Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Channel Manager - V5.1 now Available

Page 23 of 24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
I suppose an alternative approach might be to incorporate some of the key ChannelManager concepts in FastScanGUI? Because of the way it works, it already "removes" duplicates in Transmitter mode (by limiting each mux to a single transmitter). So that would appear to leave just automatic channel deletion.

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3433 Location: Maldon Essex
R2-D2 wrote:
I suppose an alternative approach might be to incorporate some of the key ChannelManager concepts in FastScanGUI? Because of the way it works, it already "removes" duplicates in Transmitter mode (by limiting each mux to a single transmitter). So that would appear to leave just automatic channel deletion.

CM also regenerates timers and native favourites after the reset & rescan. I was alo considering merging it with an extended Favourites Manager to give a one-stop update of everything channel orientated, including other TAP's ini files. However if you want to do an extended FastScanGui to incorporate these, I will be relieved rather than offended!

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Backup and restore timers (just for LCN systems, I assume) sounds like a very good idea indeed, but I'm not sure I would find the enthusiasm to add favourites management... Smile

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
Backup and restore timers (just for LCN systems, I assume) sounds like a very good idea indeed, but I'm not sure I would find the enthusiasm to add favourites management... Smile

The snag is that a rescan can lead to the need to update so many ini and favourites files etc (MS favourites, natives favourites, eit2mei ini, TF5000 Display ini, your EPG2MEI ini, rt2mei.cfg spring to mind) that the rescan can be almost the trivial part of the exercise.

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
The snag is that a rescan can lead to the need to update so many ini and favourites files etc (MS favourites, natives favourites, eit2mei ini, TF5000 Display ini, your EPG2MEI ini, rt2mei.cfg spring to mind) that the rescan can be almost the trivial part of the exercise.
I don't think it's sensible to even attempt to cover other TAPs' configuration files -- and certainly not external programs! I think producing a log of the changes that may require attention elsewhere, and may have been used to automate timer updates, would be the safest thing to do, especially for complex changes or ones that aren't going to obvious before you start. These sorts of changes don't happen very often (although they seem to be quite frequent at present!), so most of the time you'll be wanting to do a scan either because your channel list has been trashed or there are new channels or removed ones (with no LCN movements).

If FastScanGUI were to incorporate more help in this area I'd envisage an initial prompt to backup (or restore) timers, then the current scan bit, then a channel selection/tidy up, then a prompt to restore timers. The timers would be stored in a way that enabled detection of channel movement by various means, and the tidying up could be largely automated by .ini settings. The .log file would contain the changes that were noticed for the channels that have been kept. Does that sound reasonable?

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
I don't think it's sensible to even attempt to cover other TAPs' configuration files -- and certainly not external programs!

Entirely up to you of course, but that is exactly what Favourites Manager does for MS Favourites files, TF5000Display chn, and rt2mei cfg files, and it has been recently suggested I ought to add your EPG2MEI ini file as well. In practice these sorts of files go through a rapid change period as the TAP is developed, and then settle down.

Perhaps I am the odd one out, but the only times I have rescanned in the last year or so has been for channel re-organisations and new channels, so to me rescanning and updating these sorts of files are intimatrely related. I don't ever remember losing channels except when mucking about with TAPs that interfere with the Flash memory.

However there is a simple way out - you include in your TAP the functionality you see fit, and I can simply run it from within a new Favourites Manager if I see the need for additional post-scan functionality.

EMJB

If you want produce

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
I can simply run it from within a new Favourites Manager if I see the need for additional post-scan functionality.
And/or maybe I could make the changes a machine-readable format? NEW/DEL/CHG with LCN(s) and other channel details?

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10281 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
EMJB wrote:
R2-D2 wrote:
I don't think it's sensible to even attempt to cover other TAPs' configuration files -- and certainly not external programs!
Entirely up to you of course, but that is exactly what Favourites Manager does for MS Favourites files, TF5000Display chn, and rt2mei cfg files, and it has been recently suggested I ought to add your EPG2MEI ini file as well. In practice these sorts of files go through a rapid change period as the TAP is developed, and then settle down.

Perhaps I am the odd one out, but the only times I have rescanned in the last year or so has been for channel re-organisations and new channels, so to me rescanning and updating these sorts of files are intimatrely related.
I'm in agreement here. That's the whole reason that I use FM rather than manually updating various different favourites files on the PC and copying them back to the Toppy. However, using output from a rescan would streamline the process even further, so machine readable logged output from a FastScanGUI scan used as the input for FM would be great.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
I can see how Favourites Manager could update rt2mei.cfg, EPG2MEI.ini or Extend.ini with the correct information about part-time channels, so that'll always need manual intervention, won't it?

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10281 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
If the times (or existence) of part time channels change, then yes, manual intervention will be required.

If it's just LCNs changing, then as long as FavMgr (or FM2 or whatever) knows the old LCN and the new LCN, there's no reason why they can't be updated too.

Maybe it won't prevent any manual intervention, but the more it can be minimised, the better.

Playing devil's advocate, what's the worst that can happen if the part-time channel info is wrong - or rather, as is more likely, missing? (i.e. part-time channels are treated as full time.)

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
EMJB
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
EMJB wrote:
I can simply run it from within a new Favourites Manager if I see the need for additional post-scan functionality.
And/or maybe I could make the changes a machine-readable format? NEW/DEL/CHG with LCN(s) and other channel details?

That would certainly be a good way, but I would be happy to note the line-up before calling your TAP and compare it with the new one after if you don't want to do this (and particularly don't want to bother with the problems of subtle name changes).

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
I can see how Favourites Manager could update rt2mei.cfg, EPG2MEI.ini or Extend.ini with the correct information about part-time channels, so that'll always need manual intervention, won't it?

I hope to be able to release a partial solution (at least as far as the user is concerned) to this problem in the next week or two. In addition, at least you only need do it once, not once for each ini.

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
at least you only need do it once, not once for each ini.
Ah, I see: Favourites Manager will take control over the .ini files (the channel-related stuff, at least), so the funky ways people could write the channel restrictions, etc., won't matter, since FM will actually be writing them.

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
Ah, I see: Favourites Manager will take control over the .ini files (the channel-related stuff, at least), so the funky ways people could write the channel restrictions, etc., won't matter, since FM will actually be writing them.

but only for those who care to use it, (and when/if I have updated it for your inis), so you will still have to cope with peoples funky ways (as well as mine, of course).

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
you will still have to cope with peoples funky ways
Smile I imagine you'll just need to strip out the complicated (channel-related) stuff that people may have in their .ini if FM takes control over it. For example, the MaxLCN bit in eit2mei.ini, and the whole of the [Exclude] section in EPG2MEI.ini.

In my .ini parser, I've already got # and ; for starting a comment line. I could add some more or change those, if it would make it easier for FM to separate any .ini file it changes into separate parts, e.g. have a separator line like this:
Code:
## Below this line is updated by FavouritesManager -- DO NOT CHANGE ##