Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  DescExt firmware patch (like DescriptionExtender)

Page 5 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
He-Tero
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
I'll take a look at it -- although there was a Finnish firmware recently that seems to make [De] much harder to implement. It might need to move over to the complex patch technique (which will take a while...).

Which Finnish firmware are you talking about? And how implementing is going?
I'm interested in having support for TF5100PVRc, System ID 12406, FW TF-NCPCf 3.16.
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
[De] DescExt V5 includes support for the current TF5800 5.14.X and TF5810 5.15.X firmwares. (I'm still looking to add other firmwares, but they seem to have some new complications to get over.)

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
I'm still looking to add other firmwares, but they seem to have some new complications to get over.

Is there any hope?
chunkywizard
Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9282 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Shall I put this into the MyStuff Recommended Firmware for the 5810 or does it need some testing first?

CW

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
Shall I put this into the MyStuff Recommended Firmware for the 5810 or does it need some testing first?
The change over the main TF5800 version was tiny, but it required a good deal of checking first.

In theory the patch should be able to be adjusted for any firmware which has the appropriate bits of TAP API. The problems I have on other firmwares is deciding whether there is genre support in the firmware, dealing with subtle register and code changes, and investigating the large changes that have happened in some foreign firmwares (new memory allocator and EIT data structures). I've just added a version with no genre info so I'll see how well that applies generically.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9282 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
You didn't really answer my question (or at least not in a way I understood!). Shall I put it in the Firmware?

CW

aramil
Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2006 Posts: 649 Location: Worcester, UK ; TX:Malvern Central
added and on test Smile

edit: seems ok so far

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
You didn't really answer my question
Yeah, I did: it'll be as reliable as the main TF5800 version, so probably worth adding.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Will do. Ta.

CW

R2-D2
Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Due to issues with trying to combine detection of genre support, the different flavours of that implementation, and the different versions of the TAP API functions patched by [De], I'm thinking of having two types of [De] patch: one without genres (both parts 0) and one with (possibly incorrect) genres. At the moment I think a number of firmwares are currently treated by the patch as having genre info, when they don't actually appear to have it. Confused

Should this be done as different versions of [De] that the user makes the choice over installing? Or should [De] split into [De] (genre-less) and [Dg] (with genres)? (This would obviously necessitate changes to supporting TAPs to cope, but it would at least allow them to know whether the data is expected to be valid.)

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2671
I'd say the former - but I would because that is less work for me Laughing More seriously I don't think knowing what patch is installed would be an advantage over the genre always being 0.0 (Unclassified).
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:51 am Reply with quote
OK... a new kind of patch, which is a cross between the normal (generic) patch and the complex (non-generic) patches. Smile [De] DescExt V6 (with Genre) will provide genre info for selected firmwares where I could find the info, but otherwise (and generically) it will provide 0 as the genre info.

Alternatively, [De] DescExt V6 (no Genre) is the plain version that does not attempt to add the genre info (so those bytes will be zero).

I've also updated the information in the first post and the example code for quickEPG. The DE version of quickEPG is a useful diagnostic tool, so please report subtle (non-crashing!) issues after checking what kind of data it shows, i.e. whether the description length ever exceeds 127 characters, what genre info is reported, and whether the text is clipped (in an incorrect way).

It's possible that there are some firmwares that have genre info but aren't included in my list (currently 160). If so, post me a link to your firmware and I can update it.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
I don't get it. [De] (genre support) returns 0 for genre if it can't find genre info? [De] (no Genre) just returns 0 anyway? Is this just an easier way of accommodating more firmwares, or am I missing something more obvious? I like to try and have a vague grasp of what's going on... don't always manage, though Embarassed

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
glenmcfar wrote:
I don't get it.
These V6 patches are an effort to bring [De] to a much wider range of firmwares. And in two posts above that one I explained that it's quite complicated trying to find the firmware's genre support (a very large number don't have it), and there's a possibility it's not picked up properly even if it is found. So rather than just having a broken patch for those firmwares, there's the "no genre" alternative which is basically a fall-back if you get issues on your particular firmware. I could have separated them entirely, but it made more sense to me to have one that tries to do it all, and one that is just safe.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
R2-D2 wrote:
in two posts above that one I explained...

Yeah, but I don't think anyone has EVER understood your posts without having to ask again Confused Maybe I should go back to standing on my head Wink

Glen.