Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Patch out AFD handling

Page 1 of 1
daveliney
Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Jan 2007 Posts: 119
I was wondering--probably in R2-D2's direction--if it was possible to patch out the Toppy's AFD handling?

My reason being that the BBC always broadcast a 16:9 stream and for 4:3 material use an AFD to tell the Toppy to do centre cut out, which is fine, except I have a dim TV that treats all RGB input as wide.

If the Toppy could just output the broadcast piller-boxed 16:9 picture all would be well.
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Aren't there TAPs around that do this sort of thing?

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
Aren't there TAPs around that do this sort of thing?

I use one of them for the non-BBC channels, and they work well, as the other channels follow the guidelines and broadcast 4:3 material in a 4:3 stream.

Unfortunately there is a bug in TAP_Channel_Scale, which the TAPs use, so although the image is 4:3 it is still treated as 16:9 so the image is the correct width but is also scaled vertically.
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
If you can give me examples of programmes (that I could record) that cover all the possibilities then I could have a go at trying to understand which bit might need twiddling. I'm interested because the HDMI output on my TF5810 cocks this sort of thing up, although I suspect (in that case) it's worse than just the AFD handling.

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
sounds like the OP wants to work around a problem with his TV.

CW

daveliney
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
If you can give me examples of programmes (that I could record) that cover all the possibilities.

Anything not widescreen on a BBC channel, for example TOTP2 tonight at 23:30 on BBC2, or The Good Life tomorrow at 20:30. Porridge, Dad's Army, and the old Christmas specials are the ones I've recorded recently that have annoyed me enough to post a message.

They get output as a 4:3 image but when I copy the rec files to my PC I can see that they are broadcast as a 16:9 image.
daveliney
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
sounds like the OP wants to work around a problem with his TV.

No disagreement there. The TV does the wrong thing, though I'm not alone otherwise the DumbWideScreen tap wouldn't have been written. All would be okay though if the BBC didn't broadcast 4:3 material in a 16:9 frame, or there wasn't the bug in TAP_Channel_Scale.
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
daveliney wrote:
Anything not widescreen on a BBC channel
I must admit I'd not noticed it before, since my TVs have always flipped to 4:3 (as they should) but, as you noted, VLC shows the difference clearly (with black side bars). [Af] AFDDisable appears to disable this mechanism, which seems to be unique to our TF58x0 firmwares (although not the really early ones). Proper 4:3 broadcasts will still be 4:3, but you will notice the difference with BBC 4:3 broadcasts since any OSD will now occupy the full 16:9 display (and that then makes the "proper" 4:3 version with the squished OSD look odd!).

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
You're a star! That's worked perfectly. Finally no more stretchy-vision.
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention that this does solve the HDMI issue on the TF5810, but only for BBC 4:3 broadcasts (since they're really 16:9). I suppose that, at least, offers a good reason for the BBC doing it like this.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2005 Posts: 299
Wowee. [Af] is just what I wanted. Thanks R2.

I run the WSSKiller tap, setup to reproduce 4:3 broadcasts in a 16:9 frame because my plasma screen does not do 4:3 to my liking. This worked as long as the 4:3 was not coming from the BBC.

BBC 4:3 (already in a 16:9) frame got squished out of shape, until I applied [Af]. Just like magic, everything is now as I want it.

Thanks again, R2.