Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  rec2mp3 & rec2iPod (Windows)

Page 1 of 1
SonicLife
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1262
(This is an extension of what was started in Converting rec to mp2 or mp3).

These scripts grab all the rec files in a specified directory on the toppy using FTP (you obviously need a FTP connection to your toppy for this to work) and then converts them to mp3. It then moves the MP3s to either 'My Music' or into iTunes depending on the version chosen. It then moves the rec files to a /Old folder on the toppy so if the script is re-run the same files do not get processed again.

The code is available here. Consider this currently beta Wink

Instructions.

1) Unzip to C:\Program Files\rec2mp3.

2) Create a shortcut to either rec2iPod.bat or rec2mp3.bat depending on preference. You can do this by right clicking the .bat file and chosing 'Send To' > 'Desktop (Create Shourtcut)'.

3) Edit your chosen .bat file to specify the IP address of your toppy.

4) Ensure you have LAME.EXE and MPLAYER.EXE in C:\Program Files\rec2mp3. Get LAME from here and MPLAYER from here.

5) You will also need addToPlaylist.js if you want to use rec2iPod. Get this from here.

6) Create a top level folder on your toppy called Radio, and create a folder underneath this called Old.

When you want to use it place the rec files in the Radio folder on the toppy and launch your shortcut.

Any questions ask. This has only been tested on XP, but should work on Windows 2000 as well, probably not older. No idea about vista.

Notes:
I have chosen a high quality variable bitrate for the MP3 encode, if you want to make the MP3 smaller at the risk of sound quality change the line that starts lame -V 0 --vbr-new to what you want. See LAME WIKI for details.

This works perfectly well with normal TV programs as well as radio programs, it simple does the audio only and ignores the video. The sound quality is usually higher on TV channels as well Mad

The date routine needs to change slightly for W2K, see readme.txt in the zip for details.

Last edited by SonicLife on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
moogaloo
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK
SonicLife wrote:
moogaloo wrote:
All we need now is some command line tagging and something to auto add to itunes!

My script does do tagging, do you want something more than I did, if so what?

Auto adding to iTunes should be easy, you can use a bat file to move the mp3 to the relevant directory and there are apps out there that poke it to recognise the change. But I am not an itunes user so have not investigated further.

Replying here because this is the more relevant thread.

Then I manually add radio recordings to itunes I normally add them as
Song = File Name
Title = Radio YYYYMMDD
Artist = Radio YYYYMMDD
Genre = Radio

Where YYYYMMDD is the date it was added to itunes.

If something like this is easily possilbe then that would go great, Otherwise don't worry your work has allready made my life easier

mike.hinson
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
Hi, would it be worth trying to create a guide on the Wiki for converting .rec to portable formats?

I have created a starting page that you can edit if you think it will help organise the information, it seems hard to access information if it is spread over lots of different postings with other comments etc in between.

enjoy
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Topfield_5800/Wiki_Guides_Format_Conversion

/\/\

SonicLife
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
moogaloo wrote:
Then I manually add radio recordings to itunes I normally add them as
Song = File Name
Title = Radio YYYYMMDD
Artist = Radio YYYYMMDD
Genre = Radio

Where YYYYMMDD is the date it was added to itunes.

If something like this is easily possible then that would go great, Otherwise don't worry your work has already made my life easier

I can send you some code to do what you want with dates to insert into the existing code, how comfortable are you with command line code?

I will add the Genre tag, forgot this till I saw it above.

One enhancement I thought of was to extract the channel name from the rec header and use that for the artist / album tag, but I have no clue how to do this currently.
SonicLife
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
mike.hinson wrote:
it seems hard to access information if it is spread over lots of different postings with other comments etc in between.

Agreed the documentation on this does need tidying up, not sure when I will get around to it though.
mike.hinson
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
SonicLife wrote:
mike.hinson wrote:
it seems hard to access information if it is spread over lots of different postings with other comments etc in between.

Agreed the documentation on this does need tidying up, not sure when I will get around to it though.
That is the good thing about a Wiki, if you just put the raw information in there other keen people can format it for you & correct Typos.

/\/\

ubuntu
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Dec 2005 Posts: 349 Location: High Wycombe Tx: Crystal Palace
SonicLife wrote:
These scripts grab all the rec files in a specified directory on the toppy using FTP and then converts them to mp3.
Thanks very much for this - works a treat on my XP machine.

john

SonicLife
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I have improved my 1st post in this thread to make it easer to understand. I have also updated the code with tags for Year and Genre, I have had to use Other for the genre as LAME does not allow Radio it seems.
Code is in the same place, only the .cmd files changed, if you have edited the .bat file there is no need to overwrite them.

@moogaloo If you want Title = Radio YYYYMMDD simply change the script to use "Radio %YYYYMMDD%" instead of "Radio", I have added the code to the new verison ready for this.

@ubuntu Thanks.

@Mike I won't be offended if someone else wrote proper instructions Wink