Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Couple of Basic Function Queries

Page 1 of 1
phil
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:58 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 56
sorry...can't find them in the manual.

1) how do I get a list of scheduled recordings?

2) how do I get it to skip 30 secs..or is this a tap thing?

thanks in advance

plm
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:00 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 30
List for sheduled recordings is

Menu > Recording > Timer Setting

unfotunately it only shows channel and time, not what  you are planning to record.
Darkmatter
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Phil wrote:
2) how do I get it to skip 30 secs..

In every other 5000 series Toppy, except our own; the yellow button jumps forward 30 seconds (providing there?s no bookmarks set), and the blue button jumps back 10 seconds. Unfortunately, these functions are not available in our TF5800, they have been removed along with the bookmark functions.

You can get close ? but I don?t find it convienient.
  • You have the three FF and REW speeds ? press FF once for x2, press FF again for x4, press a third time for x6. There?s a delay in the Toppy responding, so it?s quite easy to miss the speed you want. You have to press FF, wait, then press again. Unfortunately, pressing FF four times takes you back to normal speed ? which I invariably seem to end up on.

• You also have the progress bar. Either press PLAY to bring up the progress bar, or press and hold down FF (or REW) ? that will also bring up the progress bar. Now you can scroll back and fore in time using the left and right arrow buttons and << or >>

[Edit] Darkmatter: fixed broken quotes

Last edited by Darkmatter on Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
phil
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 56
thanks....that looks more like you are about to set something rather than view a list. Thats my excuse anyway!

Just found out what planned (as opposed to record) does...when the channel changed on it's own...would be better if it just told you like the Sky+...but it's better than nowt.
igster
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Another way to skip forward quickly is to type a figure into the keypad during playback. It'll zoom to that % through the recording.
glesgaguy
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
Can someone advise me regarding the "signal strength" and the "quality strength" meters ?

Mine show bars going from yellow to red and yellow to blue.

Which one is which ?

Thank's
pesky
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 61 Location: North of England.
The one at the top, going from yellow to red, is the signal strength.  The one going from yellow to blue is the quality.

Signal strength refers to the strength of the carrier wave (i.e. radio signal) when the box is tuned to the frequency you've set.  It will vary depending how good the TV signal is in your area.  It doesn't really matter how strong this is as long as it's strong enough for the box to be able to detect and decipher the digital signal: a level of 60% might be fine.

Once the box has got to the point where it can detect and decipher the digital signal you reach another problem: the radio signal on your chosen frequency might be very strong, but it might be full of garbage, drowned out by some non-TV source.  So there's another rating, the 'quality' one, which refers to how much of the digital stream the box can decipher.

To think of a simple way of measuring this, imagine if the box kept track of the last 1000 packets of information it had tried to decode.  If it decoded them all successfully, and they all checkedsummed perfectly, then it says that the signal has a quality of 100%.  If it fails to decode 20 of them, or if 20 of them decoded into something, but failed the checksum, then it says it has a quality of 98%.

Finally I'll just note that our system does have built-in redundency: it contains some of its information more than once so that if one copy is screwed up it might be able to use the other copy.
glesgaguy
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Thank's Pesky

We live and learn Wink
misha
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 169 Location: London - South West
Hello,
Is it possible to set a maual timer (not via EPG). On the timers  screen it says to press "Red" to insert new timer - when I press the red button nothing happens, however...
Thanks,
Misha
glesgaguy
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
The manual is not very good, some of the buttons mentioned do not perform the suggested operation.

I believe you set timers manualy by pressing MENU-RECORDING- TIMERS