<  TAPs  ~  HDFW v2 - load firmware from hard disk

Page 2 of 39
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next
andyrogers
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2005 Posts: 814
FireBird wrote:
andyrogers wrote:
When i use this I can get a list of patches that it says I can select to flash the ram with, but when i try to and select the option about the bottom to apply patches, this option is grayed out.

As soon as you (de-)select a patch, it is immediately applied.

Hi FireBird

I didn't realise that at the time.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Andy

Firmware: 5.14.09 Patched
AutoStart Taps: MyStuff v5.52b, eit2mei beta 7.8m7, , Power Manager v1.2, Tap Commander v1.32, TF5000 Display v1.53a, Discription Extender v2.3, SDS 1.3b, QuickJump 1.72
Other Taps: Sudoka, mei2archive, mei2eit, snake, meisearch
Livy
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 584 Location: Fife, Scotland
is there anyway to save firmwares with the selected patches before it is flashed?
also is there a way to put an option to make the reboot optional after a firmware flash? like R2-D2's version?

love the firmware patcher though.

• Connected via Buffalo Linkstation Live 2TB
FireBird
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 355 Location: Vienna/Austria
Livy wrote:
is there anyway to save firmwares with the selected patches before it is flashed?

Not now but I can add it to the ToDo list.

Quote:
also is there a way to put an option to make the reboot optional after a firmware flash? like R2-D2's version?

The REC button was meant as a turbo flash, which should update as quick as possible without asking any further questions. I can add another button to the firmware selection window (Play?) which asks if aXel should be included and a final reboot should be performed.
andyrogers
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
FireBird wrote:
Livy wrote:

Not now but I can add it to the ToDo list.

Quote:

The REC button was meant as a turbo flash, which should update as quick as possible without asking any further questions. I can add another button to the firmware selection window (Play?) which asks if aXel should be included and a final reboot should be performed.

They both sould like good options to add into a future release.

Andy

AutoStart Taps: MyStuff v5.52b, eit2mei beta 7.8m7, , Power Manager v1.2, Tap Commander v1.32, TF5000 Display v1.53a, Discription Extender v2.3, SDS 1.3b, QuickJump 1.72
bellissimo
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Good work Firebird & R2-D2.

A couple of points:

1) One addition I would like to see is a display of the current firmware version (in the header maybe?), as it is easy to lose track of it. Is it also possible to mark the current patches applied?

2) Another thing that I found strange. I downloaded the latest Timer Patch V4, but this comes up with a status of 'Not intended for this firmware'. I had selected 5.13.40, so found this rather surprising...

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
bellissimo
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Just discovered...

3) I chose 5.13.55, chose a few patches (I also have aXeL), then chose to flash it and reboot. This resulted in a 'Verifying Files & Folders'. After using the Toppy menu to check the firmware version, it was still on 5.13.40, which I started with. I too have an upgraded 400GB Samsung HDD, if this is of any relevance.

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
andyrogers
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Could it be you may have not got enough memory.

I had this once also. I reloaded without taps, and it worked fine.

Andy

FireBird
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
bellissimo wrote:
1) One addition I would like to see is a display of the current firmware version (in the header maybe?)

Added to the list.

Quote:
Is it also possible to mark the current patches applied?

Do you mean to show the installed patches of the current firmware in the header? It would HDFW take too long to start up if it has to get the information first.

Quote:
2) I downloaded the latest Timer Patch V4, but this comes up with a status of 'Not intended for this firmware'.

I don?t know. I have to play around with that one.

bellissimo wrote:
3) I chose 5.13.55, chose a few patches (I also have aXeL), then chose to flash it and reboot.

Did it start to compress the patched image (progress bar)? Free memory may be an issue.
bellissimo
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
FireBird wrote:

Do you mean to show the installed patches of the current firmware in the header? It would HDFW take too long to start up if it has to get the information first.

Yeah, I guess I am thinking of the letters representing the patches e.g. P for Power Restore in the header. More important is the main firmware version of course. It would just be handy to also see the currently installed patches as well, though by selecting the current firmware I suppose you can work it out anyway, so not a biggie.

Quote:

Did it start to compress the patched image (progress bar)? Free memory may be an issue.

I don't remember a progress bar. I will try again without TAPs running and see what happens.

alan_m
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3170 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
[quote="bellissimo"]
FireBird wrote:

Quote:

I don't remember a progress bar. I will try again without TAPs running and see what happens.

When I had 'verify files and folders' after the TAP rebooted the Toppy (4 off in a row) I had the progress bar however the progress bar was a LOT quicker to finish than on later attempts where I had no problems. At the time of the suspect operation all other TAPs were disabled.

R2-D2
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
alan_m wrote:
When I had 'verify files and folders' after the TAP rebooted the Toppy (4 off in a row) I had the progress bar however the progress bar was a LOT quicker to finish than on later attempts where I had no problems.
That just means that the blocks of the firmware image in flash are the same as what you're trying to flash, so it doesn't bother touching them.
R2-D2
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
bellissimo wrote:
Another thing that I found strange. I downloaded the latest Timer Patch V4, but this comes up with a status of 'Not intended for this firmware'. I had selected 5.13.40, so found this rather surprising...
That works fine for me. But I have that problem with DeadBeef's smaller V3 StartupAccelerator patch (the one he doesn't recommend...) which does work fine with FWPatcher. And as far as I can tell the patching code is identical between the tools! Major difference is the architecture it's running on, though (PC vs Toppy). Anyway, the proper StartupAccelerator patch works fine.

BTW, what does the HDDAccess option do in the ProfileEditor?
R2-D2
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
FireBird wrote:
I think people also need to bear in mind that the firmware in RAM is quite likely to be different to the original image from the flash -- most people running RemoteExtender, DescriptionExtender and MyStuff will have a number of extra hooks and patches added, which could cause false results on patch detection. So, it's better to check the flash image, but that's obviously much slower.
FireBird
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
BTW, what does the HDDAccess option do in the ProfileEditor?

It?s a kind of policy if a TAP is allowed to access the HDD to reload the profile settings. It has been developed to prevent a HDD from spinning up if a TAP displays its GUI and time shift has been turned off.
glenmcfar
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
This is an AMAZING TAP. My only worry is that one day you guys will have outdone yourselves and I'll log onto this site only to find that the best new TAP i can download is one that tells the time or something boring.

Glen.