Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  TF5800 and TF5810 both died in two weeks, is this due to OTA

Page 1 of 1
OneEyedIan
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I had a TF5800 (for about 4 years) upgraded to 5.14.09+ as soon as it becameavailable here (no TAPS) and then two weeks ago it started behaving strangely - it would freeze and be completely unresponsive. Switching off for many hours sometimes rectified the issue, sometimes it did not. Then all of my recordings disappeared, though the disk space was still allocated. I binned my trusty Toppy reasoning that it was old and thought I'd get a new one - which arrived on Fri (4 days ago). The new TF5810 worked fine, and I thought I was set for many more years of trusty Toppy times. Unfortunately, my 5810 has got the same symptoms that my 5800 had, and is now freezing and will not respond at all. I saw a comment about making sure that 'Interactive services' and 'OTA' updates should be switched off - and I have looked at the active downloads (http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl) and I see that at 10:00am today a broadcast was started for Humax, and that is about the time my Toppy 'broke'. Is this just a coincidence? I have now downloaded all firmware patches for 5.15.09+ which I will apply to my replacement 5810 which arrives on Fri (my 'broken' one is going back under warranty) and I will disable all OTA and Interactive stuff. But how else can I be sure that my new Toppy will not get the same 'virus'?
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
If you've got a TF5810 (or if you must use 5.14.X on the TF5800) then I think [Ev] is pretty much essential.

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Your TF5800 issue sounds like a PSU problem, search the forum for more info (& fix). Not sure about your TF5810 issue

Where do you store your Toppy? Is it well ventilated?

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
OneEyedIan
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
It is well ventilated, in a standard shelving cabinet with neither sides nor back. I do have some small satellite-type speakers on the top of the unit, but they are not blocking the vents.

Strange that I should see this failure on two units.

I am not a TAPS user, but want to have the Freeview+ functionality, which is why I use the firmware that I do. Any suggestions for a better way of working appreciated.
glenmcfar
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Exactly the same symptoms? As in lost recordings but space still allocated? If not, then its just the crappy Freeview+ firmware. Add some more patches.

Glen.

juwlz
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10338 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
You don't have a choice about the Freeview+ firmware on a 5810 anyway, but you really need to put PATCHED firmware on it. The patches fix the bugs!

Also, be brave and install the MyInfo TAP. It will tell you (and us) exactly what patches you have installed so people can give more informed advice. (It produces a log file that includes a pre-formatted suggested signature to use in these forums - well worth using!) If you put it in Auto Start it will silently run and then exit on startup, just producing a log file. If you run it manually, it will also show useful information on the screen.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
OneEyedIan
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote
I have now downloaded the set of all Performance, Bug Fix and Essential patches (and some Others), and patched those (that were compatible) into the 5.15.09+ firmware (downloaded from topfield.co.uk), ready to transfer onto the new unit which arrives on Friday 30th. The first thing I shall do with the new unit is turn off Interactive Services and OTA updates, then add the firmware, then start using it.

The '5 days old' unit will not let me do anything with it - it freezes immediately on startup and won't let me access the hard disk at all. When it starts and freezes it simply displays the current channel with sound. I tried pressing '0' on my remote at startup (though I have not loaded any TAPS myself) and the unit started (and froze) but there was no sound. I can't even connect and re-flash with patched firmware now.

I want my old 5800 back (and rewind 4 years)!
OneEyedIan
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quote
Can someone also tell me - if I wanted to use MyStuff instead, on my new 5810, what order (and what versions) of firmwares/patches/MyStuff should I use? I am finding difficult to understand what to install, and in which order? If you had a brand new 5810 took out the box, what is the best sequence of steps to get the most reliable behaviour/best experience?
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
The easiest thing to do is use the MyStuff Installer to also install the latest MyStuff Recommended TF5810 firmware.

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10338 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
If you want to use MyStuff, and yiou have a Windows PC, then the easiest way is to use the MyStuff installer to install MyStuff and its support TAPs and the Recommended firmware all in one go (choose option 1 in the installer - I think!). If you don't have a Windows PC, then download the Full package.

Then add any additional patches using HDFW (or whatever method you prefer) and whatever additional TAPs you want. (I'd recommend MyInfo too so it's easy to report what's on your system.)

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
EMJB
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3463 Location: Maldon Essex
juwlz wrote:
... Then add any additional patches using HDFW (or whatever method you prefer) and whatever additional TAPs you want. Julie

If you put the extra patches into "/ProgramFiles/InstallerFirmware", each time you run Installer to upgrade to the latest recommended firmware these extra patches will be applied automatically. That way you can let CW do all the hard work of keeping up with the bug fixes, and you can have your personalising patches applied with no further effort on your part.

EMJB