Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Preparing .rec files for AppleTV

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
stevenrichardjackson
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Jul 2006 Posts: 31 Location: Lincoln, UK
Hi,

I have transferred some .rec files from my Toppy to my Mac and want to convert them to something that will ultimately be playable on AppleTV. Obviously, the first step is to get them into iTunes -- but how do I achieve this?

I want to create a file with the best possible quality for viewing on the Mac/Apple TV. I *do not care* whether it can play on the iPod...

I'd also be very happy if I could do this with free software, though I will purchase if absolutely necessary...

Any help very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.
sanecyclist
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
Have a look at MPEG Streamclip. Among many other things, it can read .recs and transcode to MPEG4-AVC using Quicktime codecs.

Btw, is the AppleTV Wikipedia page actually correct in saying that it only supports MPEG-4 video? Converting .recs to bog standard MPEG-2 is much much faster than transcoding to MPEG-4.
stevenrichardjackson
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Jul 2006 Posts: 31 Location: Lincoln, UK
Sorry, no idea about the formats. That's what I was hoping to find out.

Steve
moogaloo
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK
I do this for my ipod and use streamclip. It has an ipod function. The only problem I find is that it stretches rather than pillarboxes widescreen content.

matt
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2303 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
There are also other Mac based apps that will do the recode, though I have only use MPEGStreamClip.

eg.
http://www.mp4converter.net

I'd try playing an MPEG2 file on it, because of the quicker recode time, but i doubt you'll have any luck. In Streamclip, the menu option is "Convert to MPEG with MP2 audio"

However, you might have more luck with this: a small droplet app that adds links to your movies to iTunes rather than the movie. Maybe this different approach might help?

http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes.html

I found it at www.iusethis.com

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
moogaloo
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK
The ipod only likes MP4 or quictime. If Apple TV is the same then MPEG with MP2 Audio will not work

matt
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2303 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
I reckon you're right.

AFAIK AppleTV uses embedded OS X (like the latest Airport Extreme base station or the iPhone, though they all use an obviously different subset of features) and as we knwo you need to install the Apple MPEG2 plugin to get MPEG2 to work on a Mac.

Though it'll take next to no time to transfer a 5 minute rec/mpeg2 to check.

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
jclaydon
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Posts: 96 Location: Guildford
Slightly off topic but as your discussing Apple TV...

I'm interested in getting this but don't have a HDMI or Component Video on my tv, anyone know of a way I'd be able to connect it?

Would a component video to scart cable do the job or do these only work the other way round (ie scart to component).

J
toodeep
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Apr 2005 Posts: 281
I have been told these by Apple:

RGB component video is supported, i.e. with the right cable Apple TV can work with many SCART connections;

according to Apple's website 'if it's on iTunes, it's on Apple TV' meaning that MPEG-2 content gets transcoded on the fly (if not in real time) (and providing that one owns the QT MPEG-2 component presumably).

Nice if true. I was surprised at both...
matt
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow.

acudlip
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Nov 2005 Posts: 74
I used streamclip to convert a 1 hour Sopranos episode to mp4 to play on my IPOD. On my PC, it took 12 hours!
moogaloo
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
If we could get a cam that coud decode MP4, DivX, xVid and non REC MP2, expecially if it could stream (play whilst still being copied) then just networking a toppy with this setup would give you the same effect. Except for any Digital Rights Management from itunes of course.

sanecyclist
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
acudlip wrote:
I used streamclip to convert a 1 hour Sopranos episode to mp4 to play on my IPOD. On my PC, it took 12 hours!

That is pretty awful. You might want to give the open source x264 encoder a try. In codec test it performs much better than Quicktime.

It's included in various projects, e.g. SUPER is a fairly easy interface, whereas MeGui is the most comprehensive. I think both have predefined iPod profiles.

Transcoding a one hour Toppy recording to High Profile AVC takes two to four hours on my aging Athlon XP 2.1GHz, depending on target bitrate/quality.
jclaydon
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Posts: 96 Location: Guildford
toodeep wrote:
I have been told these by Apple:

RGB component video is supported, i.e. with the right cable Apple TV can work with many SCART connections;

Would this require the tv scart socket to accept Component video? Or simply RGB?

This seems to determine whether you can buy a component video to scart cable for around 20 or a Component video to scart convertor for around 80.
acudlip
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Nov 2005 Posts: 74
sanecyclist wrote:
acudlip wrote:

That is pretty awful. You might want to give the open source x264 encoder a try. In codec test it performs much better than Quicktime.

It's included in various projects, e.g. SUPER is a fairly easy interface, whereas MeGui is the most comprehensive. I think both have predefined iPod profiles.

Transcoding a one hour Toppy recording to High Profile AVC takes two to four hours on my aging Athlon XP 2.1GHz, depending on target bitrate/quality.

Thanks sanecyclist, I will give SUPER a go.