Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  MHEG Control B2.1

Page 1 of 17
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
EMJB
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3474 Location: Maldon Essex
At long last I feel that my replacement for MforR & MForRT is ready to be let loose for others to test. The complexities of the text system such as BBC News Multiscreen have proved to be much more difficult to handle than I initially expected.

This TAP includes the following major selectable features:

Automatic switching of MHEG on when required & off when not required (either for "OneList" operation or viewing text).

A ?shortcut? facility to enable user-defined shortcuts to interactive pages of interest ? e.g. weather or news for your particular region.

A facility to toggle subtitles on & off with a user-definable key.

On-screen identification of radio channels + reminder when text facilities are available.

On-screen labelling of radio channels ("Onelist" & "Pukka").

Automatic reselection of subtitles when returning to TV from radio channels if they were in use last time TV channels were watched.

It also has the major advantage (for me at least) that it should not need updating for each new firmware version. I have included the subtitle toggle facility key within this TAP to ensure that the last option can be made to work reliably, though I have still not found why it did not work in MforR.

It is also "skinnable", using MyStuff etc compatible files.

More details @ http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/MHEGControl/MHEGControl.htm and download from http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/MHEGControl/MHEGControl.zip

Incidentally this exercise has drawn my attention to the fact that the BBC provide a simple text facility for radio channels with details of current programme including, for example, name of song currently being played.

Happy testing,

EMJB

Last edited by EMJB on Thu May 20, 2010 7:24 am; edited 4 times in total
chunkywizard
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9306 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi EMJB,

the link on your website (under installation) is wrong, you have it as:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/MhegContro/MhegControl.zip

whereas it should be 'MHEGControl' as a directory...

CW

glenmcfar
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
CW - I already downloaded this a while ago no bother.

glen.

chunkywizard
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9306 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Glen,

the link in the thread is correct, it is the one on the website that is wrong....

CW

glenmcfar
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Sorry, dude

EMJB
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
Hi EMJB,

the link on your website (under installation) is wrong, you have it as:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/MhegContro/MhegControl.zip

whereas it should be 'MHEGControl' as a directory...

CW

Many thanks for pointing that out. Should be OK now.

EMJB
daveliney
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Jan 2007 Posts: 119
As a fan of MforR I thought I'd give this a go, and it certainly seems to work well, though I did have an issue:

The subtitle toggle key didn't work for me. The Toppy menu page popped up and then went away but nothing else happened. I used TV/Radio as the activation key.

Also having MyStuff running meant the initial menu screen was unnavigable. Not a problem though as when accessed through TapCommander it was fine.
danb77
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Nov 2005 Posts: 763
Hi EMBJ,

That sounds like a great TAP!

In all your digging, did you get any closer to finding a way to remove the waiting for MHEG display you get on Onelist radio channels?

Cheers,

Dan

TAPs: SDS V1.3d; Extend v1.7; TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.69; MyStuff 6.0; Tap Launcher 3.10; Font Manager 1.0d; TAP Commander 1.34; WSSkiller V2.12d; Power Manager v1.2; UK Subtitle 1.8; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub v0.6; MyInfo B4.0; EPG2MEI v0.93e;
Sig generated by MyInfo TAP on 21/9/09
EMJB
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:16 am Reply with quote
danb77 wrote:
In all your digging, did you get any closer to finding a way to remove the waiting for MHEG display you get on Onelist radio channels?

'Fraid not, though I can't say I spent any time specifically chasing that issue. I think it would need a firmware bodge rather than the sort of TAP that is within my capabilities.

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:30 am Reply with quote
daveliney wrote:
The subtitle toggle key didn't work for me. The Toppy menu page popped up and then went away but nothing else happened. I used TV/Radio as the activation key.

Never tried using that key, but it is one of the strange ones for the TF5800 in that it looks the same as List to TAPs. Which Toppy menu came up - the list of channels? Have you deleted all your radio channels - if so I think the default Mystuff operation is to use this key for something (can't remember what) so it will not be available for use in MHEG Control unless you change the MyStuff option. I never use the picture-in-picture facility, so have tended to use Pip for all three keys.

daveliney wrote:
Also having MyStuff running meant the initial menu screen was unnavigable. Not a problem though as when accessed through TapCommander it was fine.

My recent testing has been with this TAP as the first in the load order, which might explain why I have not seen this problem.

I will try to get a look to see if I can reproduce & hpefully cure these problems over the next few days. Thanks for pointing them out.

EMJB
CeeGee
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Apr 2005 Posts: 388 Location: Weybridge, Surrey
I've just been giving this a try out and it appears to do what it says on the tin. This is definitely the best workaround for the infamous Toppy MHEG memory leak. I haven't tried out the sub-titles options, but everything else works perfectly.

I really like the Teletext page short-cuts (once I find and decide which pages I want to apply them to; after all, who on earth gives a damn about the weather in East Anglia?).
I renamed my favourite MyStuff skin and that works fine, although looking at the instructions it did give the impression that the figures should be preceded by the colour initial, which wasn't necessary.

As long as you don't leave your Toppy on a Ceefax page, untouched, for a few hours,(perhaps strangely intrigued by the weather in East Anglia), there should be no more problems with memory leaks and freezing Toppies.

So, to anybody reading this: If you are nut running this TAP - why not? This will make your Toppy feel a lot fitter and happier. Get it now!!

Colin

Model: 2 x TF5800PVR. Board: 1.2. Firmware:5.13.65 Transmitter: Crystal Palace. TAPS: My Stuff (with rt2mei), OneList, MHEG Control, Remote Extender, Description Extender, MP3Jukebox. Remote: Harmony 525

All I want to do is watch some television!
tichtich
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1378 Location: Bristol, UK
Hi EMJB. Thanks for the new TAP. I've just upgraded from MforRTA4, and ran into a few problems...

1. I had some trouble at first, because of what seems to me to be some misleading instructions (or maybe I'm just stupid!). I kept exiting from the main menu by going to the final menu item and pressing OK, and then I couldn't understand why the TAP didn't create a MHEGControl_mode.ini file. Eventually I realised that I had to press OK when NOT on the final menu item.

The instructions file has this paragraph:
Quote:
The final menu entry allows the TAP to be closed down, and pressing Ok closes the menu, reloads the text ini and skin files (in case you should want to change the file and use the new values without shutting down this TAP).

I think it should be more like this:
Quote:
Pressing OK when the final menu entry is highlighted shuts down the TAP. Pressing OK when any other entry is highlighted closes the menu, saves the settings in the ?MHEGControl_mode.ini? file and reloads the text ini and skin files (in case you should want to change the file and use the new values without shutting down this TAP).

2. I'm having a lot of problems with toggling subtitles. On live TV, starting subtitles sometimes doesn't work, and stopping subtitles never seems to work. On playback of recordings, stopping subtitles also stops the playback! Also, I notice that when starting subtitles, the Toppy main menu is briefly shown, something that the UK Subtitle TAP manages to avoid. Unless it's easy to do, I wonder if it's worth your while duplicating a function which another TAP already provides very well.

3. I use Improbox's feature which suppresses all the icons the Toppy displays in the top right corner of the screen. With your TAP I find that using text mode interferes with this and I start to see some icons again. At one point I somehow ended up with these icons in the top LEFT corner of the screen!

4. The TAP crashed when I used a copy of my Media Manager skin file with it. MM uses a MyStuff style skin file, but has some extra elements of its own. I can send you a copy of the file if you're interested. When I created a new skin file using just the elements listed in your instruction file, there was no problem.

FYI my MHEG Control options are Off, On, Pip, On, On, Pip, 100, Off, N/A.

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
EMJB
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote
@daveliney

I have tried to reproduce both your problems.

There do seem to be problems with using the TV/Radio key, but I did not manage to reproduce yours so I will amend the instructions to avoid this. I deliberately bring up & immediately close the channel list screen to provoke subtitles into starting, and I suppose it is just possible that for some reason the Toppy lost the latter command.

I have tried loading my TAP after MyStuff with & without an "ini" file, and was able to navigate round the menu with no problems. Do you use the left/right/up/down keys for anything special in MyStuff?

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
tichtich wrote:

1. I had some trouble at first, because of what seems to me to be some misleading instructions (or maybe I'm just stupid!). I kept exiting from the main menu by going to the final menu item and pressing OK, and then I couldn't understand why the TAP didn't create a MHEGControl_mode.ini file. Eventually I realised that I had to press OK when NOT on the final menu item.

The instructions file has this paragraph:
Quote:
The final menu entry allows the TAP to be closed down, and pressing Ok closes the menu, reloads the text ini and skin files (in case you should want to change the file and use the new values without shutting down this TAP).

I think it should be more like this:
Quote:
Pressing OK when the final menu entry is highlighted shuts down the TAP. Pressing OK when any other entry is highlighted closes the menu, saves the settings in the ?MHEGControl_mode.ini? file and reloads the text ini and skin files (in case you should want to change the file and use the new values without shutting down this TAP).

Agree - will change along the lines you suggest.

tichtich wrote:
2. I'm having a lot of problems with toggling subtitles. On live TV, starting subtitles sometimes doesn't work, and stopping subtitles never seems to work. On playback of recordings, stopping subtitles also stops the playback! Also, I notice that when starting subtitles, the Toppy main menu is briefly shown, something that the UK Subtitle TAP manages to avoid. Unless it's easy to do, I wonder if it's worth your while duplicating a function which another TAP already provides very well.

As indicated in my first post, I have included this as a way of ensuring that I know whether to turn subtitles back on when exiting from text. I have never found out why the logic which saves the subtitle state while watching Tv gets knotted, but I have tried to improve it and it may work better, so you can continue to use Simon's TAP. If the automatic logic works for you (or you don't use radio/text) fine - otherwise you will have to inhibit the automatic logic & turn subtitles back after every use of text/OneList radio. With regards to stopping replay, it had never occurred to me to check for this - will need to look at. I use R2-D2's routines for controlling subtitles - he never has probelsm with them starting, I never have problems with them stopping! Obviously an area for considerable further investigation!

tichtich wrote:
3. I use Improbox's feature which suppresses all the icons the Toppy displays in the top right corner of the screen. With your TAP I find that using text mode interferes with this and I start to see some icons again. At one point I somehow ended up with these icons in the top LEFT corner of the screen!

Again something I never thought of testing. I have Improbox but don't use that facility, so will have a look at this.

tichtich wrote:
4. The TAP crashed when I used a copy of my Media Manager skin file with it. MM uses a MyStuff style skin file, but has some extra elements of its own. I can send you a copy of the file if you're interested. When I created a new skin file using just the elements listed in your instruction file, there was no problem.

My file has some elements that look like MM additions (I use MM), so perhaps there is something else so I would be grateful for a copy of your file. I will PM my email address.

Apologies for all your problems,

EMJB
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
Bug report.

Menu Call Up Key = Non Allocated, doesn't work. It actually sets Exit to be the key! (as you have to press Exit to get non-allocated to display)

HTH

CW