Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Toppy sometimes ignores key presses

Page 10 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Shannock9
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Aug 2005 Posts: 1060 Location: London, UK
cyberpieman wrote:
Just to add to the evidence on this, the dropping of remote signals is never really an issue until while flipping through channels I hit Sky3, which would hang the entire kit for up to 15 seconds....

Keeping with the remote responsiveness difference on Sky3 for the moment, is it the same difference whether the timeslip buffer is on or off?

Secondly, what response do you get tuned to five US (35)? That seems to use the same very long GOP strategy as Sky3.

[For absolute experimental perfection, the second tuner should be on a 'safe' channel such as BBC2 for all these tests.]

Awaiting with interest....Duncan
simonc
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5618 Location: Cheltenham
And of course interactive should also be turned off. Who knows what evil demands Sky Text places on the CPU.
ryclark
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1576 Location: Shropshire
Until today I have never had any problems with missed key presses. I rarely watch Sky 3. Set up has been as in my sig.

I have just updated firmware to .39 patched with P & H. Also updated Quickjump, EPGNav, UKAS and DE to latest versions. Now I have missed key presses 50% of the time. Second keypress seems to then be OK if the first is missed.

I need to do some further research to see if I can find which element of the above is causing the problem. Confused

cyberpieman
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Awaiting with interest....

Ghuhgghh...don't want much do ya! Shocked

As there's a break in the rugby this weekend and I've now established that half the critical apps on my computer will be broken if I install Vista, I'll have a spare 30 minutes to devote to reverse-engineering that little grey box in the corner (and if I loose all the Trial & Retribution episodes I've not yet watched I'm coming round to your house with an axe) Wink
benedictruk
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm a new user and I'm completely confused by the jargon, and maybe what has happened to me is contained within, but I can't locate it...
Anyhow. I've been using my 5800 for a couple of months without any problems and I haven't done any updates or anything other than record and watch programmes. But today the remote does nothing (not even switch on) except display the volume setting at its highest setting no matter what I press.
What's the matter with it, and how can I fix it?
I tried switching everything off for five minutes but there's no change.
Help would be very, very welcome!
mike.hinson
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
With the remote, things left to check that I can think of are:
key stuck down
faulty battery or battery not fitted right
battery not making contact
another remote stuck on & interfering with the Toppy one
faulty remote

good luck
/\/\

(edit:) reading your post again, sounds like the Vol+ may be stuck down ??

benedictruk
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for you help Mike, but the problem has cleared itself up!
Having done another hard reset it still didn't work, so I swore at it, asked it why it wouldn't work, switched everything off again and went for a long walk to calm down.
I came home and switched it back on - hey presto! It works again!
God bless swearing at inanimate objects. Is there anything it cannot fix?
cyberpieman
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
It's a trick beknown to computer programmers of yore Cool

If M$ ever get voice recognition to properly work, there'll be a lucrative sideline in therapy for white-goods.
Blanik
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Anybody know whether Topfiled have a plan to fix this serious bug in the future (or whether there is a fix that I have missed)?

If they have fixed it in the 5810, then I'd expect them to know what the problem is. If they don't know what the cause of the problem is, then there a good chance that they will have also built it into the 5810.

I love my Toppy, but there will be a lot more competition to it as the Playback standard takes off. Responding to the remote control is a pretty basic requirement. Topfiled won't be doing themselves any favours by leaving such serious bugs unresolved for so long.

Happy New Year!
chrissietop
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Hi All
I have been experiencing the same problem of remote commands being unacted upon, or delayed & "bunching up". I have just applied the Freeview + upgrade to my 5800, and I didn't notice the problem before.

Methinks BUG. Plse see my other posting for random failure to initiate recording

Chris

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1450 Location: Norwich
Did you perform a factory reset and rescan after the FW change?

chrissietop
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

Yes, performed factory reset before upgrade as recommended, and others since along with re-scans although looking deeper into toppy.org, looks as if toppy.org don't like the freeview+ series link software. Since I have other "won't record" issues since this upgrade I'm thinking about reverting & using TAPS to emulate the facilities I require. I really haven't had the remote control ignored issue prior to upgrading so I assume it is s/w linked. It is an odd fault though, I haven't been able to reproduce it at will and can deduce no pattern as to when it happens (not much help really am I). I was just hoping to add my voice to this issue in an effort to get Topfield to look at it.
Thanks for your reply, regards Chris

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1450 Location: Norwich
Using the FW installer to load 5.13.65T is certainly recommended. Followed by another reset and rescan.

if you want the best of both worlds, MS6.1, which has its own installer for PCs together with the new firmware and a few other bits, is the way to go.

glenmcfar
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
If you turn off Interactive Services things should speed up a bit but Freeview+ firmware still = FAIL.

AndyFarrer
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
tichtich wrote:
This topic started to be discussed in another thread, but as (a) it was off the original topic of that thread, and (b) I thought it deserved a thread of its own, I'm starting a new thread for it here. I'll start by reposting the relevant contributions...

xandertarr wrote:
Although what I have experienced doesn't sound as major as what you're suggesting, I do find that while performing some keypresses are ignored. For example changing channels and browsing through the EPG almost every other keypress is not recorded - although the LED still lights (as you mentioned).

I'm pressuming the LED is connected directly to the infrared detector circuit, so by it illuminating does not imply that the unit has acted upon the signl, but that the IR circuit has detected the keypress.

malc wrote:
You don't say what if any TAPs are running at the time. If there are is the same effect seen without the taps running?

xandertarr wrote:
Yes, even without any taps active the same is true.

When I do use TAPs, I have running Bookmark2UK and JAG's.

tichtich wrote:
xandertarr wrote:
... I do find that while performing some keypresses are ignored. For example changing channels and browsing through the EPG almost every other keypress is not recorded - although the LED still lights (as you mentioned).

I'm not sure what you mean by "while performing" (do you sing along with the Toppy? Wink), but I've found generally that key presses are often ignored. Because this was so frequent, even in situations where the Toppy wasn't doing much (so it didn't seem to be processor overload), and because no-one else mentioned the same problem when I posted about it, I assumed it was a fault in the remote control, and have sent that back to the Satellite Centre for a replacement.

xandertarr wrote:
I'm pressuming the LED is connected directly to the infrared detector circuit, so by it illuminating does not imply that the unit has acted upon the signl, but that the IR circuit has detected the keypress.

Doh! I didn't think to check whether the "Remote" LED was lighting. If it is, like yours, then I may have returned the remote for nothing.

If this turns out to be a problem with the Toppy that cannot be fixed, then my Toppy is going back.

P.S. I've never noticed that this problem is associated with any particular types of activity. It seems key presses can be ignored any time at all.

xandertarr wrote:
No, unfortunately I don't sing to my toppy - it probably would completely fail if I tried as a result of my awful singing Laughing

I have to agree that it is probably any remote actions, just I personally find it more noticable while looking through the EPG.

It would be good to know how widespread this problem is. So please post here if you're experiencing it too, or have any idea what the cause might be.

Hi, I am an inexperienced user, do not understand TAPs or use them and just used my Tobby for the norm.
It has suddenly refused to react to the remote (only shows Sky3 when booted up) and no commands will work. The green light lashes on the Toppy when I use the remote but nothing happens. I have taken it in for repair but the guy has told me that he thinks it is a software problem. Any ideas?

Cheers