Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  ftpd-topfield update (0.7.4)

Page 17 of 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Fraser67
Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Sep 2005 Posts: 42
I have the source code for ftpd-topfield 0.7.7n and puppy 1.14o, but I don't know exactly how to compile them.

Can the source be copied to the router and built on it? Do thee files need to be in a specific location with any specific tools etc?

I am also in the process of building an open-wrt image via a linux pc (Ubuntu). Do ftpd-topfield and puppy need to be built and a package file produced on the linux pc? If so any info on how I go about this, the more detail the better.

Thanks

Fraser
birdman
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1759 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
Fraser67 wrote:
I have the source code for ftpd-topfield 0.7.7n and puppy 1.14o, but I don't know exactly how to compile them.
That would be the "Compiling ftpd‑topfield" here. If you're not used to doing this and need more help/guidance them PM me.
and also wrote:
Can the source be copied to the router and built on it?
That's what I did to build the binaries that are there.
and added wrote:
Do thee files need to be in a specific location with any specific tools etc?
Not when you compile them. Each package produces one executable file (ftpd and puppy). You need to put these somewhere "useful", but where that is may depend on how you have your system set up. On my Plug (a Ubuntu system) I have them in /local/bin, as that's where I put things that I've built or written myself, to distinguish them from system things.
and further wrote:
I am also in the process of building an open-wrt image via a linux pc (Ubuntu). Do ftpd-topfield and puppy need to be built and a package file produced on the linux pc? If so any info on how I go about this, the more detail the better.
If you're just doing it for yourself then you can just compile them and copy in those two executables. Or you could just download the binary for the relevant architecture from the link above. Well - you'll also need a start-up script of some sort for ftpd-topfield, either to run it as a permanent daemon from the startup scripts, or to run it out of (x)inetd.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
Fraser67
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
Is there a reason why the patched file is called "ftpd" rather than "ftpd-topfiled"?
birdman
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1759 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
Fraser67 wrote:
Is there a reason why the patched file is called "ftpd" rather than "ftpd-topfiled"?
It was always built that way. The code is a "standard" ftpd daemon, patched to handle the topfield. Since you'll install it somewhere other than the build location anyway the name doesn't really matter - you could just build it as a.out.

TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
Fraser67
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
I think I am getting somewhere. I am using an Asus WL-500W router with Open-Wrt on it. I don't think (or I can't get them to run) the complied binaries for mips (Oleg's 1.9.2.7‑10) work with Open-Wrt?

So I think I will have to compile them myself. I can't do this on the router as it does not have enough memory so I think I will have to get to grips the Open-Wrt SDK and compile it on a Linux machine I have been getting to grips with. So a lot more learning for me I think. I will be interesting if the Make file works or I have to create a new one.

If I ever get this to work I will post the Open-Wrt binaries. If anyone has any more info or tips to compiling these files using SDK environments then "pm me" .

Last edited by Fraser67 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
chris_s
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 405
Fraser67 wrote:
..............@talktalk.net.
Fraser, I believe that it is not such a good idea to put personal e-maila addresses on open forums: they can get harvested for spam. You could edit it out and say "pm me".

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
birdman
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Fraser67 wrote:
I can't do this on the router as it does not have enough memory
How much does it have? My Asus has 32MB and that's more than enough.

Fraser67
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
The WL-500W has 8MB of flash and 32MB of RAM. What extra packages are needed to compile on the router?
birdman
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:54 am Reply with quote
Fraser67 wrote:
What extra packages are needed to compile on the router?
On Oleg's the buildroot package provides it.
It seems that openwrt also has a buildroot, but it's not exactly clear what that includes. There is a thread about it which sort of implies that you need to be it, and there some (helpful ?) hints about getting it right here. But that may just refer to building a later (more recent) version of gcc. If buildroot has one (and I presume it does, otherwise I can't see how you can build anything - including gcc itself) then you might as well just use that.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/buildroot has info on building buildroot, but I don't understand why you need to build it, nor why it refers to Debian, Fedora, openSuSE and ubuntu. Unless this is about cross-compilers, which isn't what you are looking for.

Fraser67
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
I have managed to create the SDK build environment on my Ubuntu machine. I now need to work out how to use it and modify the puppy and ftpd-topfield Makefile to compile in the SDK environment. It could take some time, but what else are winter evenings for?
birdman
Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
Fraser67 wrote:
I now need to work out how to use it and modify the puppy and ftpd-topfield Makefile to compile in the SDK environment. It could take some time, but what else are winter evenings for?
They only require cc (== gcc) and libusb (assuming you aren't using the old way to scan for devices), which is an installable package, so it might not take much.

marshalla
Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Just curious - is anyone still using this software on recent Linux distros ?

If so - could you perhaps give me some help ?

I can't get ftpd-topfield or puppy (both the patched "p" versions) to communicate with my Toppy in a 64-bit Fedora 22 or 23 system.

The Toppy is visible in lsusb and I've tried various udev rules, but apart from initially connecting to and recognising the Toppy, neither piece of software can do anything more.
mstombs
Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 935
I have used the tools on recent Ubuntu. I recall the issue is that the Toppy is automounted as a gphoto device - does in appear in a folder list, top level folders may also be visible, but not files? - you need to unmount it before other tools can use the connection. There have been posts detailing how to blacklist the Toppy from the automount.
Earl_Hickey
Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2007 Posts: 206
marshalla wrote:
Just curious - is anyone still using this software on recent Linux distros ?

If so - could you perhaps give me some help ?

I can't get ftpd-topfield or puppy (both the patched "p" versions) to communicate with my Toppy in a 64-bit Fedora 22 or 23 system.

The Toppy is visible in lsusb and I've tried various udev rules, but apart from initially connecting to and recognising the Toppy, neither piece of software can do anything more.

Yep - using in on Linux Mint 17.3 as we speak.

I used the advice here: http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179571 to ensure it wasn't mounted and just run ftpd-topfield from terminal when I want to use it - I know I could automate this but I haven't really needed to as yet.

I then connect through FileZilla - 'localhost' & port '2021' (as set in ftpd-topfield); login type 'Anonymous'. Make sure you have 'bypass proxy' set and 'limit simultaneous connections' to 1.

marshalla
Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Earl_Hickey wrote:

Yep - using in on Linux Mint 17.3 as we speak.

I used the advice here: http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179571 to ensure it wasn't mounted and just run ftpd-topfield from terminal when I want to use it - I know I could automate this but I haven't really needed to as yet.

I then connect through FileZilla - 'localhost' & port '2021' (as set in ftpd-topfield); login type 'Anonymous'. Make sure you have 'bypass proxy' set and 'limit simultaneous connections' to 1.

Thanks - I've been through all that, but as soon as I enter a username for the ftp session, the server terminates. Both pieces of software are recognising the Toppy, but don't seem to be able to send any data to it at all.

Puppy fails as follows :

Code:

[root@zurich puppy_1.14p]# ./puppy -vv -P -c size
Found a Topfield TF5000PVRt
send_cmd_hdd_size
OUT> 00 08 c0 0d 00 00 10 00
OUT>........
error writing to bulk endpoint 0x1: Bad file descriptor
error 9 reading from bulk endpoint 0x82: Bad file descriptor
Short read. 0 bytes