Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Wireless Toppy Setup Guide for the Asus WL500g

Page 26 of 28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
birdman
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1758 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
Wolfie wrote:
Cheers birdman - I've yet to pick up an Asus, but we've just got upgraded laptops via work and I don't have the privs to install Topfield applications any more
I hived off 20GB to install Linux on mine - so I can get actual work done.
Last summer I was sitting in the pub waiting to collect my daughter and used Linux to connect to work. 1min to connect, 10mins of heavy work, problem fixed. So I thought I'd let people know the problem was fixed, which entailed rebooting into Windows, as we had a mail system that required it. That started at 20:20. It took 15 mins to get logged in (disk active on the laptop for all of the time). Then I started the mail client. And at 20:55 I had to text my daughter to say I would be late, as the client was still starting up. It managed it at 20:58 and I sent the message in ~40s. So 40mins of Windows time for 40s of work. And these are called "Productivity Suites". Should be reported to the ASA.
and also wrote:
Would I be right in thinking that changing the IP address to fit in with my network would be an easy thing? I use a Netgear DG834PN adsl modem/router and I'm happy messing about with IP stuff on there, so I don't think it'll be too much of a challenge unless it involves hours playing with vi!
I did all of the configuring of mine using the Web GUI.

Last edited by birdman on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
Wolfie
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 252
I've just ordered an Asus, and in preparation I've been reading the guide.
However, on page 15 it refers to http://www.macsat.com/macsat/content/view/22/29/
...this link doesn't take you to the tutorial; instead it links to a page with many tutorials on it - http://www.macsat.com/oldguides/.
Could one of you brainy folk take a peek, please, and point me to the one I need?

Many thanks

Mick

EDIT: Took a look and it seems as if it's the section entitled IPKG PACKAGE SYSTEM TUTORIAL, although confirmation of that would be spiffing!

birdman
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1758 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
Wolfie wrote:
EDIT: Took a look and it seems as if it's the section entitled IPKG PACKAGE SYSTEM TUTORIAL
Looks about right (although I bought mine through this forum and it was already fixed up, so I never had to got through this).
I'm not sure which distribution this ends up using, but you might like to look at this message once done to check that the packages you are using are from a still-managed set.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
Wolfie
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. I've been reading some docs on here and I don't think my router supports WDS, so as I have ethernet over power with a socket behind my TV, I'm going to have a read of the wired OpenWRT guide I found in the online documentation here, although I may still use the original (1.5) doc and just use network ports rather than wireless, if that's going to work.
I must admit I feel a rather loud "oh dear!" coming on, probably about an hour after I unpack the ASUS!

Mick

EDIT: been reading through this rather big thread and it would seem I can use the ASUS in Station Mode so it doesn't matter that my Netgear doesn't support WDS, so I'll carry on with the original doc.

Wolfie
Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Got my ASUS earlier this week - my wife's going out with friends tomorrow, so I'll have the whole day to attempt this, although there may be a cry (or three!) for help if things go awry!

Wish me luck!

Mick

narrowgauge
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Sep 2005 Posts: 154 Location: Leicester
Wolfie wrote:
Took a look and it seems as if it's the section entitled IPKG PACKAGE SYSTEM TUTORIAL, although confirmation of that would be spiffing!

Yes, I've just configured a WL500W using it. The direct link is at:
http://www.macsat.com/ipkg.php.

(For the benefit of future searchers, this is the Macsat tutorial new location.)

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Mar 2008 Posts: 911
Having managed to get hold of a Asus WL-500gP (v1), I am trying to configure it to connect to my SECOND 5810, the first is successfully connected via my trusty SLUG.

I don't know if what I'm trying to do is possible.

I do not need to connect via WiFi as an Ethernet connection is readily available. I have successfully "upgraded" the firmware to Oleg's 1.9.2.7-10.

Following the tutorial posted here, it says at the top of page 15 "Adding a USB key: partition, format, mount on boot. This is covered by macsat guide at http://www.macsat.com/macsat/content/view/22/29/ "

The problem is I don't seem to be able to access that domain.

So I am a bit stumped

Also, as mentioned earlier, I want to connect the Asus to my existing network via cable. Do I set the Asus to be an Access Point?

Currently I have the Asus connected via one of it's LAN ports to a LAN port on my existing D-Link router. I can Telnet into the Asus and I can PING from a PuTTy session out from the Asus to the Internet, so connectivity on that level is OK.

I'm sure I will have a lot of questions later. I am reading up as much as I can in an effort to help myself. But when sites referred to don't seem available, it makes life hard for an idiot like me!

narrowgauge
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Wallace wrote:
Following the tutorial posted here, it says at the top of page 15 "Adding a USB key: partition, format, mount on boot. This is covered by macsat guide at http://www.macsat.com/macsat/content/view/22/29/ "
The problem is I don't seem to be able to access that domain.

So I am a bit stumped

It is now to be found at http://www.macsat.com/ipkg.php as I said in the message immediate before yours Smile .

Quote:
Also, as mentioned earlier, I want to connect the Asus to my existing network via cable. Do I set the Asus to be an Access Point?

If you are using the ethernet connection it shouldn't make any difference how the wireless is configured but you still need the USB key to communicate to the Toppy.

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Yes I read that! (please give me some credit!)

As I said, I could not access the macat domain!

www.macsat.com .....

just returns "Firefox can't find the server at www.macsat.com"

I also know I need the USB, thats what I want to read the tuturial for, to tell me how to format/mount it etc.

Very Happy Very Happy

aramil
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2006 Posts: 649 Location: Worcester, UK ; TX:Malvern Central
Code:
 Sorry! We could not find www.macsat.com

It may be unavailable or may not exist

Confirmed.

Wallace
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
aramil wrote:
Code:
 Sorry! We could not find www.macsat.com

It may be unavailable or may not exist

Confirmed.

Thanks AGAIN aramil...

aramil to the rescue.......

who need Thunderbirds?

narrowgauge
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Wallace wrote:
Yes I read that! (please give me some credit!)

As I said, I could not access the macat domain!

www.macsat.com .....

Sorry. It doesn't work for me either. You'll have to see if/when it comes back on again.

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Oct 2007 Posts: 1066 Location: Sweden
In Dec 2009 I made a local copy of the Macsat site just to safeguard against this kind of outage. So I have all the files and stuff needed to create a local copy of the site.
It totals 1.67 Mb in 327 files and 12 folders.
Don't know how to get it to you though. I have a website attached to my ISP account but it is a measly 10 Mbytes (why do they keep these pathetic size limitations the same for a whole decade???).
Anyway that site is full so I cannot duplicate macsat there.
I could email a zip archive given your email address, though.

(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
mstombs
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 935
You get an idea - without images of what was there...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://macsat.com/ipkg.php

The waybackmachine at
http://web.archive.org
also seems down right now
underquark
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1783
Bob_Swede wrote:
I have a website attached to my ISP account but it is a measly 10 Mbytes (why do they keep these pathetic size limitations the same for a whole decade???).

Would Google's storage suit your needs?

Code:
Free storage

Free storage space is specific to each product. Picasa Web Albums offers 1 GB of storage for photos and videos only. Gmail provides 7+ GB (and counting) which is reserved just for Gmail messages. Docs gives you 1 GB for your uploaded files (documents created in Google Docs and converted files don't count towards your storage, but do have some size limitations). Free storage from one product cannot be used by or transferred to another product.
All photos posted to both Google Buzz and Blogger are included in the 1 GB of free storage allotted to Picasa Web Albums.
Paid Storage

When you run out of free storage for any product, you can purchase additional storage that is shared between products. This shared storage can be used for Picasa Web Albums uploads (Google Buzz and Blogger as well), Gmail messages, Docs uploads or a mix of all three - it will be used by any product that's over its free storage quota on a first-come, first-served basis. Choose from the following storage plans:

* 20 GB - $5/yr
    * 80 GB - $20/yr
    * 200 GB - $50/yr
    * 400 GB - $100/yr
    * 1 TB - $256/yr
    * 2 TB - $512/yr
    * 4 TB - $1024/yr
    * 8 TB - $2048/yr
    * 16 TB - $4096/yr

A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.