Page 1 of 24
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
EMJB
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3461 Location: Maldon Essex
I am trying to develop this TAP with the following major options:

? Running a complete scan without user intervention

? Automatically deleting pay channels, for those without TUTV subscriptions

? Automatically deleting channels by LCN or Service ID as listed in the associated ?.ini? file.

? Selecting channels to be retained by (partial) name or LCN No in the associated ?.ini? file.

? Intelligent duplicate LCN handing so as to retain the one with the strongest signal, but with the option to renumber the strongest of any of the remainder which has a different regional identity.

? Renaming of channels identified by Service Number (for renaming regional variants)

? Reviewing & overriding the results of the automatic deletion logic.

It should then be possible to use XStart to run the TAP automatically out of hours to pick up any channel changes.

Unfortunately I can only get signals from one region, and in any case this is a potentially dangerous TAP to family viewing. I am therefore looking for a few volunteers willing to do some testing with an alpha version (especially someone who can receive two regional variants of BBC1 and/or ITV1). Would they please pm me with an email address so I can send them a version to try, hopefully towards the end of the week.

Edit: For more information on the latest released version, please see here, a download from here.

Last edited by EMJB on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
janilxx
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
Some Finnish users would love to have this TAP. So please make this TAP to work on everywhere.

It would also be nice to be able to use Signal Monitor here also. But it has those predefined UK channels...
EMJB
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote
janilxx wrote:
Some Finnish users would love to have this TAP. So please make this TAP to work on everywhere.

Which model do you have in Finland? Do you use LCNs? - if not it would be quite a re-structuring exercise, and I have yet to get it working properly in the UK! Working on anything without LCNs will be months away, if ever.

janilxx wrote:
It would also be nice to be able to use Signal Monitor here also. But it has those predefined UK channels...
You can override the pre-defined channels and the Mux names with the ini file, so that should not be a problem. How many Muxes do you have? - if you have more than 1 but less than 4 the logic used to force a tuner change will probably fail. Suggest you give it a try & see what happens (don't think it can do any permanent harm but it might crash!).
janilxx
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
janilxx wrote:

Which model do you have in Finland? Do you use LCNs? - if not it would be quite a re-structuring exercise, and I have yet to get it working properly in the UK! Working on anything without LCNs will be months away, if ever.

Most of us have TF5100 (T or C). Then we have masterpiece models. And also same box with different names (Procaster 5101 and 5102 for T and C). And some users have TF5000.

LCNs are in use Wink

janilxx wrote:
You can override the pre-defined channels and the Mux names with the ini file, so that should not be a problem. How many Muxes do you have? - if you have more than 1 but less than 4 the logic used to force a tuner change will probably fail. Suggest you give it a try & see what happens (don't think it can do any permanent harm but it might crash!).

In terrestrial we have currently 3 muxes. More to come when analogue will be shutted down after next summer.
kjhskj75
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Mar 2006 Posts: 67
Sorry if you already knew this, but remember that if you add/delete channels then the timer list has to be modified to use the new channel numbers. The toppy uses its own internal numbers for this, not LCNs
EMJB
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
janilxx wrote:
In terrestrial we have currently 3 muxes. More to come when analogue will be shutted down after next summer.

Give Signal Monitor a try and see what happens!

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
kjhskj75 wrote:
Sorry if you already knew this, but remember that if you add/delete channels then the timer list has to be modified to use the new channel numbers. The toppy uses its own internal numbers for this, not LCNs

Yes, was aware and have included necessary logic, but thanks for warning me. Also intend to match names to allow for LCN changes in a later version.

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I think I have addressed the issues raised in feedback on Alpha 1, so have decided to let Alpha 2 loose for anyone who might like to play over the Christmas holidays. See http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/ChMan/ChannelManager.htm for more details and for a download link.

In its basic mode, together with the ".ini" delete commands, it certainly seems to handle my duplicate & unwanted channels with no problems, and can be left to scan & delete with no user intervention if required. Unfortunately I cannot get true regional duplicates, so the ability to retain those is not well proven.

Feedback please.

EMJB
danb77
Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Nov 2005 Posts: 763
EMJB wrote:

Yes, was aware and have included necessary logic, but thanks for warning me. Also intend to match names to allow for LCN changes in a later version.

EMJB,
Nice work! Just to confirm. Does this mean that with yoru TAP rescanning will *not* corrupt timers if the internal channel numbers change?

This is excellent news. I can't wait for the next new channel to launch so I can put your TAP through it's paces....

TAPs: SDS V1.3d; Extend v1.7; TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.69; MyStuff 6.0; Tap Launcher 3.10; Font Manager 1.0d; TAP Commander 1.34; WSSkiller V2.12d; Power Manager v1.2; UK Subtitle 1.8; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub v0.6; MyInfo B4.0; EPG2MEI v0.93e;
Sig generated by MyInfo TAP on 21/9/09
EMJB
Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
danb77 wrote:
Just to confirm. Does this mean that with yoru TAP rescanning will *not* corrupt timers if the internal channel numbers change?

Yes, that it what it is meant to do, and what it does when I try it. It actually matches Service ID's rather than LCN's or names in the expectation that these are least likely to change (and also to make sure all is well if you have regional variants of similar strength in which case it would be pot luck which was renumbered & which left alone). By allowing you to automate the whole process, re-scanning should be painless if you do not use the Toppy's favourites feature, and therefore something you can afford to do regularly (or even automatically using X Start??).

However any test results welcome.

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
janilxx wrote:

According to my reading of Firebird's http://www.topfield.cc/files/Firebird/TF_Internal_Info.pdf, only the TF5800 stores the LCN data. If this is correct the concepts of duplicate LCNs and deleting by LCN is not going to work. If you want me to pursue this further could you please run version Alpha 2 using all the defaults at the initial menu (including the "No scan" option) and let me know whether the LCN numbers match the channels names when it is checking signal strengths. A screenshot of the subsequent review page would be ideal.

If it is not picking up the correct LCNs, I would need to do something based on Service Numbers I suppose.

EMJB
janilxx
Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
janilxx wrote:

According to my reading of Firebird's http://www.topfield.cc/files/Firebird/TF_Internal_Info.pdf, only the TF5800 stores the LCN data.

I am not sure what you mean with this.

LCNs are used in Finland and our TF5100 models use also LCNs.
EMJB
Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
janilxx wrote:

I am not sure what you mean with this.

LCNs are used in Finland and our TF5100 models use also LCNs.

If the LCNs are accessible via the API in the same way as the TF5800, then my TAP should work as far as the review screen if you do not use the facility to do a scan. Please try my TAP as I suggested in my previous post and let me know what happens - otherwise there is nothing I can do to help you.

EMJB
ldjagger
Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 31 Aug 2006 Posts: 66
Have you considered an option to update MyStuff favourite files if any of the LCN's have moved to another number?

Would also be nice if it could somehow update the Mystuff_Extended_Info INI file LCN's so that the RT data still continues to map to correct channels, but this would require some sort of interaction with a connected PC to update its ini.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
ldjagger wrote:
Have you considered an option to update MyStuff favourite files if any of the LCN's have moved to another number?

Yes, but moves are actually quite rare so in might be difficult to test. Also there is a risk of trivial name changes (e.g. BBC 1 to/from BBC ONE) confusing the issue. I would like to be sure that this TAP is in widespread use before embarking on further developments - as yet there has been no feedback from users.

ldjagger wrote:
Would also be nice if it could somehow update the Mystuff_Extended_Info INI file LCN's so that the RT data still continues to map to correct channels, but this would require some sort of interaction with a connected PC to update its ini.

Yes, that would be getting very complicated, and logically it would need to be done for rt2mei as well which would have the same problems.

EMJB