Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  September bugfix firmware withdrawn

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
DX
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
The difficulty with many of the current problems is in pinning down a reproducable case. While I have suffered from a couple of lost recordings with the latest firmware I have had many more recordings that succeeded. I am at a loss to explain why, and I don't think a test script will help here.

It's worth having test scripts to catch the cases where something is totally broken, but most of the current problems aren't in that category. Don't get me wrong - I think there should be a basic functionality test script to sanity check each release - but I don't think they are a silver bullet either.
simonc
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
In my last job, the golden rule we applied in a product with more than a million line of code and 5 years of development and testing effort was to not touch anything we didn't need to touch. Every time you change something unnecessarily you're effectively throwing away a lot of valuable test work and, in the case of a consumer gadget like this, a lot of customer goodwill.
jonc
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:37 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 May 2005 Posts: 162
Quote:
The difficulty with many of the current problems is in pinning down a reproducable case. While I have suffered from a couple of lost recordings with the latest firmware I have had many more recordings that succeeded. I am at a loss to explain why, and I don't think a test script will help here.

Yes, but you cannot reliably fix anything for which a reproducible case doesn't exist, if just for the simple fact that the fixing engineer can't test his/her fix other than "in the wild" Smile. The fact that there may not be reliable reproducible cases for current bugs doesn't mean that there can't be, and the golden rule in such cases is always to drive for a reproducible case first (with useful input from here, but with the onus on Topfield).

Quote:
It's worth having test scripts to catch the cases where something is totally broken, but most of the current problems aren't in that category.

Timer's that don't end? Although I accept that these issues didn't come up with the Beta testers (a) the nature of the problem and (b) the fact it cropped up only hours after firmware release for multiple people suggests to me that this is a prime case for a bit of core functionality that should have been proved working with a set of test cases.

I agree that for the testing of more subtle functionality running test cases are using a sledge hammer to crack a nut. However, I personally don't think what we're seeing at the moment comes under this category...

I like my Topfield, and in no-way am I thinking of jumping ship. I would, however, like to be happier that the firmware isn't being modified in a "hit and hope" type way (for which I'm not currently convinced it isn't). From a constructive standpoint, I would hope to see more testing applied both in the beta stage (which has now been flagged) and within Topfield via their own processes to help flag issues earlier and get 'em fixed.
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
The beta firmware has arrived with me, and this evening the current team of testers will do some initial sanity checking on it. Subject to nothing really horrible happening, it will be made available to the rest of the forum tomorrow morning.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 433 Location: Halifax, Emley Moor transmitter
Ta for the heads up, Nigel