Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Wireless Toppy Setup Guide for the Asus WL500g

Page 1 of 28
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
penthes
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Dec 2006 Posts: 447 Location: East London
Wireless Toppy Setup Guide for the Asus WL-500g

This guide is a combination of Jackofall's original guide for the WL-500g Deluxe, my guide for the WL-500g Premium and ChunkyWizard's guide for the WL-500g Premium.

You can download it from here (version 1.5, released 10 November 2008).

The previous version (1.4), written for an earlier version of Oleg's firmware (1.9.2.7-7f) is still available here

The guide was written for the WL-500g Premium, but most of the contents are also applicable to the WL-500g Deluxe.

Some people have had problems getting Oleg's firmware to work on the Asus WL-500g Premium V2 (though others have had no problems), DD-WRT is an alternative that seems to work, check out this thread for more info.

What's the guide about?

The guide tells you how to set up an Asus WL-500g so that you will be able to access your Toppy from a wireless network connection, and

• Download recordings (.rec files) to your PC
  • Access files on the Asus using Windows file sharing
  • Automate downloading of the Radio Times EPG using rt2mei
  • Get secure remote internet access to your Toppy
  • Send emails from the Asus, for instance to send you log files

Questions, suggestions, errors and omissions

If the instructions in the guide don't work for you, if you can't get things working, if you have suggestions for changes or other things to include in the guide then we would like to know.

Please first check you have the latest version, then check following post for the list of planned changes to go into the next version of the guide, and also check to see if your issue has been covered elsewhere in this thread.

Otherwise please add a post to this thread, and we will do our best to sort things out.

Change History

Version 1.5 (10 Noveember 2008): changes from version 1.4

The guide has been updated to use the latest version of Oleg's custom firmware, version 1.9.2.7-10. Note that not all versions of the Asus WL-500g are supported by this firmware, but the WL-500g Premium (including v2) is. Check the firmware release notes and use the previous version 1.9.2.7-9 if your model is not supported, the guide should be fine for this version of firmware also.

The most significant change from the perspective of the guide is that the DNS server address can now be specified in the web interface, so it's no longer necessary to configure this with scripts. See Oleg's release notes for details of other changes.

The guide also incorporates additions, changes and corrections based on user's forum posts as follows:

1. nano adds in extra line breaks if you copy/paste in lines over 40 characters, added notes on using the --nowrap option to get around this.
  2. Script files created using Windows text editors may not work correctly due to incorrect line break characters, added notes on using a suitable text editor and changing line break characters to be Linux-compatible
  3. Added instructions on how to back up the contents of your USB key
  4. Added instructions on how to receive an automated email report of Toppy disk space usage.
  5. Added a note on the problem some people have experienced with ftp giving errors (from ftpd-topfield) based on the post here.
  6. The rt2mei cron entries result in an ever-growing log file. Changed this so that only the latest run is captured, with a note on how to change this to capture all runs
  7. Added notes on dealing with local network firewalls which may give issues when trying to access the Asus remotely using ssh
  8. Added a reference to the MyStuff manual for information on setting wake-up timers

Version 1.4 (15 January 2007): changes from version 1.3

1. Add notes on automatic BST/GMT changeover on the Asus (from vroomfondle's posts)
  2. p26, add a note that you must start cron or reboot before typing crontab -e
  3. When some of the telnet and file listing text is pasted into a telnet session, the "-" character incorrectly comes out as "." -- all text to be reviewed and changed (chunkywizard)
  4. pp26, 27: crontab -e uses vi by default. To use nano instead type (see vroomfondle's post here for a permanent solution to this):
    Code:

export VISUAL=nano
    crontab -e

5. p25, you need to make /opt/etc/init.d/S10cron executable before it will work:
    Code:

chmod +x /opt/etc/init.d/S10cron

6. p25, cron: add a note that if cron has been installed already using ipkg, the instructions won't work, use ipkg remove cron to remove it (and note that this will remove any existing scheduled jobs, so they will need recreating).
  7. p24, S97Samba, the -n parameter for nmbd is the NetBIOS name of the Asus, ie the name that will appear when you browse the network using Windows. For consistency it's probably best to use your Asus host name.
  8. The vi text editor is installed as part of Oleg's firmware. For more details on using it see here or here. For information on the nano text editor see here.
  9. Testing the rt2mei automation (p27) -- you can test the automation by using different values in the echo command to create the crontab entry. Replace 5 by the number of minutes past the hour, and 7 by the hour (24 hour format). You can see the current date and time by typing date. Leave at least 5 minutes from the current time to allow time for boot-up and for the Asus to set its time from the internet. And remember to reissue the echo command when you are done with the correct time values.
  10. Add a note that telnet is not enabled by default before flashing the firmware. It has to be turned on in the web interface.

Version 1.3 (12 January 2007): changes from forum posts
If you'd been following our forum posts on this subject or had been following the draft versions of the guide, the following things are different in this version of the guide.

1. the post-boot file includes at the beginning a test to see if the USB key is visible, and if not, to load some additional modules
  2. the post-boot file now includes logging (to /tmp/var/log/post-boot) to help find any errors
  3. samba log file names have changed
  4. rt2mei now uses the built-in cron, rather than installing it using ipkg. The cron configuration is different.
  5. rt2mei is now invoked from a caller script which creates the necessary temp directory, there is no longer a need for an init.d script to do this. cron configuration has changed to call the new script.

Last edited by penthes on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:15 am; edited 6 times in total

Transmitter:Crystal Palace
penthes
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
Planned changes for the next version (1.6)

1. Add how-to for installing MySQL
  2. Add how-to for dealing with more than one drive being connected to the Asus. Currently in this scenario it's not possible to ensure the USB stick (rather than, for example, an additional hard drive connected via a USB hub) gets mounted under /opt. See here for some options for dealing with this.

(to be continued!)

Last edited by penthes on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:28 am; edited 23 times in total

chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9321 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
BTW, one thing I have found. Be careful when you cut and paste out of the Arcobat file. Some of the lines change '-' to '.' which means things don't work!

HTH

CW

penthes
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
BTW, one thing I have found. Be careful when you cut and paste out of the Arcobat file. Some of the lines change '-' to '.' which means things don't work!

Added to list of changes for next version.

mrfloppy
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
guys, brilliant work on the guide. I have just taken delivery of one of these routers and know didly squat about linux and telnet and things. I have just started working through Cw's guide and got to the point of telnetting the router, I have not updated firmware yet, when i try and connect it comes back saying that it cant connect on port 23. I have also tried Putty with the same result. Is it because I have yet to do the firmware or more than likely coz I am a noob.

Also before I update the firmware a few questions,
what functionality is lost by doing it
without my usb stick in would it basically just act as normal
should there be any problems reflashing it back to the old firmare.

apologies if I have posted in the wrong thread.
penthes
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
mrfloppy wrote:
I have just started working through Cw's guide and got to the point of telnetting the router, I have not updated firmware yet, when i try and connect it comes back saying that it cant connect on port 23. I have also tried Putty with the same result. Is it because I have yet to do the firmware or more than likely coz I am a noob.

There should be no reason why you can't connect on port 23 before you have updated the firmware.

Check if you can actually connect to the Asus at all with ping, in a command prompt window (and the web interface with a browser). If you can't then it's possibly a problem with the IP address on your PC or on the Asus. By the way are you trying a wired or wireless connection at this point?
mrfloppy wrote:

Also before I update the firmware a few questions,
what functionality is lost by doing it
without my usb stick in would it basically just act as normal
should there be any problems reflashing it back to the old firmare.

The full info on Oleg's firmware is here and here.

There is a comment "WL500g Premium support (MirrorBit Flash support, nvram validation, 32mb enabled) !!! The firmware is totally different from the stock one: no DM, different FTP server and Samba! Do not flash if in doubt - you would miss some features !!!"

To be honest, I'm not sure what feature you would miss, certainly I've not missed any.

Without your USB stick I believe you would still be able to plug external USB storage into it, and access that with Samba (SMB/Windows file sharing) and FTP.

One thing that I think is missing is the built-in bittorrent client, but it is possible to install one of these with the custom firmware.

And no, there shouldn't be any problems flashing back to the original firmware. Make sure you've downloaded a copy of the original firmware and have read up on how to do this, both from the web interface and using recovery mode.
mrfloppy wrote:
apologies if I have posted in the wrong thread.

Quite the right thread, let us know how you get on.

mrfloppy
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
penthes wrote:
mrfloppy wrote:
I have just started working through Cw's guide and got to the point of telnetting the router, I have not updated firmware yet, when i try and connect it comes back saying that it cant connect on port 23. I have also tried Putty with the same result. Is it because I have yet to do the firmware or more than likely coz I am a noob.

There should be no reason why you can't connect on port 23 before you have updated the firmware.

Check if you can actually connect to the Asus at all with ping, in a command prompt window (and the web interface with a browser). If you can't then it's possibly a problem with the IP address on your PC or on the Asus. By the way are you trying a wired or wireless connection at this point?

thanks for the responses. I am able to ping the asus both when wired and wireless, and can also get into the configuration screen. i am running on XP SP2, and have also tried on another PC. I have switched off the firewalls, excluded ports and all sorts with no joy.
jumbo
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
In the GUI setup go to (something like) System Setup->Services (this is what appears for the 500gx) and make sure Enable Telnet is selected. Save & Reboot. See if that helps.
ubuntu
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Dec 2005 Posts: 349 Location: High Wycombe Tx: Crystal Palace
Whenever I attempt to set up the scheduled cron job to run the rt2mei process daily I get the following error:

Code:
[admin@ASUS /]$ echo "5 7 * * * /opt/usr/local/rt2mei/do-rt2mei.sh >>/tmp/var/log/rt2mei 2>&1" | crontab -
You (admin) are not allowed to use this program (crontab)
See crontab(1) for more information
[admin@ASUS /]$ export VISUAL=nano
[admin@ASUS /]$ crontab -e
[admin@ASUS /]$

http://www.adminschoice.com/docs/crontab.htm lists 1. Crontab Restrictions where only the root user can use crontab if files /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow, and /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny are not present.

Code:
ASUS login: admin
Password:
[admin@ASUS root]$ crontab -e
[admin@ASUS root]$

Help!

john
penthes
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
ubuntu wrote:
Whenever I attempt to set up the scheduled cron job to run the rt2mei process daily I get the following error:

Code:
[admin@ASUS /]$ echo "5 7 * * * /opt/usr/local/rt2mei/do-rt2mei.sh >>/tmp/var/log/rt2mei 2>&1" | crontab -
[admin@ASUS /]$ export VISUAL=nano
[admin@ASUS /]$ crontab -e
[admin@ASUS /]$

Sounds like you are using the ipkg-installed version of cron. The guide has been changed to use the cron that comes built-in to the firmware, for which the configuration is slightly different.

To use the built-in cron you will first need to uninstall the ipkg version with
Code:

ipkg remove cron

Then set up the new version as per "Set up cron for scheduling tasks" on page 25.

Also review all of the rt2mei setup -- in the new version of the guide we now use a calling script to invoke rt2mei, rather than invoking it directly. This calling script creates the temporary directory, so if you have an /opt/etc/init.d script for performing rt2mei initialisation, you should remove it.

ubuntu
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Dec 2005 Posts: 349 Location: High Wycombe Tx: Crystal Palace
I have searched for the vi editor and come-up with various finds for different operating systems. I downloaded one for unix which has a load of different files, but I havn't a clue as to how to install.

Could someone point me in the right direction for where to download and give me a idea how to install for use with my Asus. Confused

Thanks, john
chunkywizard
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9321 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
just use nano which is part of ipkg, it will do the same job...

CW

penthes
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Or if you do want to use vi, it is already installed. Just type vi

ubuntu
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
@Penthes, ChunkyWizard and Jackofall

Many thanks for the latest version of 'Wireless Toppy Setup Guide for the Asus WL-500g'.

I am very pleased to say I now have my Asus WL-500gP with Oleg's firmware, running IPKG, ftpd-topfield, Puppy, PHP, Cron, rt2mei and Samba, connecting automatically to the Radio Times website, downloading the latest 14 day TV listings, and transferring same to my Toppy. Hurrah!

Your guide is certainly well thought-out and presented. I would just say maybe a few more detailed explainations for those of us less well versed in Linux, Vi, etc. e.g:

1. Mention Vi is already installed, (as part of IPKG?), reassure the intreped aventurer that when they see all those

Code:
~
~
~
~
~
~

that they are now in Vi. This may sound stupid but it would have helped me and I am sure will prevent lots of hair-pulling and requests for support.

2. So that people do not have to wait until 07:15 the following day, prompt them to set a time just a few minutes away to test the automation by substituting the '5 7' in 'echo "5 7 * * * /' with a near time, reminding them to reset afterwards.

3. Provide a pointer to a Vi Editor Help page, e.g. http://www.cs.rit.edu/~cslab/vi.html

4. Quickly find a solution to the problem chunkywizard highlighted re line changes '-' to '.' when you cut and paste from the Arcobat file which means things don't work!

I will work through the guide and come-back with any other suggestions which you are free to ignore Laughing but I must just say here - well done!

john Very Happy
penthes
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, your comments are much appreciated, glad you found the guide useful Very Happy

I've added your comments to the list of things to include in the next release. About item 4 (- pasting as .), I agree this is important, we should get a new version of the guide out with this corrected in the next day or two.