Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Feature Request

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
waistcoat
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Apr 2005 Posts: 109 Location: Welwyn Garden City [CP Transmitter]
I must admin that since loading the QuickJump TAP, I don't feel limited by the 6x max limit. I use the default quickjump settings which are during playback:
Red: Skip + 3 mins, Green: +1 min, Yellow: +30 secs, Blue: -10 secs, TEXT: -30 secs, PIPswap: -1 min.

Usually goes: press red until programme starts & then blue a few times if I've gone too far. Ad breaks go press Red (if programmes hasn't started press Green & possibly yellow until it starts) & then blue a few times again if too far.

You can customise how much each button skips by, but the defaults work fine for me.

-Waistcoat
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:31 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
onetoppyuser wrote:
If this feature were implemented, or at least there was a commitment to implement it in the next firmware release, I would definitely go for a Toppy without question.

According to the feedback we've had from our list of feature requests, this is something that will be worked on by Topfield. It was originallly noted as something that would be addressed in the original September firmware update. Now, that's not necessarily a firm commitment, since the schedule for that is out of the window right now, following the problems at the end of August, but they know we want it, and they've said that they'll do it - so how much the CAM limitation really is one, I don't know.

Nigel.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
onetoppyuser wrote:
I've been considering whether to buy a Topfield or a Sagem and want to buy one or the other within the next couple of weeks. I really want to know, before making a decision, whether there is any chance that this 6x seek limit will be fixed, ever?

It is most likely going to be a deal-breaker. It's a very, very essential piece of day-to-day UI interaction, so it really has to work well. A limit of 6x on the speed, for this type of device is not "working well". 30-second and 10-second jumps are not a suitable substitute either, because they lack real-time visual feedback.

I have to say, every other feature comparison makes me want to buy a Toppy, even if it is more expensive than some and the software QA seems a little suspect. However it's a close call and I might be tempted to just save a lot of money, buy a cheaper box now and wait for much more refined models to come out in a year or so.

If this feature were implemented, or at least there was a commitment to implement it in the next firmware release, I would definitely go for a Toppy without question.

I purchased my toppy at the beginning of August, even though this is the most expensive PVR I found on the market I don't have any regrets. Once I became familiar with the abilities of my new toy and its few limitations finding work-arounds became easy.

A visitor to these forums could easily get the impression that the Topfield 5800 was an unreliable piece of kit, however my personal experience over the last six weeks been very satisfactory only suffering 2 well documented problems

Recording failure when 2 timers start at exactly the same time, simply changing the start time of one of the recordings (1 minute earlier ) solved that problem.

And the lockup on BBC chanels. Making sure the toppy was placed in standby every night solved that problem for me.

I will admit that when first using my toppy the 6x limit was frustrating but that went away when I realised I could use the progress bar as a fast forward option. I have now replaced this method with the quickjump tap I hardly touch the the fast forward buttons anymore.

My point here is don't let the one sided negative feedback of these forums put you off the Topfield PVR. For me it has proved a well used and reliable product.

Perhaps a new thread should be started focusing on how good the 5800 actually is, and because Topfield allow third parties to write software for their products the Topfield owner can select a number of packages that more closely match there requirements (everybody benefits)

Fire-exit

September Beta firmware, Jags EPG and Quickjump