Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Converting files *TO* .rec format

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
alexism
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Jul 2006 Posts: 37
I have downloaded files I want to convert to .rec so I can watch them on my Topfield rather than on the little computer screen. Is this do-able?

kenwilco
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Apr 2006 Posts: 31 Location: Teesside
alexism wrote:
I have downloaded files I want to convert to .rec so I can watch them on my Topfield rather than on the little computer screen. Is this do-able?

Yes it is.
Download MPEG Streamclip from here:
http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/MPEG_Streamclip_1.0.1.zip

Open your video file in MPEG Streamclip.
From the File menu goto 'Convert to TS with' > 'REC header ...'

Note that the REC header will be empty, no EPG information, but you can even edit that before you copy your .REC file to the Toppy using this little program:
http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/TFRecEdit.zip

Ken.

TAPs: TAP Commander 1.34; TF5000 Display v1.53; MHEG Control B2; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; dog_dimmerv0.01k; (MyInfo B5.6); EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; (EPG2MEI v0.96); Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyStuff 6.4;
Sig generated by TopManager/PcControl on 02/11/12
Shannock9
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Aug 2005 Posts: 1060 Location: London, UK
I note the OP says the files were downloaded from the internet. Are they mpg2 or mpg4 (etc)? Perhaps they are 325x320 or whatever half D1 comes to? Would the Toppy be able to play such files?

Duncan
alexism
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:20 am Reply with quote
Ken, you're a star!

HOWEVER Wink I tried it and sadly the 'Convert to TS' option is greyed out on the files I tried. I'll give it another play tonight after work and see if I can figure out why.

GSpot tells me that it's AVI format with the XVID codec, and using MPEG-1 audio. Resolution is 638 x 336.

I'll try a variety of files tonight and see if I can get the 'Convert to TS' option with any of them!

Cheers

nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:16 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9520 Location: London
I jumped through a number of hoops and managed to get a video clip from my mobile phone on to the Toppy. I think I had to use QuickTime Pro as well, and at one stage converted the file to DV video, which StreamClip was then happy to re-encode as MPEG.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
Even if it did work the processing time will be prohibitive unless you have a super computer. I don't know how much you value your time but I found it much easier to get cheapo dvd player that can play divx, xvid etc and even Toppy .rec files which have been quickly converted to standard mpeg2.

kenwilco
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Apr 2006 Posts: 31 Location: Teesside
alexism wrote:
Ken, you're a star!

HOWEVER Wink I tried it and sadly the 'Convert to TS' option is greyed out on the files I tried. I'll give it another play tonight after work and see if I can figure out why.

GSpot tells me that it's AVI format with the XVID codec, and using MPEG-1 audio. Resolution is 638 x 336.

I'll try a variety of files tonight and see if I can get the 'Convert to TS' option with any of them!

Cheers

Ah, yes, I should have considered your starting format.

You need to convert your XVid files into (preferably) MPEG2 (DVD type) format, although Streamclip will accept a few different input formats .
There are many tools that can do this conversion but most are commercial software. One freeware option is TMPGENC, look here:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=TMPGEnc

However, the process is far from easy and, as has already been mentioned, it will gobble up time. Even with a fast PC re-encoding video is likely to be, at best, real-time (ie. takes 1 hour to encode 1 hour of video), but usually slower.
It really may not be worth the time it takes to do.

Ken

TAPs: TAP Commander 1.34; TF5000 Display v1.53; MHEG Control B2; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; dog_dimmerv0.01k; (MyInfo B5.6); EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; (EPG2MEI v0.96); Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyStuff 6.4;
Sig generated by TopManager/PcControl on 02/11/12
alexism
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
kenwilco wrote:
However, the process is far from easy and, as has already been mentioned, it will gobble up time. Even with a fast PC re-encoding video is likely to be, at best, real-time (ie. takes 1 hour to encode 1 hour of video), but usually slower.
It really may not be worth the time it takes to do.

Ah well, thanks again Ken. It may be easier for me just to burn them to DVD then rather than try to get them on the Toppy... I'll have a go this weekend to see how painful the whole process is Smile

Cheers

Lostcause
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 Sep 2006 Posts: 37 Location: Blackburn, UK
Hi chaps, I have also been trying several ways to convert avi's to MPEGII but I just tried playing the resultant .rec files to find that there is no audio....Or should I say that the Toppy did not recognise the audio stream.
I have tried MP2, Mp3 but looking at the tech. spec. it says that it plays MPEG1 ! Is this my only option? It's just that I thought it could play mp3's and therefor the same would apply to the video files?

Any thoughts on this one? Confused
sanecyclist
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
Freeview broadcasts actually use MP2. I've transcoded several videos using VLC's mp2v video codec and mp2a audio codec and those work fine (after adding the .rec header with ProjectX). MP3 doesn't work in videos though.
Lostcause
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
OK, cheers, thanks for that, I'll give VLC a go and see what transpires. I wonder why the MP2 didn't work Confused
I used SUPER to do th econversion and th evideo is superb...pity about the sound! It worked fine on the PC!
charley
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Posts: 1563 Location: Belfast
Did you check that the audio wasn't on the second audio channel?
Opt- Sound Track - and try each of the eng instead of AUTO.

Toppy: TF5800PVR250GB &300GB;Firmware: ; Remote: Harmony 655; Tx:Divis; Autostart TAPs: MEISearch 1.35, MyStuff 6, AutoReboot V2.2, epg2mei, Power Manager v2.0, TAP Commander 1.2, TF5000 Display v1.50, MHEG_State; Other:
Lostcause
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
charley wrote:
Did you check that the audio wasn't on the second audio channel?
Opt- Sound Track - and try each of the eng instead of AUTO.

I'll give that a go too, thanks charley
SimonB
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2006 Posts: 137 Location: Swansea: Wenvoe (Cardiff) and Mendip (England) transmitters
In SUPER you should have sampling frequencing at 48000. I notice it sometimes defaults to 44100 on startup. That'll mess things up a bit.

I've had no problems using SUPER. Does amazing conversions, and to convert to .rec I just load the MPEGII file into VideoReDo and save as .rec output. All the files I've copied to the toppy have played perfectly...even rubbishy low bitrate efforts converted from flash movies and wmvs.
sanecyclist
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
One thing I found while experimenting with converting to .rec is that the Toppy seems to misinterpret the aspect ratio information unless the video has one of the standard DVB resolutions, like 720x576, 544x480, or 352x240.

Otherwise I got all kinds of effects, e.g. squashed picture with huge black bars, squashed picture showing only in the upper half of the screen, or a black bar down the right side.

When the aspect ratio was set to 1:1 though, the Toppy appeared to consistenly scale the picture to full screen size. This allows one to avoid scaling the picture and instead just pad it with black bars appropriate for the screen's aspect ratio. But that's a bit ugly and it will display incorrectly on a screen with a different aspect ratio, therefore I think scaling to a DVB standard resolution is preferable.