Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Firmware Bug (Undesirable Feature)

Page 1 of 1
jumbo
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Improbox had a fantastic feature of pressing green/yellow buttons to silently and quickly jump back/forward by a time configured by the user! Nicely written by Gerti and worked like a dream. I say had because:

New firmware pops-up the stupid progress bar every time the yellow/green keys are pressed which has effectively messed up this nice feature of Improbox. So much for TAP compatibility. I am furious. Gerti (the author of Improbox) has been trying to ease the pain of this unwanted feature but concludes that Topfield must get rid of this irritating feature. Where is that critical bug list!

PS I don't want the Toppy to have WiFi, Ethernet, BlueTooth, Cheescake or Bannana I want to skip ads quickly and smoothly and Improbox had it - before the update Evil or Very Mad
Traxmaster
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
Looks like I shall continue to use the old firmware with improbox until this is fixed. I use these configuarable jump keys as the post above all the time.

I believe this new problrm was known about before the firmware was released.
Traxmaster
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
Edit "Double post"

Last edited by Traxmaster on Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Folks,

there are lots of discussions under the Improbox thread on this, including a work around....

Cheers

Chunkywizard

Traxmaster
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
I can see there is a work around, but work arounds are not ideal.
Can the behaviour be changed back to the way it worked previously?

Can this be logged as a bug or feature request?
simonc
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
I thought this 'feature' would have a high annoyance factor but, as Nigel pointed out, it's pretty minor compared with recordings with no sound, lost timers and keyboard crashes. TAP writers can work around the problem and we'll just have to put up with a flickery progress bar (remember the good ol' days of ProgressBarKeys 7?). Personally, I won't be going back to the May firmware just yet.

That said, I think we should still raise this as being a 'must fix in the next update' bug - the previous behaviour was so much more elegant.
jumbo
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
It is about time Topfield understood that there are competent people out there trying hard (successfully) to address the shortcomings of the Toppy. It is NOT in Topfield's interest to make life hard for these people by introducing side-effects to their TAPs.

I would not be surprised if TAP related issues due to new firmware could be easily resolved by releasing new TAP libraries rather than pretend that it is some complicated issue that needs another 2 months. Improbox, Jag's EPG and lately, UK Timers have proved that intelligence is what is required here!

By the way what one person finds annoying another might find amusing. "No sounders" were annoying until you deleted them. This new feature is constantly there Evil or Very Mad