Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  USB allows video up & download?

Page 1 of 1
RobD
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Can you transfer recorded programs to your PC via the USB 2, and vice-versa. ???

Sorry if this is very obvious, but I have just hunted around for about 5 mins.

Thinking about buying competitor system (hiss, hiss), but have always wanted a stand-alone system that I could then archive favourite programs off the PC to archive.

Thanks for the help   Smile  
Darkmatter
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Hello RobD, and welcome to the UK Toppy forums.

The Toppy will allow you to download programmes to it, as well as upload them to the PC. However, it?s not a quick process, as the data transfer rates are low. It?s far easier to burn the programmes to a DVD for playback in a DVD player, or just watch them on the PC.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 433 Location: Halifax, Emley Moor transmitter
I copied last night's Dr Who (1.5GB) across from the Toppy to PC via the USB connection in about 11 minutes using Turbo Mode in Altair.

I didn't think it was too bad. Shame it's not full USB2 speed though. Any ideas why they didn't implement full speed?

RobD
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
wow that was fast, I was just thinking "when will some kind person reply to my very newbie question"...
bing..first reply

so then I was thinking "that's good news but how slow is slow?" and was just posting the question, when ...bing... Dr Who benchmark.

Thanks to both Darkmatter and groovyf.

So if I understand right, buy the basic box, download Altair, and Bingo?  Surprised
Darkmatter
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
That?s about right - 18.18 Mbps (Megabits per second)

I notice the broadcast bit rate is around 3.56 Mbps (av). I get a file 1014MB (MegaBytes) in size, and 38 minute duration. That?s gives a figure of approximately 1 minute transfer time, for every 5.11 minutes of broadcast time.

[Note ? broadcast rates are variable]
Using figures from ITV1 ? I get 1 minute transfer time, for every 4.28 minutes of broadcast time. (5570MB, 175min)

We can refine the figures as more data becomes available - as a first ballpark estimate it?s 1 minute transfer time, for every 4 to 5 minutes of broadcast time.

[Note ? I?ve used groovyf?s transfer time 11mins for 1.5GB, as my PC is USB1.1]

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Smile this all sounds very good, I think that it may be time to exercise the plastic, one other thing that I was wondering...

We are reasonably high on a hill in London, I was hoping to use an indoor aerial, and possibly a (maplin) aerial amp, or should I bite the bullet and get an external, does anyone have experience using the Topfield with an internal aerial?

Also is it ok to repost some of this information on another BBS, there are a couple of guys who might be interested there?
Darkmatter
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that?s fine, by all means distribute the information. Although, you may like to invite them over here to continue the discussion.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that I have included the URL.

It's a BBS with an offline-reader which means that people are not always connected to the net when they are reading it.

nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Would that be Cix, then?

Nigel.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Sad OK guv, it's a fair cop then,  I'll show you where I stashed the stuff <fx opens cupboard marked Cix DigitalTV/FreeView>.

Wait a moment you're one of them, aren't you, I (almost) never forget a face...
tmfa
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
RobD wrote:
Smile this all sounds very good, I think that it may be time to exercise the plastic, one other thing that I was wondering...

We are reasonably high on a hill in London, I was hoping to use an indoor aerial, and possibly a (maplin) aerial amp, or should I bite the bullet and get an external, does anyone have experience using the Topfield with an internal aerial?

I'm using a Toppy with an internal aerial. I've had one or two recordings have minor drop-outs but I think that's my wierd home-made aerial. I'm in Croydon, so I'm pretty close to the transmitter at Crystal Palace.

[Edit] Darkmatter: fixed broken quotes
hwood
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm 2 miles from Crystal Palace and use the Toppy with a set-top aerial and have no  dropouts.