<  TAP and patch development  ~  BIOS fix -- very experimental

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
glenmcfar wrote:
Glad to be of assistance... Evil or Very Mad
I'm no good at breaking things (when I'm trying to...), but you seem jolly good at it, so you're doing a great service for the Toppy community. Smile

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
Stage 1: new version of patch, [Bf] BiosFix_02. This one will try 10 times to send the message, and then give up. So there should be no possibility of locking up any more, but it won't actually make any difference to overflows that happen with interrupts disabled.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
I'm not so brave that I'll update this and leave it to the wife, so I'm afraid it'll be the weekend before this gets a trial run.

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
Stage 2: [Bq] BiosQueue rearranges the BIOS message queue buffers so that the Front Panel one is quadrupled (64 calls) and the DVB Section Filtering one is doubled (128 calls). This is at the expense of mainly (what I think are) the CAM queues (which I've never seen used at all on my machine), with a little bit of space pinched from the MHEG queue (again, never seen it used much at all). I'd say that [Bf] BiosFix_02 was needed as well, just to add a bit more robustness. (A proper solution requires Topfield to do proper error checking in their code and react appropriately, especially for the important messages.)

On developing this patch I noticed that they may have listened about the overflow that causes the timer bug but their solution was inadequate: in 5.13.56 they doubled the Front Panel buffer to 32 calls (rather than fixing the code that sends too many calls).

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
As, for once, I am running a stable build of MS I thought I would try this out, just patched by firmware with BfBq and I will let you know if I see any quirks. BTW, it booted fine Razz

CW

Tai Chi Steve
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Nov 2006 Posts: 204 Location: Sutton Coldfield Transmitter
Hi R2, sorry for delayed feedback. I tried the original Bf, but encountered problems. After the toppy had been on for a while, it refused to go into standby either manually or automatically. After several cold reboots, I reverted to the firmware without Bf.

I've tried the two new patches and all seems well so far.

Are there any checks you'd like us to perform, or any potential patch or TAP conflicts?

Do these still need to be patched into the firmware and then flashed?

Other:ad_skipper_43_0.03a ChannelManager5.1 FavouritesManager2.0d HDDInfo2.1 RecordingFixer1.3 SignalMonitor0.51 SimpleCharEditor3.09 TAPCommander1.31 UKOZSurfer0.14
NSLU2 Unslung6.10 rt2mei0.63 RecShellExt
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Tai Chi Steve wrote:
Do these still need to be patched into the firmware and then flashed?
Yes, that's the safest thing for the [Bf] patch, and the [Bq] patch can only be applied that way.

The [Bq] patch probably needs someone with a CAM to try out a bit to see if there are any noticeable issues. And maybe a heavy MHEG user.

I'm currently playing with logging all the BIOS calls, and it's really only the DVB Section Filter ones that happen constantly (as might be expected). The unfiltered logging is interesting because it really slows down the system and causes glitches in the TV reception, as well as massive use of the buffer. I think this shows that the memory leak could actually happen under any circumstances but the USB transfers combined with a bit of playback and (old version) eit2mei activity is probably the easiest way to overload the system.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
R2-D2 wrote:
The [Bq] patch probably needs someone with a CAM to try out a bit to see if there are any noticeable issues.

You called? I'll try these patches out this weekend. If it crashes my box while I'm watching the Old Firm game then heads will roll...

I see TCSteve had exactly the same problem as me with the first Bios fix patch. Mind you, looking at his sig I'm amazed his box can be bothered starting at all Twisted Evil

Glen.

Tai Chi Steve
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Nov 2006 Posts: 204 Location: Sutton Coldfield Transmitter
Thanks for the info. I've not got a CAM, but I'll have a fiddle with MHEG and see what happens, although I have had odd MHEG issues before. But I do seem quite skilled in breaking my toppy.

In my sig, only the Autostart and XStart load all the time - with QuickBlank and TF5000Display not running on timer wakeup, but with all the great TAPs and patches, the sig limit is getting more and more restrictive! Smile My toppy does work hard, although with a tlc package it's much happier, cooler and quieter.

EDIT: Updated

I had a look at the MHEG last night, played around with it for about 2 hours or so. To stress the toppy, I set up dual recording on different muxes and started interactive from a different channel to those recording - I always tried to avoid using interactive when recording before. I tried the text services on Sky Three, BBC and ITV, and tried some of the games too. With this, and general use, I have found no issues with the patches so far.

I have also found a repeatable way to run news multiscreen, on my setup at least. When I start BBC interactive, then select news multiscreen, I wait for the large toppy 'loading' prompt with the red background, I then fiddle with the volume control, pressing it about once every second until the multiscreen appears, and this has got the multiscreen up with sound and video every time. I'll post this in the appropriate thread too, but thought I'd also mention it here.

Just tried a non-turbo USB transfer. Before initiation, memwatcher 1.1 showed free memory of 13,655,809 (varies) and 11,801,089. After 70 mins of transfer with me not operating the toppy (MS refreshes every 30 mins and all Autostart and XStart TAPS) the figures were 13,540,609 (varies) and 9,567,489. I then started a recording of BBC1, switched to Channel 5, started that recording, got an instant reboot and VF&F - Told you I was good at breaking my toppy!

Last edited by Tai Chi Steve on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Other:ad_skipper_43_0.03a ChannelManager5.1 FavouritesManager2.0d HDDInfo2.1 RecordingFixer1.3 SignalMonitor0.51 SimpleCharEditor3.09 TAPCommander1.31 UKOZSurfer0.14
NSLU2 Unslung6.10 rt2mei0.63 RecShellExt
Andy K
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
Just for the record I have seen two instances of problems while running Bf1.

Problem was the clock being displayed, no standby LED, no scart output.

1st time I was running MEI2ETI
2nd time I wasn't.

Will upgrade the patch now.

Last edited by Andy K on Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Autostart TAPs: Jags 3, Bookmark 2uk, Quickjump 1.71, Power Manager 1.1, Description Extender 1.5/2.1, MEI2Archive 3.8l6, Tap Launcher 3.5a, Tap Commander, AccurateBMExtend 0.3, RemoteExt 1.5, TunerRecAR.2
Launched during EPG scan: Crid, SeriesLink 0.35
TF5800 Version 5.13.65 PHT2UFXp5Xw3RpPcE2Bf2BqRsRh3Pf1Ec2ErEfHe1 Ra3Cf2Ct
Samsung 400Gb+Fan
jumbo
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
I've been running it for a while but it seems that my Toppy is just too comatose to get stressed and do something different; so I've just removed it just in case it did something unexpected when I go on holiday.

Last edited by jumbo on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
1.5 days and no issues so far.

CW

Bauke
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Sep 2005 Posts: 142 Location: Netherlands
R2-D2 wrote:
The [Bq] patch probably needs someone with a CAM to try out a bit to see if there are any noticeable issues. And maybe a heavy MHEG user.

Hi,

I have installed the Bf and the Bq fix on my 5000PVR using 2 CAM's.
No problems so far.

I will leave them in until Saturday, I'm taking a short break starting Sunday, not sure if I'm brave enough to let them while being away.

Bauke

glenmcfar
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Bf(2) and Bq have been happily running on my machine since yesterday morning. Without knowing what to look for, all has been fine. No problems with the CAM - recorded and watched Setanta for 2.5 hours today.

Glen.

chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
3 days and still alright. Also I archived 20+ DS9's with turbo both on and off and it's solid as a rock - nice Cool

CW