Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Convert video to audio ?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Tobin's Q
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
OK, possibly a (very) dumb question, but is there any way of converting a recorded video file to (ultimately) an audio mp3 file - I've got some great concerts recorded, and would love to have audio copies on my ipod.

If not, presumably the audio outs are the only possibility - and then I wondered what what the quality might be like recording from them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
Tobin's Q wrote:
OK, possibly a (very) dumb question, but is there any way of converting a recorded video file to (ultimately) an audio mp3 file - I've got some great concerts recorded, and would love to have audio copies on my ipod.

Yes, just use Project-X in its default (and recommended) mode (demux) where it will turn the .rec into a .m2v (video) and .mp2 (mpeg audio). If you wanted to you could then convert the .mp2 to a smaller .mp3 using Lame (or other tools), or to whatever you prefer.

Oh, and if you are brave enough to step into the options then you can turn off the video output and just get left with the .mp2 (or maybe two .mp2 files -- the extra one being a hard-of-hearing audio track).
MikeyP
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
I've used streamclip to produce an AIFF and then converted that to mp3 with another program - don't ask me how as I can't remember

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
Tobin's Q
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! I had a look at Project-X - blimey! Is there a compiled version anywhere? There is a an old link to a compiled version, but it's dead. I downloaded the Doom9 site, but I just get a Java.lang error on starting (commons-net library not accessible)

Or any other less scary looking application. Thanks again
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Tobin's Q wrote:
Thanks! I had a look at Project-X - blimey! Is there a compiled version anywhere? There is a an old link to a compiled version, but it's dead. I downloaded the Doom9 site, but I just get a Java.lang error on starting (commons-net library not accessible)

You've got a partial install. Have a look at this thread and add the extra jar files to the lib directory of your Project-X install.

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=95602
Tobin's Q
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I have both of those files in the 'lib' file already. The error message isn't the same as that on the thread, instead it reads: see readme.txt[ii] ensure the correct location/classpath, related to the executed .jar at net.sourceforge.dvb.projectx.common.Start.main(Start.java:256)

Any ideas?
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Tobin's Q wrote:
Any ideas?

I think it's the same problem. How are you running Project-X? If it's from a shortcut, is it starting in the correct folder? The "lib" folder containing the above jar files needs to be in the folder that contains Project-X.jar, and your shortcut needs to be set to start in that folder, too.
birdman
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1676 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
R2-D2 wrote:
Tobin's Q wrote:
Any ideas?

I think it's the same problem. How are you running Project-X? If it's from a shortcut, is it starting in the correct folder? The "lib" folder containing the above jar files needs to be in the folder that contains Project-X.jar, and your shortcut needs to be set to start in that folder, too.
Or you can set -classpath and -jar to refer to the directory where these are (best done using a script).

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.5
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
mike.hinson
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
If you are happy with command line stuff MPlayer will also strip the MP2 stream from a .rec file. I have used the following syntax:
mplayer.exe -dumpaudio -dumpfile "OutFile.mp2" "InFile.rec"

(there is also bbdemux)
I would also recomend mp3directcut if you need to remove bits from the MP2 file.

LAME will re-encode from mp2 to mp3 if needed, but a better solution is to find a player that will play the MP2 directly.

example command line for LAME is
lame -V 2 --vbr-new --verbose "OutFile.mp2" "OutFile.mp3"

Good luck
/\/\

sanecyclist
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
Tobin's Q wrote:
I had a look at Project-X - blimey!

ProjectX would deserve to make the shortlist for "worst user interface, ever".

You might want to try the much more straightforward MPEG Streamclip instead. No compile or install required. "Demux to MPA" from the File menu will extract the soundtrack, and then you could use a Lame frontend like RazorLame to convert to MP3.
Tobin's Q
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Many thanks - was on the point of giving up !
sanecyclist
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
Sorry, I forgot to mention you do need to install Apple's Quicktime or the bother-free Quicktime Alternative for Streamclip to work.
Tobin's Q
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Just to say, I downloaded everything, but was overwhelmed by it all. In the end I bought a external USB sound card and connected my laptop to the back of the Topfield using the RCA connectors and just recorded it to a WAV then MP3 file. To these ears it sounds perfect on my iPod in case anyone else wants to do the same thing. Thanks for the suggestions though!
Figrin_dan
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 11 Nov 2006 Posts: 95
sanecyclist wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention you do need to install Apple's Quicktime or the bother-free Quicktime Alternative for Streamclip to work.

I didn't need to do this. For radio shows I have done MPEG_Streamclip, open .REC, demux to .MPA (rename it .MP3) and use Mega MP3splitter to split into 5 min sections. Didn't cost a bean.

I think you only need Quicktime to convert MPEG to something else.
gomezz
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3880 Location: Buckingham
sanecyclist wrote:

Quicktime Alternative gave me an awful lot of bother when I tried to install it. Quickly junked never to darken the hard-drive of my computer again.