Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page
 
Author Message

<  Computer connections  ~  java .rec file converter - where has it gone?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
walding
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Dec 2006 Posts: 19
Hi,

I am using linux, and struggling to convert .rec files to mpg.
I have tried using ProjectX, but I don't want demux - just converting!
THe .rec file converter link (on http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/windows.php) is no longer valid - it was a great tool (but I've lost it!). Is it available anywhere?

Cheers,

Walders
View user's profile Send private message
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5888 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
The only information I can find, and it doesn't look good, is here:-

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=7445&st=80

_________________
Hyde.
2x TF5800 All controlled with Harmony Ultimate , TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -RSy+BmC0CbCfCtDsEgEmEvFsGIMPePsR0ScUUuWfXZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.3; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5 RC2;
MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vroomfondle
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
Is this the ts2rec.jar ? if so I have it.
or convert.jar I have that too.

_________________
5800 (400Gb, fan cooled). Firmware: 5.13.40PHT2a Taps: MyStuff5.21a, Mediamanager1.3
Other: ASUS WL-500gx + Olegs (1.9.2.7-7f) + ftpd-topfield (0.7.4) + rt2mei0.63
View user's profile Send private message
walding
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Dec 2006 Posts: 19
vroomfondle wrote:
Is this the ts2rec.jar ? if so I have it.
or convert.jar I have that too.


It sounds about right. All I want to do is convert to mpg, so I can then use Avedimux to edit, so if it does that, great!

Is it available to download anywhere?

Walders
View user's profile Send private message
vroomfondle
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
I must've downloaded it sometime ago from peteru's website.
The two jar files appear to be identical and look the same when I run them. They are only 32Kb
get 'em here
http://rapidshare.com/files/18113561/peteru_java_converter.rar.html
Apologies to peteru may be in order

_________________
5800 (400Gb, fan cooled). Firmware: 5.13.40PHT2a Taps: MyStuff5.21a, Mediamanager1.3
Other: ASUS WL-500gx + Olegs (1.9.2.7-7f) + ftpd-topfield (0.7.4) + rt2mei0.63
View user's profile Send private message
walding
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Dec 2006 Posts: 19
vroomfondle wrote:
I must've downloaded it sometime ago from peteru's website.
The two jar files appear to be identical and look the same when I run them. They are only 32Kb
get 'em here
http://rapidshare.com/files/18113561/peteru_java_converter.rar.html
Apologies to peteru may be in order


That's great - thanks a lot!
View user's profile Send private message
walding
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Dec 2006 Posts: 19
walding wrote:
vroomfondle wrote:
I must've downloaded it sometime ago from peteru's website.
The two jar files appear to be identical and look the same when I run them. They are only 32Kb
get 'em here
http://rapidshare.com/files/18113561/peteru_java_converter.rar.html
Apologies to peteru may be in order


That's great - thanks a lot!


Ah - this converts TO .rec; I can't seem to get it to convert FROM .rec
WHen I do the conversion from .rec in Project X, it changes my aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 (or 1:1?). Perhaps I'm not using Project X correctly, but I'm just after a simple conversion (isn't .rec just TS with headers??).

Perhaps I'm being rather stupid? If so, can anyone help an idiot?
View user's profile Send private message
R2-D2
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
walding wrote:
Perhaps I'm not using Project X correctly, but I'm just after a simple conversion (isn't .rec just TS with headers??).

Yes, it is. There are 3760 bytes in the header of a .rec file, then it's a standard TS file. A lot of programs can cope (to varying degrees) with a .rec file directly as if it's a TS file with dodgy data at the start (might not pick up the correct data, though). The simplest thing is to chop the header off (which is incredibly inefficient with large files!) or rewrite the header so it looks like a proper TS file.

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7338
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
walding
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Dec 2006 Posts: 19
R2-D2 wrote:
walding wrote:
Perhaps I'm not using Project X correctly, but I'm just after a simple conversion (isn't .rec just TS with headers??).

Yes, it is. There are 3760 bytes in the header of a .rec file, then it's a standard TS file. A lot of programs can cope (to varying degrees) with a .rec file directly as if it's a TS file with dodgy data at the start (might not pick up the correct data, though). The simplest thing is to chop the header off (which is incredibly inefficient with large files!) or rewrite the header so it looks like a proper TS file.

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7338


Thanks for the help guys.
It seems that aspect ratio is my problem. Even using the tool above (in Windows) results in a file with 4:3 aspect ratio, whereas the .rec views in 16:9. Does anyone know what causes that change? The only way for me to retain the 16:9 aspect ratio is to re-encode the whole TS file (I use Avidemux), which obviously takes ages. It's then suitable for editing (remove commercials; trims ends etc.)...very long-winded way of doing it!

What am I doing wrong? I'm feeling like a right idiot, as I'm sure there's a simple method that I'm just not seeing! Too many late nights...

Walders
View user's profile Send private message
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
walding wrote:
It seems that aspect ratio is my problem. Even using the tool above (in Windows) results in a file with 4:3 aspect ratio, whereas the .rec views in 16:9.

A little more info would be useful. What programme is it? Is the whole thing meant to be 16:9? Is the preview wrong in Project-X? Does it spot the difference between your programme and other things in the .rec (like adverts or adjoining programmes)?

A number of viewers get aspect ratio wrong with .TS files. UK broadcasts are all interlaced and the image "size" is usually quite different from the displayed "size". But I've never seen Project-X get it wrong with any of my recordings.

It could also be that the broadcaster has got things wrong (which would mess up the .rec). I've seen CSI on FiveUS with the wrong ratio. And on another PVR I had, there were always problems with sport broadcasts (on BBC and ITV).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
walding
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Dec 2006 Posts: 19
R2-D2 wrote:
walding wrote:
It seems that aspect ratio is my problem. Even using the tool above (in Windows) results in a file with 4:3 aspect ratio, whereas the .rec views in 16:9.

A little more info would be useful. What programme is it? Is the whole thing meant to be 16:9? Is the preview wrong in Project-X? Does it spot the difference between your programme and other things in the .rec (like adverts or adjoining programmes)?

A number of viewers get aspect ratio wrong with .TS files. UK broadcasts are all interlaced and the image "size" is usually quite different from the displayed "size". But I've never seen Project-X get it wrong with any of my recordings.

It could also be that the broadcaster has got things wrong (which would mess up the .rec). I've seen CSI on FiveUS with the wrong ratio. And on another PVR I had, there were always problems with sport broadcasts (on BBC and ITV).


The programme is "Ugly Betty" (US comedy, Channel 4 transmission).
The .rec file loads in Project-X, and views correctly (16:9) - as it does on my TV, or if I play the .rec file with VLC.
Project-X reports it as 704x576i (16:9). Looking at that now, it doesn't seem right - that's a 4:3 ratio, isn't it? In any case, it previews in 16:9 ratio and looks good.

Adverts and adjoining programmes are all the same. But maybe Channel 4 get there transmissions right each time? They certainly seem to be better than the Beeb at aspect ratios from my viewing experience!

I then use Project-X to convert to TS (press "prepare..."; check the "to TS" check-box; press "quickstart").
The resulting file views in Avidemux in 4:3 ratio, and looks squished in.

I know that I have taken the same .rec file and fluked it to save as .mpg and viewing in the correct format, but I can neither remember how I did it, nor can I reproduce that! I want to take the whole series through the same process (convert; strip ads & adjoining programmes; save as mpg; reconvert to .rec (or DVD) as required).
View user's profile Send private message
vroomfondle
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
walding wrote:

Ah - this converts TO .rec; I can't seem to get it to convert FROM .rec
...

Its supposed to convert from .rec but it seems it looks specifically for a TF5000PVRt information in the header.
With a .rec from a UK 5800 it says this
Code:
Checking if this is a TF5000PVRt file
NO, this is not a TF5000PVRt file
Seeing if there is any sign of MPEG-2 transport stream
Valid MPEG-2 transport stream  starts at file offset 3760
and contains the following PIDs:
PID 17 OTHER
PID 600 VIDEO
PID 601 OTHER
PID 4163 OTHER

_________________
5800 (400Gb, fan cooled). Firmware: 5.13.40PHT2a Taps: MyStuff5.21a, Mediamanager1.3
Other: ASUS WL-500gx + Olegs (1.9.2.7-7f) + ftpd-topfield (0.7.4) + rt2mei0.63
View user's profile Send private message
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
walding wrote:
Project-X reports it as 704x576i (16:9). Looking at that now, it doesn't seem right - that's a 4:3 ratio, isn't it?

No, it's the complicated issue I was talking about. The source is interlaced anamorphic widescreen, which easily confuses some decoders/viewers. but Project-X has it right.

Quote:
The resulting file views in Avidemux in 4:3 ratio, and looks squished in.

It's most likely that the problem is with Avidemux not understanding what it's being given. How does the resulting .ts file view in VLC (since you said it got the source .rec correct)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
vroomfondle wrote:
Its supposed to convert from .rec but it seems it looks specifically for a TF5000PVRt information in the header.
With a .rec from a UK 5800 it says this
Code:
Checking if this is a TF5000PVRt file
NO, this is not a TF5000PVRt file
Seeing if there is any sign of MPEG-2 transport stream
Valid MPEG-2 transport stream  starts at file offset 3760
and contains the following PIDs:
PID 17 OTHER
PID 600 VIDEO
PID 601 OTHER
PID 4163 OTHER

Does it then work? Because it is correct in noting that the TS data starts at offset 3760 in the .rec file. I'd expect it to cope fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vroomfondle
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
R2-D2 wrote:
vroomfondle wrote:
Its supposed to convert from .rec but it seems it looks specifically for a TF5000PVRt information in the header.
With a .rec from a UK 5800 it says this
Code:
Checking if this is a TF5000PVRt file
NO, this is not a TF5000PVRt file
Seeing if there is any sign of MPEG-2 transport stream
Valid MPEG-2 transport stream  starts at file offset 3760
and contains the following PIDs:
PID 17 OTHER
PID 600 VIDEO
PID 601 OTHER
PID 4163 OTHER

Does it then work? Because it is correct in noting that the TS data starts at offset 3760 in the .rec file. I'd expect it to cope fine.

Not really, because it doesn't see the input file as a valid .rec, it converts the .rec to a .rec and you get <filename>.rec.rec.
You are able to pick the PIDs you want.

_________________
5800 (400Gb, fan cooled). Firmware: 5.13.40PHT2a Taps: MyStuff5.21a, Mediamanager1.3
Other: ASUS WL-500gx + Olegs (1.9.2.7-7f) + ftpd-topfield (0.7.4) + rt2mei0.63
View user's profile Send private message

Display posts from previous:  

All times are GMT
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum