Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Freeview, TopUp and TV  ~  Freeview and TopUp TV

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Darkmatter
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
It?s a set of extra channels for which you need to subscribe ? currently 7.99 a month. Opinions varies as to it?s worth. There is a sample channel for 1 per day (don?t waste your money)

More info on their web site http://www.topuptv.co.uk and over on DS

Last edited by Darkmatter on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
nicky napkins
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Darkmatter wrote:
It?s a set of extra channels for which you need to subscribe ? currently 7.99 a month. Opinions varies as to it?s worth. There is a sample channel for 1 per day (don?t waste your money)

More info on their web site http://www.topuptv.co.uk/, and over on DS

that link does not work? so you can get top up tv for your Topfield receiver and it works from a normal tv ariel like on-digital used to?

do they broadcast in dolby 5.1 like sky do sometimes?
Darkmatter
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Ah, the forum software tagged the comma on to the end of the hyperlink ? try the original link now: http://www.topuptv.co.uk

Yep, you could think of it as a cut down on-digital.
nicky napkins
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Darkmatter wrote:
Ah, the forum software tagged the comma on to the end of the hyperlink ? try the original link now: http://www.topuptv.co.uk

Yep, you could think of it as a cut down on-digital.

do they broadcast in dolby 5.1 like sky do sometimes?

sorry for so many questions... thanks for your help darkmatter.
Stormin
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 155 Location: Newbury
Unfortunately the best we get is stereo signals, but if the program/film was made with pro-logic, this will be passed through to give basic surround sound.
scoobydooby
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2005 Posts: 518 Location: Broadstone,Dorset (Rowridge IOW Transmitter)
Took the plunge a couple of days ago, cam & card arrived today, couldnt get it to work in the top slot, so switched off toppy & popped into the bottom slot, now working fine.

wasnt bothered about TUTV in the past, but took advantage of the 10 off for new subscibers, figured that if I dont use it much that I can always flog the cam on eBay.

Im really only interested in the Discovery channel, that was the only channel I missed when I got rid of cable a few years ago, 'sky one' would be nice, but I cant see that happening.

I assume that if I unsubscribe that I can no longer view my previously recorded programmes, is that correct?

Scoobs

nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
You can view recordings for a limited amount of time, and you can decrypt them - start playing back, and increase the speed to 6x with the FF key, then press Rec to start a copy, which should be decrypted as it's made.

Nigel.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2006 Posts: 78 Location: Taunton
i have had my topfield 5800 for almost a year now with no probs at all,i have been thinking of getting topup for eurosport as they transmit world superbikes,which bbc don't. I realise i need a card and cam,but i am told top up are no longer doing the card to new subscribers,having some anytime box or something ??Is this correct,if so is there any other way i can get eurosport,without resorting to Sky
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, on some of the satellites (Astra 1), Eurosport is transmitted in the clear with german audio, but I don't know quite what they put on there.

Nigel.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3986 Location: Buckingham
denwyn wrote:
i have been thinking of getting topup for eurosport as they transmit world superbikes,which bbc don't.
Take a *very* close look at the broadcast times for Eurosport on TUTV. You will not get Race 1 live for the European rounds and neither of the races live for the Eastern hemisphere rounds. Not worked out what you would get for the USA round.

So, you will have to mostly rely on the "re-live" showings which can easily get canned for mixed, synchronised basket-weaving from Bratislava Sad

denwyn
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2006 Posts: 78 Location: Taunton
Thanks for the help,i am sort of dissapointed now as i have looked into this and find the top up bit a big let down. I like the topfield and will proberby stick with it for now.
spurssarah
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
denwyn wrote:
Thanks for the help,i am sort of dissapointed now as i have looked into this and find the top up bit a big let down. I like the topfield and will proberby stick with it for now.

Sorry this is all a bit new to me. I was hoping to buy a Toppy TF5810 when it comes out and a top-up card to plug in to it. Am I wrong to think it is that simple to get the extra channels and that I can only get them if I buy some 'anytime' box? Surely not! Sad

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Yep; TopUp TV now only supplies their programmes on their own box, the Thomson 6300-16.

While it's a competent enough box, in my view it's not a patch on the Toppy, and I felt the programme content on Anytime was a bit low-brow.

You can use a Topfield with Setanta sports, but that's the only new service you can subscribe to from TUTV now.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Feb 2006 Posts: 109 Location: Emley Moor
denwyn wrote:
i have had my topfield 5800 for almost a year now with no probs at all,i have been thinking of getting topup for eurosport as they transmit world superbikes,which bbc don't. I realise i need a card and cam,but i am told top up are no longer doing the card to new subscribers,having some anytime box or something ??Is this correct,if so is there any other way i can get eurosport,without resorting to Sky

Don't bother you'll only get Eurosport between 0730 - 1030 am, it will cost you 9.99 per month and you will get messages saying you are not authorised to view this channel. If you know someone who has Sky you can get a voucher for a free Sky+ box & installation & they get 50 M&S Vouchers. If you get the channel mix that includes Eurosport it's 16 a month

?
glenmcfar
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Dont think denwyn will be waiting for a reply anymore. He posted that a year ago