Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  rec files on the move

Page 1 of 1
phil.s
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Apr 2005 Posts: 46
I've been looking at getting a portable DVD player to play back rec files from the toppy. The latest ones claim dvd/vcd/svcd/divx/mp4 playback.

Straight rec to DVD seems a bit of a pain to me. What easy options are there ?

The simplest I can see is using mpegstreamclip to output mp4 but it seems oh so slow on my 2.4GHz PC.

Can you go to (S)VCD in one easy step ?

Do these funky DVD players and media players actually work reliably ?

Please share your experiences.

Phil.
moogaloo
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK
Use mpeg streamclip to goto MP2 instead. THis will be as quicj as anything as that is what the rec file allready is. You may be able to simply burn this file onto DVD and the DVD player will just play it. Or you may need to use something like Nero Vision to add it and burn it.

There is no need and no point in going to MP4

richie
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 155 Location: Ash Vale (Hannington)
Wouldn't you be better off with a portable MP4 player, rather than DVD, for dynamic content such as recent toppy recordings?

Or even a PSP if you want to indulge yourself ...
vroomfondle
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
moogaloo wrote:
Use mpeg streamclip to goto MP2 instead. THis will be as quick as anything as that is what the rec file already is. You may be able to simply burn this file onto DVD and the DVD player will just play it.

This is what I've been doing for ages. many of the even very cheap DVD players will play the resulting mp2.

phil.s
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic ! I didn't realise mp2 was mpeg2. (Slaps forehead) I thought it was audio only.

The great thing about the portable DVD players is the price. 75-150. Portable media players are more like 250 and up.

So, what brands/models can play mp2 files ? I was leaning towards a Philips PET but toppy compatibility is the killer feature for me.
vroomfondle
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
phil.s wrote:
So, what brands/models can play mp2 files ? I was leaning towards a Philips PET but toppy compatibility is the killer feature for me.

Thats the problem, you don't really know until you try it.
I don't have any knowledge about portables dvd players but there was a very cheap normal dvd player on sale recently at ~15 quid that could play 'em. My Eltax was only 30.

richie
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 155 Location: Ash Vale (Hannington)
phil.s wrote:
Fantastic ! I didn't realise mp2 was mpeg2. (Slaps forehead) I thought it was audio only.

The great thing about the portable DVD players is the price. 75-150. Portable media players are more like 250 and up.

Give me this for 145 any day.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000E3U4JU/3000032-21/ref=nosim

Hmmm, smaller screen though, see where you're coming from. This is great for travel etc.
phil.s
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, it's starting to get tempting ! I saw one on allcams.biz that was around 200 with 7" screen and 30Gb hard drive.

Vroomfondle, what model is your dvd player ? If we could identify the chipset it may increase the chances of selecting a compatible player. There is info here about chipsets and some file compatibility: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
richie
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
phil.s wrote:
Hmm, it's starting to get tempting ! I saw one on allcams.biz that was around 200 with 7" screen and 30Gb hard drive.

Vroomfondle, what model is your dvd player ? If we could identify the chipset it may increase the chances of selecting a compatible player. There is info here about chipsets and some file compatibility: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

They're also really good if yu want to go on holiday with a digital camera.

You start the holiday with a hard disk full of videos and an empty camera, and as time goes on, watch it on the plane etc, delete the videos and dump piccies and videos from your camera onto the hard disk.

Cheaper than buying lots of memory cards, you can even get USB bridges for 20 or so which mean you can dump camera files without needing a PC.

Or if you get a "USB Host" media player, it will hoover up camera files all on its own.
Derham
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the Philips PET706 from Tesco for 85.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-PET706-Portable-Widescreen-player/dp/B000HHCCSY

Seems to work ok for me using StreamClip and Ulead VS.

Although I've had no success with the low res programs (544x576) transmitted on the non main stations like ITV3.

SonicLife
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1261
Derham wrote:
Although I've had no success with the low res programs (544x576) transmitted on the non main stations like ITV3.

Have you tried http://www.womble.com/products/dvd.html ? It is quite happy with incorrect DVD resolutions and works straight from the rec file. Or is it the player that cannot cope?
phil.s
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I've ended up buying a Shinco SDP-6820. This claims to playback just about anything. including mpeg4 and divx.

What I found was that it cannot cope with transport stream mpeg. I tried renaming .rec to .mpg and it plays corrupt in the same way that PowerDVD does. I also tried exporting in mpegstreamclip to "Transport Stream with mp2 audio" - same corruption there.

What did work in mpegstreamclip was:
Export to mpeg.
Headed mpeg
Mpeg with mp2 audio.

It seems pretty fast to convert to these formats. 2Gb (1hour viewing) takes 5 mins on a 2.5GHz PC.

Phil.