Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Test firmware: version 5.13.39

Page 1 of 7
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9567 Location: London
A new test firmware is now available for downloads from the Members only area of the site.

This is a test firmware, which has been sanity checked by the beta test group, and appears to perform reasonably well, however you should note that it has not had as much testing as a full formal release, and there may be some incompatibilities with TAPs. Use and install at your own risk, and please provide feedback here.

Known changes

1. This firmware will work on units with all loader versions, so can be installed on any TF5800, regardless of age.

2. Compared to version 5.12.88 ("Bastille"), the running status is improved, though it may still sometimes have errors

3. When editing a file, it is now possible to cut right to the end again.

4. When rescanning, part-time channels no longers cause duplicate LCNs to be created (eg BBC3/4, CBBC)

5. An additional keypress for confirmation of manual recordings that was introduced after firmware 5.12.88 has now been removed

Known issues

1. Many of the same memory-related TAP issues that apply to firmware 5.12.88 will also apply to this one, since it too has the improved EPG code.

2. Users of ImproBox 2.0 must update to a more recent 2.1 version, otherwise a crash will occurr when stopping playback; this affects firmwares from 5.12.99 onwards.

3. TAPs that rely on firmware hacks may not run on this firmware, and may need to be updated.

4. Some beta testers reported a system crash or a lockup, which appears to be a TAP-related issue, but these have not been reproducible, or tracked to a particular TAP.

Downloading this firmware

To download this firmware, you must be signed in to the Services area of the site; if you are not, or you have not used site Services before, you will see a login screen instead of the download page. You must sign in with your forum user name and password, and you should check your preferences on the set page, before selecting the member only downloads area.

If you do not know how to install firmware without referring to the guide, then you probably shouldn't be trying this test file.

Note, as ever, this file is provided as a courtesy to forum members, and is not to be distributed or hosted elsewhere.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
nwhitfield wrote:
Known changes: 5. An additional keypress for confirmation of manual recordings that was introduced after firmware 5.12.88 has now been removed.

I didn't know there was an additional keypress to make on manual recordings??

Duly downloaded Very Happy

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
You wouldn't have seen it unless you had a later firmware on your box; when setting a timer through the menus, you had to press OK to dismiss a dialogue, which previously would time out.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Ah - you mean it was introduced after,but not including bastille?

By manual, I thought you meant pressing direct record from the viewing screen

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
jumbo
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
Is it possible to list the TAPs which "hack the firmware" and are known to work with the new firmware (just as Improbox was alluded to above); similarly TAPs that are known NOT to work with this firmware.
andygrunt
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 401 Location: Bristol, UK
nwhitfield wrote:
2. Compared to version 5.12.88 ("Bastille"), the running status is improved, though it may still sometimes have errors

I don't understand what you mean by 'running status'. Could you expand on this?

Also, is there a complete list of improvements anywhere that might help me decide if this is worth installing?

Thanks.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9321 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Description Extender and Remote Extender need to be upgraded. There are unofficial versions that work though (hopefully someone can post links, if not then if no-one objects I can upload to my site). They are unoffical as SimonC did not do the upgrade but as source code is available you can roll your own.

Apart from that, all the TAPs in my sig work out of the box (so to speak)

HTH

CW

nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
The list of improvements is what I've referred to in the 'known changes' in the post; if there were more, I'd have included them.

Running status is the indication of which programme is currently running; in firmware 5.12.88, the status is not updated correctly for programmes on other multiplexes. In this firmware, that behaviour is somewhat improved, though not 100% fixed. This can cause the wrong programme to be highlighted as you browse the EPG, or the wrong description to be saved with a recording.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
andygrunt wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by 'running status'.

it's where the toppy EPG/Now&Next doesn't move on as programmes finish and time gos by, the running status is a way of checking what programme is currently "on"

Bastille had a problem realising - so now/next still showed say the previous programme sometimes

andygrunt
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 401 Location: Bristol, UK
Thanks for the replies. Can't say i've noticed a problem myself so I guess I'll wait a bit and see how other get on with it (and a few TAPs are updated).

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
The list of changes won't tempt me to try this version any time soon.

There doesn't seem to have been much work on the firmware since Bastille. Fair enough I guess, as it works reasonably well, and thankfully the TAP authors more than make up for its shortcomings.

So have Topfield moved on to developing new boxes or are they just busy implementing the Playback spec?
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
They're certainly still working on the 5000 series, but we've had a few delays due to various staff changes and other issues over there, which I've alluded to in the past.

They're looking at PlayBack, though I don't know what stage things are at there, since I don't deal directly with Korea, only through Turbosat. And obviously, work had to be done to integrate the new tuners as well, which presumably slowed down other things.

This is, as I noted, a test version; there aren't startling changes, but it's here for people who want to try and provide useful feedback, which can help with later firmwares.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Has RE & DE been updated to work with this test firmware?
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9321 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Links are:

www.andyscomp.f9.co.uk/taps/DescriptionExtender.tap
&
www.andyscomp.f9.co.uk/taps/RemoteExtenderMHEG.tap

Thanks go to Andy for updating them for .39,

CW

danb77
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Nov 2005 Posts: 763
By the way, it's St Cyril's Day!

Cyril Firmware anyone?
LOL

TAPs: SDS V1.3d; Extend v1.7; TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.69; MyStuff 6.0; Tap Launcher 3.10; Font Manager 1.0d; TAP Commander 1.34; WSSkiller V2.12d; Power Manager v1.2; UK Subtitle 1.8; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub v0.6; MyInfo B4.0; EPG2MEI v0.93e;
Sig generated by MyInfo TAP on 21/9/09