Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Transferring Firmware between Toppies

Page 1 of 1
alpine*
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2007 Posts: 84 Location: Rayleigh Crystal Palace Tx
My parents would like to try the new F/P on the next OTA.

I would like to transfer their F/W to my Toppy before they try it, just incase they prefer the original F/W, which I can then transfer back again. I thought I read how to do this somewhere (can't find it in the manual) does anyone know where it is or give any tips on how to do this?

Thanks
glenmcfar
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
You can download the firmwares from this website and transfer them using a PC and a USB cable.

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
There's a facility for doing this in the Toppy's main menu, and I believe you need to use the serial port with an appropriate cable. But I don't know if anyone's ever done it.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1262
Is it not easier to use HDFW to backup the current FW on the box, and then use it to revert if required?

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
R2-D2 wrote:
There's a facility for doing this in the Toppy's main menu, and I believe you need to use the serial port with an appropriate cable. But I don't know if anyone's ever done it.

doesn't that load it to the reciever, not as a file ,but writing direct to flash?

anyway to the OP here's some relevant help http://www.toppy.org.uk/newusers/manual6a.php

the other thing I would check is.. is the firmware currently installed OTA capable ?
can't remember when this was introduced , was it bastille onwards?

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
August 2005 (5.12.00) was the first firmware that was OTA capable, and the first one sent as an OTA was around the end of that year, version 5.12.25.

The Bastille (5.12.88) firmware was the first one that added an on-screen indicator to tell people when there's an OTA available.

Last edited by nwhitfield on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2005 Posts: 205
Just to make it clear, it is not really worth getting the firmware off of the Toppy. What you should do is
1) make a note of the current firmware (I think it is in Menu->System)
2) Download that firmware from toppy.org.uk (http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/firmware.php)
3) If you need to revert to that firmware see http://www.toppy.org.uk/documents/Upgrading%20Firmware%20%28July%202006%29.pdf for a guide of how to do that via the USB connection to your computer.
alpine*
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2007 Posts: 84 Location: Rayleigh Crystal Palace Tx
As the instructions are not clear enough for me to understand I won't be using the PC to update, that is why I wanted to try the transfer between the two Toppies and use the OTA. I guess the HDFW involves the PC as well?

Another thing... does anyone know if the 5v antenna supply is on with FP when in standby? I know it isn't on previous F/W but it needs to be on FP to track start data. So if you use a masthead amp powered from the Toppy - no recording.

Thanks again