Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Freeview, TopUp and TV  ~  Sky's new pay DTT service

Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9568 Location: London
Coming later this year, apparently, using MPEG4 and encryption to provide premiership football land other stuff.

I shall have to do some digging and see if they're going to use a transcoding CAM, or if they'll expect people to buy a Sky branded receiver for it. If there is a CAM, Toppy users should be able to use it.

There's a story on Media Guardian, and a thread on Digital Spy - though that seems to be beset by an irritating flash advert on every page today.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Posts: 260 Location: Willerby, East Yorkshire
Further information

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6343715.stm

"Sky's top shows to go terrestrial
Sky is to make some of its most popular programmes, movies and sports available on digital terrestrial television.

The four channels on the new service will offer a range of shows for a monthly subscription from this summer.

Viewers will receive them through a normal TV aerial, with a new set-top box, rather than a satellite dish.

Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News will disappear from digital terrestrial to make way. Media regulator Ofcom must approve the plans before they go ahead."

AutoStart TAPs: MyStuff v6.3 | eit2mei BETA 7.8m3 | TF5000 (LCD) Display TAP 1.51a | TSR Commander 1.5 | PowerManager v2.0 | TapCommander 1.31 Beta 6 | SuperPiP 1.1a | AccurateBM | RecordingFixer
Toys: Samsung 37" HD Freeview, Sony HT-SS500 Amplifier + 5.1 Speakers, Netgear Router, BuffaloNAS 4Tb, Xbox, Wii, PS3
bygjohn
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 May 2006 Posts: 216 Location: Crewe (TX: Winter Hill)
nwhitfield wrote:
Coming later this year, apparently, using MPEG4 and encryption to provide premiership football land other stuff.

I shall have to do some digging and see if they're going to use a transcoding CAM, or if they'll expect people to buy a Sky branded receiver for it. If there is a CAM, Toppy users should be able to use it.

There's a story on Media Guardian, and a thread on Digital Spy - though that seems to be beset by an irritating flash advert on every page today.

Nigel.
Well I'll be sad to see Sky3 go, though not heartbroken, TBH. It certainly won't persuade me to shell out on subscription channels, though.

Guess this is a direct result of OFCOM allowing pay TV on all the muxes: I really am beginning to develop a hearty loathing of OFCOM - they seem entirely geared towards helping big business screw increasing amounts of money out of the populace instead of protecting the cultural wellbeing of the country. Evil or Very Mad

OTOH, it may scupper the rump of TUTV and then flop itself if it relies on a proprietary box, leaving the way clear for free channels in the long run (or some HD). Been taking those happy pills again... Laughing

Livy
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 584 Location: Fife, Scotland
there goes another decent channel from freeview if it goes ahead.

• Connected via Buffalo Linkstation Live 2TB
Nimbus
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Jan 2006 Posts: 581 Location: Leicestershire. 7 miles from the Waltham transmitter...
Steve_48 wrote:

Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News will disappear from digital terrestrial to make way. Media regulator Ofcom must approve the plans before they go ahead."

What!?! I'd miss Sky 3. I don't watch it that much, but will miss the chance to see Battlestar Galactica Season 2 when it's on..

TAPs in load order : Font Manager 1 | TF5000 Display v1.26 | Remote Extender 1.6 | Description Extender 2.23 | Info Viewer 1.7 | Media Manager 1.5 | mei2archive BETA 3.5 | QuickJump 1.64 | Goldfish 0.5 | Power Manager 2.0 | UK Auto Scheduler 0.73 | EPGnavigator 6.1 | WSSKiller 2.12d
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9321 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
OT..anyone know what the plans are for BSG series 2??

CW

andygrunt
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 401 Location: Bristol, UK
I watch Sky News every day and like Sky 3 for 24, Galactica, the 4400 and Lost (apparently they were going to repeat it on Sky3 later in the year)

Not happy at all Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Jan 2007 Posts: 34
I'm more worried about the lockin.

It's a safe bet Sky aren't going to produce a CAM, so in future people will get a choice:

Get a Sky TV box that gets all channels, with the possibility of subsctribing to sports. Probably free with a 12 month sub.
Get a freeview box that gets a few channels, and costs more.

The more channels that go under the Sky pay umbrella that are currently on freeview the less attractive 'real' freeview gets, until you end up with the same as the satellite situation - use a Sky branded box or look at a blank screen.

Innovative things like the toppy couldn't exist in that environment, since Sky insist that every licensed box runs the Sky software and sticks exactly to the Sky specification.

In pretty much all scenarios TUTV are dead, since Sky will just buy all the pay tv rights.
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be so sure - there are good arguments for them using CAMs - not least of which, they can get all those people who will have integrated TVs, and don't like the idea of cluttering the place up with extra boxes around the place.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure - there are good arguments for them using CAMs - not least of which, they can get all those people who will have integrated TVs, and don't like the idea of cluttering the place up with extra boxes around the place.

There are good arguments for them using CAMs on satellite too... they're not going to because it would mean they'd lose their hardware monopoly.

Controlling the platform is a money maker - if they can pull it off (and I've no doubt that is what they want) then they'll have effective control of DTT.

Only if it isn't going to work (their service dies because nobody is prepared to buy their box, for example) will they consider CAMs.. but it wouldn't surprise me if they used an incompatible EPG too, just to make sure 3rd party boxes didn't work.
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I think they'll find it harder to avoid the standards on DTT; they have to work with other people on the multiplexes - on satellite, they can do pretty much what they want with their own transponders.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
I think they'll find it harder to avoid the standards on DTT; they have to work with other people on the multiplexes - on satellite, they can do pretty much what they want with their own transponders.

Nigel.

True... and the BBC will be fighting them tooth an nail too. However IMO it's clear what they want to happen.

When TUTV started up much the same issues were there, but it went the other way - channels started pay and went FTV rather than the other way around... largely because people weren't buying TUTV boxes in any real numbers. Sky of course have more money, better marketing, and could pull it off. I just hope they don't.
PaulTaylor
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Jun 2005 Posts: 45 Location: Melksham, Wilts
Searching for Sky DTT I saw this:

http://www.digitaltelevision.gov.uk/pdf_documents/consultations/spec_planning_responses/spectrum_BSkyB.pdf

Item 4 on page 1: "attracting consumers to digital television"

Item 9 on page 12: "there will be a period of time when up to 20% of viewers will potentially have no access to digital terrestrial signals at analogue terrestrial switch-off. Sky believes viewers should be provided with options for continuity of service."

Personally, with the Kylie/Battlestar/more recent spam "over-picture promotions" on Sky 3, I'm on the verge of deleting the channel anyway (reminds me why I wouldn't want a Sky 12 month contract Smile ), but only one free news channel would hurt?

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jan 2006 Posts: 190 Location: Surrey
This is pretty sad news in our household if it goes through. Crying or Very sad
We don't watch sky 3, but Sky news is a very useful alternative news channel to bbc. What we would miss most however is Sky Sports News which we watch live more than any other channel on freeview.

5800 Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched) Taps in order in AutoStart: Latest versions of MyStuff, Eit2Mei, Description Extender, Remote Extender, Improbox, Jukebox, TapLauncher (MeiSearch), Font Manager, Accurate Bookmarking.
Trendannoyer
Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Aug 2006 Posts: 60
IMO this is an ill situation unless it fails.

iv only just started watching Sky 3 as well! Smile