Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Locking Recordings

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
malc
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
Why not then create a folder called watched and just move the episode there when you have watched it. It only takes seconds to do.
simonc
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
In principle that would work great, but for example C4 and E4 are pumping out Sex and the City at a rate we can't match, so I'd like to put it in a sub folder to keep the root clear. It's a bit of a pain to have to put another subfolder inside called Watched and remember to move it there. I'm sure a tap could do this, but it'd be better if there was a column in the archive to show that a bookmark had been added or that the programme had been watched all the way through.

Hmm, this box is a nightmare, it keeps giving me ideas for TAPs Very Happy
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Top Edit...

Sorry, I think I'm answering the wrong posts. It's all bit faster than I can type in here Laughing

------------------------------------------------------------------

One reason & a question:-

Reason

1. It's a timing thing...

If I've set something to record after we've gone to bed on a Friday or Saturday, then my daughter will have been up earlier than us on the Saturday (for programmes recorded Friday night), and Sunday (for programmes recorded on Saturday night); and had the potential to watch the programme before I've had a chance to lock it.

It's not a problem the rest of the week since we're either up together, and/or we don't watch TV on school mornings.

Question...

1. Folders

I'm not able to access my Toppy at the moment. Can you set a timer to record to a specific folder at the time you set the timer? Or is this something you can only do once the recording is in the archive?

If it's the latter, then it's subject to the same issue given in my reason above.

Even if I can set the folder prior to the setting of the timer it wouldn't stop someone navigating to that folder, although in my daughters case she'd probably take on board any verbal restrictions I made about navigating to it.

But to take temptation out of the equation, all I'm asking is that the ability to lock a recording is moved from it's current "Options" position post recording, to the popup window you get on a double press of the recording button prior to recording. Therefore, full protection provided (if you want to, it's not mandatory for those without children) at the point of setting the timer and before anyone's had a chance to view the programme.

[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13[/size:da1fd20a33]
simonc
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I did hear that in a forthcoming API there might be the ability to specify which folder to record to, so at the moment it isn't possible, but I'd imagine plenty of people would want to record regular programmes to specific folders - coronation street, simpsons etc.

If it's possible to lock a folder then this would solve the problem.
Darkmatter
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
If you fancy getting your hands dirty with TAP writing, then it?s not too difficult to write your own directory lister.

Just take over control of the File List button and make it do what you want. You could, for example, limit your program to one directory until an override code is entered.
Encrypter
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2005 Posts: 137 Location: Bristol, UK
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
I wouldn't bother, since the issue is clearly not one anybody is concerned about, judging by the lack of responses on this thread.

Regards
Hyde.

Who says no-one is concerned? I have some sympathy with the OP. but not everyone here is a parent and they may have different prioities.

You made a valid observation, it just didn't get the attention you wanted.

BTW. If you want this put as a feature request, I'd happily support it and I'm not a parent (AFAIK) but I have nieces the like.

EDIT
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
Sorry, I think I'm answering the wrong posts. It's all bit faster than I can type

Laughing You and me both Exclamation
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
This is now logged in the database, existing feature change request, number 50.

Sorry for the delay - I've been trying to earn a living the last week or so.

http://www.toppy.org.uk/services/bug_info.php?bid=50

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Many thanks

[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Just like to add to this request...

Can this feature (if it's not already) be made accessible via the API?

Having followed a number of TAP threads it would appear that a good deal of basic Toppy functionality is masked from TAP writers due to a poor API.

In fact, as a general rule of thumb, where we are requesting any new feature, or feature change, that it goes hand in hand with being accessible to TAP writers via the API.

Is this possible?

shenson
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 570
nwhitfield wrote:

Sometimes, this sort of thing actually avoids a necessary amount of introspection. Remember the Bulger case - there was no evidence presented in court that the children had seen a film, though there was a copy of it in one of the houses. The Sun urged people to burn copies of it, which is a shocking thing in a democracy, in my view. People became really exercised about something that may not have been at all relevant at all.

There was a similar campaign in the earlier Hungerford shootings as I recall related to the film Rambo. Which prompted someone at the BBC to vow never to show the film again.

Strangely neither incident has stopped both being shown several times on Sky since then...
simonc
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
and all four Rambo films on BBC3 recently!
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:27 am Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
Just like to add to this request...

Can this feature (if it's not already) be made accessible via the API?

Having followed a number of TAP threads it would appear that a good deal of basic Toppy functionality is masked from TAP writers due to a poor API.

In fact, as a general rule of thumb, where we are requesting any new feature, or feature change, that it goes hand in hand with being accessible to TAP writers via the API.

Is this possible?

Hurrumph, to get back on topic Surprised

wro
Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Aug 2005 Posts: 89
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
Can you only lock a recording after it's completed?

We record a good deal of stuff that's not suitable for our 9 year old daughter (the normal after the 9:00 O'clock watershed stuff).

However, at the weekend she likes to watch CBBC Saturday/Sunday mornings or play back recordings we've made of the childrens programmes during the week.

If I record something late at night once we've gone to bed on a Friday or Saturday, I don't get to lock the recording until the following morning. Too Late!

I'm not saying our daughter would deliberately watch these programes, but a simple scroll to the wrong one and hit play could bring up a recording we don't want her to watch.

Have I got this right?

If so, I'd like to see another "Feature/bugett" change that allows you to set the lock feature at point of recording. Like another option added to to the popup box you get when you press record twice whilst in the epg.

I have only just found this thread, while looking through the bugs pages. I asked exactly the same question on the Digital Spy forum a week ago.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=192899&page=120&pp=25

Post No.2981

I ignored Nigel's suggestion that I should send my kids to boarding school, and
someone else suggested a cupboard under the stairs!! Nigel did go on to say that they would think about adding it in a future upgrade which I hope will be done.