Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Firmware Patches

Page 1 of 23
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
Information about firmware patches can now be found at the Patches Page.

A prerequisite is something to apply the patches (.tfp files) to the firmware (.tfd file): either FireBird's HDFW v2 TAP for the Toppy (Guide and Thread) or FWPatcher (for the PC). All the main patches (and aXeL and some patching TAPs) are available in one handy PatchPackV2. So all you need now is the latest HDFW v2 (or FWPatcher) and the Patch Pack.

Quick Links
Summary Table of the main patches, and categories:There are also some less mature, experimental or silly patches in the Development Work section.

Last edited by R2-D2 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:40 pm; edited 28 times in total
mossman
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2006 Posts: 582 Location: South of Birmingham, TX: Sutton Coldfield
Thanks - that's a good summary of what is available. Can someone make this a sticky?
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote
Thanks for making it sticky! I've added the EPG patches to the list.
rwg
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:22 am Reply with quote
TAP author Joined: 29 Oct 2005 Posts: 601 Location: Oxfordshire
Thanks, this is a great summary of the patches available (just the sort of thing I was thinking of when I posted in the Site News/Feedback area).

Any chance you can add links to the appropriate threads for each patch when you have a moment so that people can follow up the discussions on each patch?

cheers,

Robin

[edit] PS. off to patch me some firmware Smile

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1262
Is it worth mentioning that the 3 essential patches are available already applied to the currently recommended firmware from the members only download section of this site?
Nimbus
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Jan 2006 Posts: 578 Location: Leicestershire. 7 miles from the Waltham transmitter...
Many people put their firmware and patches applied in their sig. Is it worth adding in your post the patch letter used to denote the applied patches in people sig? It may make it easier for other to see what patches others are using together.

TAPs in load order : Font Manager 1 | TF5000 Display v1.26 | Remote Extender 1.6 | Description Extender 2.23 | Info Viewer 1.7 | Media Manager 1.5 | mei2archive BETA 3.5 | QuickJump 1.64 | Goldfish 0.5 | Power Manager 2.0 | UK Auto Scheduler 0.73 | EPGnavigator 6.1 | WSSKiller 2.12d
EMJB
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3476 Location: Maldon Essex
Have just downloaded all the patches & patcher using above links to patch 5.13.59, but I get reports that neither version of the timer patch is compatible with this firmware. Am I missing something?

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
rwg wrote:
Any chance you can add links to the appropriate threads for each patch when you have a moment so that people can follow up the discussions on each patch?

That was on my list, but it was a big job and I ran out of time last night.

I'm not sure about the letters thing -- mainly because it would mean having to decide on some letters for some of the newer ones!

The good news is that FireBird has a crack team beta testing HDFW v2, and this can do the patching on your Toppy, too! So there's some hope that you will be able to identify what your current (stored) firmware is patched with.
matt
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
R2-D2 wrote:
Thanks for making it sticky!

No worries - it took some figuring out!

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
Have just downloaded all the patches & patcher using above links to patch 5.13.59, but I get reports that neither version of the timer patch is compatible with this firmware. Am I missing something?

Corrupt .tfd? Or already patched?
simonc
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5618 Location: Cheltenham
R2-D2 wrote:
The good news is that FireBird has a crack team beta testing HDFW v2, and this can do the patching on your Toppy, too!
That explains the recent flurry of activity on ARJ code in FireBirdLib.
Nimbus
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Jan 2006 Posts: 578 Location: Leicestershire. 7 miles from the Waltham transmitter...
R2-D2 wrote:

I'm not sure about the letters thing -- mainly because it would mean having to decide on some letters for some of the newer ones!

Not a real problem though? Can not the Patch creators chose a suitable (unused) letter? I thought it would help new users understand what patches are currently being used by different people (and which ones may or may not work with their firmware).

No big issue, just thought it would help. Excellent job on putting the list together. Smile

TAPs in load order : Font Manager 1 | TF5000 Display v1.26 | Remote Extender 1.6 | Description Extender 2.23 | Info Viewer 1.7 | Media Manager 1.5 | mei2archive BETA 3.5 | QuickJump 1.64 | Goldfish 0.5 | Power Manager 2.0 | UK Auto Scheduler 0.73 | EPGnavigator 6.1 | WSSKiller 2.12d
gomezz
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3891 Location: Buckingham
More helpful maybe, a tool that runs on the PC that can analyse any copy of the firmware and detects which version it is and which patches have been applied to it. If it could also detect any unrecognised patches (checksum with suitable adjustments per known patch?), even better.

simonc
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5618 Location: Cheltenham
That's kind of what the firmware patcher does. Load a patched firmware into it and it'll detect which of the patches you've got on your PC have been applied. What it won't do is tell you which mystery patches have been applied.

Perhaps there's some means of inserting an additional chunk of data, or perhaps a redundant block of memory that'd be written to flash and could be read by a TAP.
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
simonc wrote:
That explains the recent flurry of activity on ARJ code in FireBirdLib.

Don't remind me! (I'm surprised by the subtle bugs in the original AR002 code that's used verbatim almost everywhere -- bugs that only running it on a Toppy could uncover... Smile)