Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Missing BBC 1 Channel Name...

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
EMJB
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3643 Location: Maldon Essex
R2-D2 wrote:
EMJB wrote:
Have done a one minute recording (anything shorter auto-deletes even with no TAPs running) which is ~40 MBytes, but I only have ~25 MB of spare ISP server capacity left.
You could use CutFile to make it smaller, or upload to a temporary server (rapidshare, etc.), or use dvbsnoop to look at the contents in more detail.

Took up your first suggestion, and have uploaded it to here. Hope that helps you get to the bottom of the problem - not serious at the moment but perhaps very nasty if it occurs on other channels as well.

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Hmm... it appears they are doing something strange with just "BBC ONE"... maybe testing the water? They've prefixed it with the DVB character coding sequence to select ISO-8859-1 "Western European" (which is rather pointless...): 0x10, 0x00, 0x01. The Toppy does have code to cope with other codings, but I can't remember if it's got the full selection of three byte codes -- it's causing an issue so I imagine not...

(Incidentally, VLC has problems with this too, and shows the channel name as the normal "unknown character" box.)

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, R2-D2, for at least confirming that its not us doing something silly. I suppose we should be grateful that it was BBC1 they tried it on - it would have been much more annoying if it had been one in the mddle of the list. Do I sense another patch on the horizon before this becomes a widespread issue??

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
Do I sense another patch on the horizon before this becomes a widespread issue?
It's a tricky one. It sounds like there's a bug in the native display and handling of the channel name... most likely there's an assumption that the string is terminated with a NULL, but the DVB three byte character codings have NULL as the second byte (which is as poor a design decision as I have ever seen...). A workaround may involve not storing those bytes, or something.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Somebody brave might like to try [Sd] SDTFix, which might help or might crash instantly (since I've not had a chance to test it). It ought to be OK to apply dynamically.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
Somebody brave might like to try [Sd] SDTFix, which might help or might crash instantly (since I've not had a chance to test it).

The latter, unfortunately, when applied dynamically to 1365 (CW's recommended version plus a few other patches)

EMJB

N.B. To Moderator: It seems clear that this is a genuine new bug - should it be moved to the "bugs" section?
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
The latter, unfortunately, when applied dynamically to 1365
Can you re-download it and try again? (Blooming routine is used once and they don't supply half the parameters!)

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
EMJB wrote:
The latter, unfortunately, when applied dynamically to 1365
Can you re-download it and try again? (Blooming routine is used once and they don't supply half the parameters!)

Not this evening, I'm afraid, but there must some other brave people in NE Essex!

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
Not this evening, I'm afraid
Afraid? Smile I forgot to mention that I've now had chance to test it but (of course) I don't have the problem in my region.

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
Patch worked fine when applied dynamically - BBC1 appeared "instantly" in the native archive & Improbox, but of course had to reload MyStuff to gets its logo right. Will now apply it "properly".

As this seems to be a "heads you win, tails you don't lose" type of patch, I strongly recommend this patch is added to your "Essential" list, and to the "Recommended" patched firmwares before it becomes a widespread problem.

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
Bad (or is it good?) news - BBC seem to have stopped transmitting the funny data. I have just rebooted without the patch and the problem did not recur, so am not 100% sure whether the patch worked or whether I happened to try it just as they changed the data back.

Will prepare a recording later & upload it for R2-D2 to look at.

EMJB
chunkywizard
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi EMJB,

keep us posted. If it comes back I will make a copy of the MyStuff Recommended Firmware available with the Sd patch included.

CW

EMJB
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Have prepared a new micro-recording, and uploaded to here.

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
Have prepared a new micro-recording
All look fine now. I wonder how many complaints they got for that little "experiment"? Smile

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
I wonder how many complaints they got for that little "experiment"? Smile
I'm surprised there have not been more on this site, and in a quick look I can't see anything on Digital Spy so the problems may be unique to the Toppy. Anyway thanks for your efforts to resolve it.

chunkywizard wrote:
If it comes back I will make a copy of the MyStuff Recommended Firmware available with the Sd patch included.
My concern is that if there has not been an outcry it will come back on all BBC channels in all regions one day when you are holiday etc, so personally I would favour incorporating it anyway. I can't see any disadvantage other than the work preparing the new version - perhaps waiting till the next time you change it for other reasons would be a good compromise.

EMJB