Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Cannot Record and No Archive - Faulty Hardrive?

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
MikeyP
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
dennis wrote:

No. I bought it from a retailer called Heathrow Systems. I actually bought a new HDD as part of the diagnosis so I'm 113 out of pocket although I have now got a 250 GB Toppy.

They ARE the same people - Just checked out heathrowsystems.net and turbosat.com contact us details

The contact details are identical Shocked

Quote:

I'm going to put it down to experience and mark Topfield accordingly when considering a new machine and/or making recommendations. It's a classic example of bad customer satisfaction costing more than a company realises.

Couldn't agree more Crying or Very sad

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
ah5150
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 44 Location: Telford / Birmingham
i think i also have a faulty PSU. kept having HDD issues

you know the click you hear when a normal toppy is turned off (the HDD possibly)
Turning the 5800 on the HDD made that sound every second and progressively got worse

I've now taken apart a 300gb USB hard drive (WD) and i am trying that. formatting is taking ages - still formatting and 15 min has passed.

I was using the topfield fine until my version of mystuff expired. upgraded to the latest version switching from RT2mei method to the freeview method and saw a firmware upgrade was available changed to this

problems started. booted without taps - worked fine but it got worse and worse until today where i left it switched off all day and the clicking sounds kept being made when i got home from work

I need a new psu then???

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
ah5150 wrote:
I need a new psu then???

Looks like, please post in the PSU issues thread.

Also, formatting a new drive was instantaneous in my experience.

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
kevinb
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 May 2005 Posts: 180
matt wrote:
ah5150 wrote:
I need a new psu then???

Looks like, please post in the PSU issues thread.

Also, formatting a new drive was instantaneous in my experience.

matt

The reason it seems so quick: it doesn't really do a "full format", it just initialises its file system to be empty!

Kevin.
MikB
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 290 Location: West Midlands
Michael Anthony Hill wrote:
The unit is 7months out of its guarantee period and if it was a
little closer to around 1mth then they could of offered something but
looking as it as en electrical item and unfortunately some electrical
goods do go faulty I am not able to offer anything on this.

Just a thought, but the warranty is in addition to you statutory rights. Not instead of.

Many companies pull the "out of warranty = out of luck" answer out of the hat. It doesn't make it legal. These people have been educated at the Curry's school of law and customer service. Smile

Your rights can extend up to 6 years, depending on the goods, and the nature of the failure. Warranty, extended warranty, or not. It makes no difference. And your rights are primarily with the SELLER, the person you have a contract with.

The key thing is: What is a REASONABLE life expectancy for the goods. I would venture that a 250-odd pound Freeview PVR should last longer than 19 months. And, if the failure is due to a manufacturing defect/weakness (which it appears this is), then you should have some comeback.

If you asked Turbosat, or any retailer, "How long would one of these units typically last before it wears out", they wouldn't say "Oh well, 13 months is typical". Would they? Because then you wouldn't buy it! How would 2 years grab you? No? Expected to fail in 5 years?

It may be that you have to go through the motions of getting it repaired, and then claiming back the money via Small Claims proceedings. Annoying, but at least you can add the cost of the Small Claims to the cost of the repair, carriage, and other reasonable costs. At this point, it's likely that a retailer would realise you are NOT going to be fobbed off, and start becoming a little more helpful.

Talk to trading standards (your local one) and see what they say, they may be able to help you with this.

"As it is an electrical item and they do go faulty" is VERY weak.

Especially as this failure (power supply) is not a one-off case, there are many people affected by it!

Some extra information at [url] http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/guides_to/law_goods.shtml [/url]

and

[url] http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/guides_to/goods_wrong.shtml [/url]