Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  More detail on the "no sound" fix?

Page 1 of 1
TimM
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I've got a brand new Topfield (delivered yesterday) and it's first recording (The film Elmer Gantry last night on ITV) has no sound.

I've applied today's upgrade (good timing on the release maybe) - but the film is still silent. Is the bug in the recording or the playback? Is the file useless? Is the bug really fixed?

I've tried the suggestions on various pages like changing channels turning it off and on - and copying the file - all to no effect.

It seems pretty pointless having a recorder which doesn't do sound - so it's not an auspicious start.
charley
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Posts: 1563 Location: Belfast
TimM wrote:
I've tried the suggestions on various pages like changing channels turning it off and on - and copying the file - all to no effect..
Sorry you have got off to a bad start. Have you tried playing a bit then rewinding a bit then playing again. I know that it sounds crazy but it has been known to work. Otherwise if you really want the movie copy to a PC and process it with Project X and/or VideoRedo, see various posts about this in the Forum.

Toppy: TF5800PVR250GB &300GB;Firmware: ; Remote: Harmony 655; Tx:Divis; Autostart TAPs: MEISearch 1.35, MyStuff 6, AutoReboot V2.2, epg2mei, Power Manager v2.0, TAP Commander 1.2, TF5000 Display v1.50, MHEG_State; Other:
simonc
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
The first recording I did back in May had no sound. The soundtrack menu showed Track 01. Unfortunately the only way to get sound back in this case is to transfer the recording to a PC and do rather a lot of messing around.

The good news is that you shouldn't get this problem again now you've upgraded to the August firmware.
heckbulb
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:16 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 70 Location: Devon, UK
Whenever a recording plays back with no sound, pressing Info, and then selecting Soundtrack and then Auto, always seems to bring it back.
Refrenz
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 06 May 2005 Posts: 45 Location: Wales, UK
heckbulb wrote:
Whenever a recording plays back with no sound, pressing Info, and then selecting Soundtrack and then Auto, always seems to bring it back.

I have a no sound recording and nothing will get the sound back. I have tried selecting 'Auto' on the toppy, tried the Project X trick, and the best results were partial restoration of sound. i.e. the soundtrack was playing but cutting out every few seconds. I know the soundtrack exists in full as I have extracted the audio from the rec file on my PC.
tichtich
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
Refrenz wrote:
I have a no sound recording and nothing will get the sound back. I have tried selecting 'Auto' on the toppy, tried the Project X trick, and the best results were partial restoration of sound. i.e. the soundtrack was playing but cutting out every few seconds.

See this thread for how to fix your recording:
http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10396

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
Refrenz
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 06 May 2005 Posts: 45 Location: Wales, UK
tichtich wrote:
Refrenz wrote:
I have a no sound recording and nothing will get the sound back. I have tried selecting 'Auto' on the toppy, tried the Project X trick, and the best results were partial restoration of sound. i.e. the soundtrack was playing but cutting out every few seconds.

See this thread for how to fix your recording:
http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10396

Cheers tichtich, I missed that one. Will try it out now ...

EDIT: It worked!!! Hurrah, yipee, etc ... many thanks!