Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  NotWebBrowser

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ajhfi
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps we could use this forum page to distribute information of new TAP NotWebBrowser.

-Tested hardware
-Found issues and workarounds
-Users could distribute new pages
-Links to related material
-Text improvements
-New message and help languages
-Discussion on features
-Feature improvements

I would like to have your help, please.

Browse texts and open easily related material saved to Topfield hard drive. In addition to text the material can contain pictures, video and sound. Those can be connected together with links. Web links can be used as short cut with your computer.

-Topfield user manuals, TAP guides, readme files...
-Manuals or tips and tricks to other gadgets
-Lists of recordings like CD, DVD, DivX, MP3, tapes...
-Interested hobby pages could be studied during commercials
-Cooking recipes if your Topfield is in kitchen
-Travel locations, your dictionary, phrases as text and audio
-Your home videos, binding it all together pictures, maps, texts
-And so on...

You could easily copy some text you have previously written. Add some links to other texts and pictures if you like. Favorite links can be added with FAV button.

Best regards
ajhfi

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10381 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Hi ajhfi

My instant first thought is that this is a bit of a strange name. Perhaps HTBrowser (HyperText Browswer - which is what it IS, not what it's NOT) or something that doesn't mention the web would be less confusing?

I hope to have a play with it over the weekend.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
jumbo
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
juwlz wrote:
My instant first thought is that this is a bit of a strange name. Perhaps HTBrowser (HyperText Browswer - which is what it IS, not what it's NOT) or something that doesn't mention the web would be less confusing?
I agree with Julie. Just "Browser" (or even a Suomi word) might generate more interest. Screenshots representing what it can do would also be useful, otherwise I'm afraid it'll simply be ignored as one of those useless taps (here at least).
bellissimo
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Yep, screenshots would be good.

I thought about writing a simple browser a long time ago (with the hope of actually browsing the net), but the more I thought about it, the more complicated it got, so I gave up...

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
Sponge34
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Mar 2009 Posts: 33 Location: Guildford
bellissimo wrote:
Yep, screenshots would be good.

I thought about writing a simple browser a long time ago (with the hope of actually browsing the net), but the more I thought about it, the more complicated it got, so I gave up...

Shouldn't be that complicated - for a text only browser at least - but you would prtobably need a helper app on a PC or a slug.

Use the TAP to write a file into a folder containing the request, get the helper app (perhaps a modiufied version of this) to look for that file via FTP then wegt that url and write the data back to the toppy via, for example, aldarin's FTP server. Handshaking would be interesting.

Then all you have to do is parse the HTML on the toppy using the NotWebBrowser...

I suppose it depends on how you define complicated... Don't ask me to write it though!

S.
bellissimo
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Sorry but... You write it then Smile

I define complicated as 'something that takes up all my spare time and I get in trouble with the gf'

Does NotWebBrowser actually understand HTML or do the pages have to be in a proprietary format?

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
juwlz
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10381 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Doesn't look like it's HTML - more Wiki-ish? Here's a sample page from the zip file which is NotWebBrowser's own Help page
Code:
NotWebBrowser info - Help

[Home page]@"/ProgramFiles/English/Home page.txt"
[Deutsch, Svenska, Suomeksi]@"#Translation"

English

The main purpose of this NotWebBrowser.tap is to let users read texts and to open easily related material saved to Topfield hard drive. In addition to text the material can contain pictures, video and sound. Those can be connected together with links in the text.

These pages are meant to give user some idea how to use this TAP (Topfield Application Program). User will also learn how to create own pages to be used in Topfield. There will be also some guidance to constructing the material and how to write better hypertext pages with links.

@[("CONTENTS")]
Contents

[Installing NotWebBrowser TAP to Topfield]@"Installing NotWebBrowser TAP to Topfield.txt"

Browse

Reading and following links:

[Starting NotWebBrowser and browsing the text]@"Starting NotWebBrowser and browsing the text.txt#START"
[Using link to open other text pages]@"Using link to open other text pages.txt#LINK"
[Using favorites to create needed links]@"Using favorites to create needed links.txt#FAV"
[Pictures linked in text page]@"Pictures linked in text page.txt#IMG"

Advanced features:

[Picture linked back to text]@"Picture linked back to text.txt#IMG_BACK"
[Link to Internet]@"Link to Internet.txt#INTERNET"
[Home video link example]@"Home video link example.url"
[Audio example as MP3]@"/MP3/NotWebBrowser Help/Audio example as MP3.txt"

Create

Make your own pages:

[Simple way to make your own text pages]@"NotWebBrowser info - Help Create.txt#SIMPLE"
[Adding links]@"NotWebBrowser info - Help Create.txt#ADDLINK"

MP3 and video files:

[How to make your own MP3 and link]@"NotWebBrowser info - Help Create.txt#MP3"
[Home video to Topfield .rec file]@"NotWebBrowser info - Help Create.txt#VIDEO"
[Teletexts as plain text file to NotWebBrowser]@"NotWebBrowser info - Help Create.txt#TELETEXT"

PDF and web pages:

[Publishing in web and for NotWebBrowser]@"NotWebBrowser info - Help Create.txt#PUB"
[Web pages to NotWebBrowser as text]@"NotWebBrowser info - Help Create.txt#PERL"
[PDF texts and pictures to NotWebBrowser]@"NotWebBrowser info - Help Create.txt#PDF"
[Complex web page or PDF as picture]@"NotWebBrowser info - Help Create.txt#PRT_SCR"

Additional

[Trouble shooting and FAQ]@"Trouble shooting and FAQ.txt#FAQ"

[Known limitations and workarounds]@"Known limitations and workarounds.txt#ISSUES"
[Links to web]@"http://notwebbrowser.suntuubi.com/?cat=10"

This English part might also contain some misspellings. Please do correct.

NotWebBrowser is free program
[GPL2]@"/ProgramFiles/NotWebBrowser/gpl.txt"
[Read me]@"/ProgramFiles/NotWebBrowser/NotWebBrowserReadme.txt"

@[("Translation")]
Other languages / Andere Sprachen / Andra språk / Muilla kielillä

[Inhalt]@"/ProgramFiles/Deutsch/NotWebBrowser Hilfe/NotWebBrowser info - Hilfe.txt#CONTENTS"
[Innehåll]@"/ProgramFiles/Svenska/NotWebBrowser Hjälp/NotWebBrowser info - Hjälp.txt#CONTENTS"
[Sisältö]@"/ProgramFiles/Suomeksi/NotWebBrowser Ohjeita/NotWebBrowser info - Ohjeita.txt#CONTENTS"

Julie

mike.hinson
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
I tried to download it but the 7Mb file said it would take 50mins,

/\/\

juwlz
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
There are a number of example GIFs and MP3s in there, which are rather larger than necessary to demonstrate what's possible - probably a bit overkill, but it didn't take anything like that long to download for me.

Julie

ajhfi
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
Hi

Name
I see what you are saying. Finding the name was not easy. Hypertext might be close to right technical term. Also pictures, video and audio are supported. This name was not reserved. That might be the reason why.

HTML
There is also a prototype reading HTML. See bin folder. Original plan was to implement that in TAP. Today it can be used with computer. Help text contains some notes of it.

Web
I hope someone with web browser insights would get interested in making a plug-in or add-on. Perhaps modify some open source web browser to create plain text files with hyperlinks like that. Web links can be used. More in help text.

TAP
When web link is selected NotWebBrowser creates an .url file. That can be copied to computer and used to open web page. Contains also file name. Copy the text to Topfield using that name. Continue browsing with NotWebBrowser. Today you can assist it. See also help text.

ZIP
I guess I could make next zip file without large files. But then you would need to download more to see those. I could try to reduce the size also. Web site provider replaced the server last week.

Thank you all for your comment.

BR
ajhfi

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
"HTTPy Broswer"

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
juwlz
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
ajhfi wrote:
ZIP
I guess I could make next zip file without large files. But then you would need to download more to see those. I could try to reduce the size also. Web site provider replaced the server last week.
I had trouble copying the files (by ftp) to my Toppy. The trouble started with the remote control GIF files. Perhaps reducing the size of the GIFs and MP3s would be beneficial without losing the value of the examples?

Also, the GIFs are repeated in all the different languages. I think it might be better to split the installation into two zip files per installation: a basic TAP / ini files zip, plus separate language-specific zipped data files? That way
a) there is less to download,
b) it's easier for users to only copy to their Toppy the files that they need.
c) it's easier for users to see what is required, and what is just example data.
I spent quite a long time looking through all the files in the zip to try to decide what I actually needed to copy over the Toppy to try it out, and

ini files
Having looked at the ini files, it appears that they have 3 startup modes enabled. Can these all work at once, or do two of them have to be commented out? I think it should be possible to install the TAP and associated files in such a way that it will work without any prior editing.

Julie

P.S. Because I couldn't copy all the files (and had to stop and do something else before I could resolve the problem) I haven't got this running yet.

jumbo
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
What I want to know is what this tap could (theoretically or potentially) do better, faster or more conveniently than existing taps or software on my laptop/desktop PC or MyStuff - The Last Frontier Wink (assuming it won't bugger up the Toppy at the same time of course)?
juwlz
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
Documentation.

ajhfi
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Hi

ZIP
It seems it was a good decision not to include my home video example .rec file.

Install
My web site contains few lines of text of installing. Help text has also more. It can also be read with Notepad. Most of the files are very small compared to .rec files. Folder ?Topfield hard disk? contains familiar folder names. Copy the all/wanted subfolders to your Topfield with the same folder names. See also the small help picture of Altair.

ProgramFiles: You need to have NotWebBrowser folder. I guess some of you might not want to take other languages than English. Take English always.
MP3: If you do not want to play audio example you can forget that also. Topfield MP3 playback works at least with SCART connection.
DataFiles: Contains text with instructions how to make short recording and rename it. Also example REC link can be found there.

INI
You could start it with default .ini file without any changes. Default language is English. If you do not have FAV button replace it with Record button by renaming _UK.ini. You can do that also later.

Editing .ini file: When same setting has different values the last setting is active. Default startMode is history. When there is no history data it will show readme file. So you will see readme at the first time.

Why
Yes. This started from my movie collection. I could not remember if I have this movie already in my external HDD. I do not have my PC running all the time. So it took some time to get the file list or did not check. Now I have lists of all my collections. Now I want to see also info?

My old TV has on screen help pages. I found that useful. Even nowadays I find myself checking some details. Most of my gadgets have some features I need couple of times in a year. I need tips and tricks. Now I can find them easily.

Many TAPs have readme file. Just copy it to your Topfield to check something easily. There is also some other folders, use them if you like or make more.

By the way how you would use it?

Please take a look of my web site NotWebBrowser

Thank you all for your comment.

BR
ajhfi

Last edited by ajhfi on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total