teach the Harmony from the original remote for a device.
I had to do this for my HDMI switch which is a very simple switch with only 5 number controls for each input.

jumbo
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
...and look at Amazon sites in the UK and US for the hundreds of comments and word of wisdom, reviews and ratings such as that found here!