Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  creating a favourites list in mystuff

Page 1 of 1
amanda
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Please could someone help me create a fav's list in mystuff. I have read the manual, but being a woman I don't quite understand how or where to create the text file needed for the list. I have also tried looking through the forum for relevant information but as yet I have had no joy.
I would be very grateful is someone could point me in the right direction.
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
I could email you one, then you could edit it in note pad to your requirements. You could then save it as a different name for each favourites you want.

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
amanda
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks ugly--kid--joe that would be very much appreciated, my email address is

[edit]By HydeTheDarkerSide. Hi Amanda, not a good idea to put your email address on plain view on a web site, since it'll get picked by email spammers. So I've taken the liberty of editing it so that it's human readable, but should avoid any spam bots. Better still is to use the "PM" link which sends a private message to the indivdual whose post you've clicked on. Smile

[edit2]By HydeTheDarkerSide. Can we also post in the MyStuff help thread please.

Last edited by amanda on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
Sent you an email, If i were you i would edit your post now and remove your email address.

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
amanda
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
Thanks for editing my email address Hyde, I did actually wonder about putting it in the post. I'm a bit of a novice at all this. I think I've removed it completely now. Thanks again much appreciated.

and thanks to you again ugly--kid--joe your help.[/quote]
chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9305 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Are you all sorted now? Its very simple. Just open up notepad on a pc, type the LCNs of the channels you want in your fav list one below the other, save the file as 'Amandas Favs.mcl' and transfer to the Toppy with Altair in the /ProgramFiles/Settings/MyStuff/FavLists/ folder

BTW, the LCN is the channel number, you can find these out by pressing OK when there is nothing on screen bar the picture.

HTH

CW

amanda
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes I am sorted now thanks Chunkywizard you are right it is not very difficult. After receiving ugly--kids fav's list I realised where I was going wrong and your post confirmed it for me.
Thanks again for your help and quick replies you have all been great. Very Happy
chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9305 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
So what were you doing wrong? I will try and update the manual to clarify the process based on your feedback.

CW

amanda
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
What was I doing wrong.............This is what I think happened. After reading about the fav's list in mystuff I was intially unsure of what a text file was, it did not take me long to find out that you can create a text file in notepad, which is what I did and I saved it as .mcl file. (at least I thought I did) after copying it onto my toppy (at least 5 times). I could not find it. I then began to think that it was more complicated than I first thought and was unsure of what else to do. When I got the fav's file that ugly--kid sent me I noticed it did not quite look like the file I was copying onto my toppy. I then noticed that I was copying a text document and not the .mcl file. Confused In all honesty I don't even remember seeing the .mcl file.
When I checked my original list it was saved as my favourites.mcl text document and not mcl file (it also looked like a notepad). But not having seen an mcl file before I just thought that the text document was the file needed to create my favourites list.
Does that makes sense to you? I am not technically minded and I am getting more confused the more I think about it. Laughing
chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I think that makes sense! Normally text documents that are created on a PC have a .txt ending. If you have the endings hidden on your PC then I think that will be confusing. What the mcl file is is a file called Amandas Favs.txt which you then rename to be Amandas Favs.mcl. So it is a text file, but it has a different ending. I guess that is simple if you are used to PCs but could be confusing. Let us know if you don't understand anything else and we will try and elaborate a bit,

Glad you have it sorted now though,

CW

R2-D2
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
chunkywizard wrote:
Yep, I think that makes sense! Normally text documents that are created on a PC have a .txt ending. If you have the endings hidden on your PC then I think that will be confusing.

Of course, now that MyStuff has its own directory for such things, maybe the constraint on filename could be relaxed in order to better support users who are less experienced with the foibles of Windows. At the very least, allowing .txt (or .mcl.txt) files in FavLists would be a good thing.
vroomfondle
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
Ok, I thought I knew how this worked but since the favs file has moved to its new folder I seem to be unable to add any channels to MyStuff
e.g. added 32 (Film4 +1) via RT2MEI to
/ProgramFiles/Settings/MyStuff/FavLists/My Favourites.mcl
Not only does it not show anything in the EPG at all for this channel, when I tune manually to Film4 +1 MyStuff shows the logo for PriceDropTV.
It does show the correct LCN (32) and name for Film4+1
Edit: fixed it by deleting mystuff.dat