Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Upcoming upgrade

Page 1 of 1
DB1
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
I see that Unbeatable is a) out of stock and b) says that all new stock will have 5.11.79 s/w - Is this the expected August update?
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Nope; 5.11.79 is the current May firmware.

From the Upgrading and enhancing section of the FAQS:

Quote:
How do I find out what firmware version I have?

Press the Menu button, and select Information on the main menu, then press OK. On the next screen, select IRD Status, and select OK again. The important information is the Appplication Version and the Last Update. For the original UK firmware, this will be version 5.11.52, dated March 15 2005, while for the May 2005 update it will be 5.11.77 or 5.11.79.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Damn - I was sure I had read that *before* posting: Sad

How about a note somewhere that just gives the latest version number?

(edit) Or even a table?
Darkmatter
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
cough?..front page?entitled ?August 2005 firmware update FAQ?

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
We can't tell you what the latest firmware version will be until we have that firmware, but as soon as possible after the update, we'll amend the FAQs to give the correct version for the August update.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I am being in a remarkably unsubtle mood today. I?ll try again: Our test firmware indicates 5.11.99 and before that it was 5.11.96, but as Nigel says, we don?t know if that number indicates a special version, or not. We half expect Topfield to change the number before release, but we don?t have any more information. Having said that, we do expect the release to ahead on schedule, so we?ll all find out very soon.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Darkmatter wrote:
cough?..front page?entitled ?August 2005 firmware update FAQ?

Well I hardly ever see the front page as I have the forums bookmarked, but I was thinking of a table rather than a paragraph. version - release date - bad bugs etc. Like 10th May better than 11th if you don't care about radio. OK so we have not got much version history - yet............
Darkmatter
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I did see something similar over on the Oz forums, I not sure if they went anywhere with that. Here, I think we?ll probably keep it simple, just a recommendation to use a particular version. The forthcoming release looks a good candidate for that, we?ll just have to wait and see what happens when there?s a wider user base, and permutation go massively bigger. To muller an old military phrase, no software ever survives first contact with the users Wink

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Do feel free to compile one, if you like Wink

I've not even unpacked the shopping that arrived yesterday.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to be such an issue in the UK as it has been for the Australians.

There has been pretty good testing for this firmware, and it doesn't look likely to present any real problems for people, as well as adding some important enhancements and bug fixes.

We can give pretty firm recommendations as to which firmware you should have.

A history would be useful, but from my perspective, it's very much on the back burner right now.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 May 2005 Posts: 251 Location: Cardiff, Wales, UK
DB1 wrote:
I see that Unbeatable is a) out of stock and b) says that all new stock will have 5.11.79 s/w - Is this the expected August update?

I was going to order my Toppy from Unbeatable, but when I called them, I was told that it is an "ordered on request" item, so it will always be out of stock. I went elsewhere as they said it could take up to 2 weeks to reach me.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Aug 2005 Posts: 388
RobTuck wrote:
DB1 wrote:

I was going to order my Toppy from Unbeatable, but when I called them, I was told that it is an "ordered on request" item, so it will always be out of stock. I went elsewhere as they said it could take up to 2 weeks to reach me.

Strange, I ordered mine from them last Wednesday and it arrived Thursday morning?

Regards,

Nick.
RobTuck
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 May 2005 Posts: 251 Location: Cardiff, Wales, UK
Its possible its changed then since I bought mine due to toppy's taking up more of a demand.

I just couldnt wait 2 weeks! Very Happy