Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  TAP to prevent power-off?

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Back on topic, I've found a mechanism to signal the different type of shutdown, so now it's just a matter of squeezing in the check.
simonc
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
Aha, you've found a place that could be hooked to set startup channel and volume. Deadbeef would be interested in this - his current TAP doesn't work with the Display TAP running.
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
simonc wrote:
Aha, you've found a place that could be hooked to set startup channel and volume.
For just timed shutdowns?

The code around here is very interesting, since it's one of the major changes in the 5.14.X firmwares (which appear to be quite similar to the TF5000 Masterpiece firmwares in this area). I've squeezed the new code in but no had chance to test it yet, but I know it won't apply to those firmwares.
simonc
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, for powerdown, I originally wanted use Firebird's hook routine to change channel and volume on shutdown. However, it only hooks the power button, not timer shutdown or sleep. I gave up on the sleep case and bodged timer shutdown by sending a null keypress on startup to fool the firmware into thinking a user is present and doing kicking off shutdown manually.
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
simonc wrote:
However, it only hooks the power button, not timer shutdown or sleep.
I have an idea for an even easier and much safer way to hook the shutdown (all sorts)... I'll see if I can get time to knock up a quick TAP.

But, for now, here's the new version of the patch: [Po] PowerOff_03. This will spot timer shutdowns and do the right thing (not prompt!).
andyrogers
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2005 Posts: 814
Hi R2-D2

I have given this a try and it seems to work well, the only issue i have found is that if you have got mystuff poweroff handling enabled mystuff shuts down then your patch displays the Ok/Cancel box.

if i select cancel i get taken back to my toppy fine, but if I try and shutdown again nothing happens, not even the shutdown dialog box appears from your patch.

Andy

Firmware: 5.14.09 Patched
AutoStart Taps: MyStuff v5.52b, eit2mei beta 7.8m7, , Power Manager v1.2, Tap Commander v1.32, TF5000 Display v1.53a, Discription Extender v2.3, SDS 1.3b, QuickJump 1.72
Other Taps: Sudoka, mei2archive, mei2eit, snake, meisearch
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
andyrogers wrote:
if i select cancel i get taken back to my toppy fine, but if I try and shutdown again nothing happens, not even the shutdown dialog box appears from your patch.
That's the shutdown hook's fault, although that is prior work so I suppose it's more the patch's fault, really. Smile As the shutdown hook is the most likely cause of "stuck on OFF" problems, I'd say you shouldn't be using that anyway -- I'm not. The fix to make the hook ignorable by the patch would be extremely easy, but I'm not really sure why you'd want both together.
andyrogers
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2005 Posts: 814
I know what you mean, i was just an observation really that i have noted for yours/anyone else attention if they came across the same issue.

I was only really crash testing the patch to see how it performed. I don't think i will be using it in every day-to-day use though.

Andy

Firmware: 5.14.09 Patched
AutoStart Taps: MyStuff v5.52b, eit2mei beta 7.8m7, , Power Manager v1.2, Tap Commander v1.32, TF5000 Display v1.53a, Discription Extender v2.3, SDS 1.3b, QuickJump 1.72
Other Taps: Sudoka, mei2archive, mei2eit, snake, meisearch
simonc
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Another reason I'm no longer a fan of the shutdown hook is demonstrated by holding down the power button. On a vanilla Toppy, you just see the "shutdown?" query. With the hook applied, the picture grinds to a halt. An extreme case perhaps, but there's definitely evidence of stuttering during a normal stab at the button.
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
(A little off-topic, but I tried out the idea of putting in a custom handler for the shutdown events, but it gets a bit flakey if you stab at the power button. I've tried some variations but it looks like a subtle timing thing -- and I think the same thing would happen with the standard Toppy prompt if you went a bit mad, too.)
neko
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:15 am Reply with quote
Hello

I'm new here so excuse me if I do something wrong, but I like to ask if you could make this patch to support TF500PVRt (13417) Firmware 3.40 Smile
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
neko wrote:
support TF500PVRt (13417) Firmware 3.40
Have a try with [Po] V4.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh, thank you!!! Works ok here. Smile
kiss_me
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Hi R2-D2,

PO sounds great for emulating a "power on" code, I'll give it a try.

Maybe you could change the link on your firmware patch page from version 3 to version 4 for those who don't read this thread.

Are you aware of any TAP suitable to shut down the Toppi after an idle period of maybe 2 hours (like standby TAP does) that will work correctly with your "power off" firmware patch ?

Thanks