Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Audio delay when starting playback

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mr-b
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 May 2006 Posts: 643 Location: Warks - Sutton Coldfield tx
I reported this in the General forum first http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5874 and the replies seem to confirm that it is a bug.

When I press play (or play/pause in live pause mode), although video starts immediately, audio does not for about a second. This is annoying since it means that you can miss dialogue.

I'm using no TAPs and 5.12.88 firmware.
DB1
Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
I see this too - although it can be lots of seconds, maybe into double figures, before the sound kicks in. I don't recall it happening much, if at all, before 88.

TF5800, F/W: 5.13.65AbBfBqC0CbCeCkCwCyDEcEeEfErEsEvEzFFsGmHHeIKtNfOtPPcPePsRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStT2TdTfTpUUuXXpXwXl TAPs: TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.72; Power Manager v2.2; MyInfo B5.6; DescriptionExtender 2.23; Remote Extender 1.6; Archivev1.0a; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; EPGnavigator v5.1c; UK Auto Scheduler v0.73.1; Extend v1.7; Power Restore V0.7.8
Tx: CP
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/4/13
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9568 Location: London
It can be quite channel dependent - for example, More 4 and Film 4 exhibit this more so than others.

Nigel.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Aug 2005 Posts: 1060 Location: London, UK
Just be grateful it's in sync when it does come. On AVForums some gear is panned for not keeping the video and audio sync'ed. So one might imagine the wait is to ensure it's locked up.

Separately I note that on some channels the I-frames (perhaps used as reliable sync points) are a whole second apart.

Duncan
mossman
Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2006 Posts: 582 Location: South of Birmingham, TX: Sutton Coldfield
I would also like to see some progress in fixing this one - very annoying to lose a few seconds of audio every time I jump forward or back.
mr-b
Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 May 2006 Posts: 643 Location: Warks - Sutton Coldfield tx
Shannock9 wrote:
Just be grateful it's in sync when it does come. On AVForums some gear is panned for not keeping the video and audio sync'ed. So one might imagine the wait is to ensure it's locked up.

Heh - I think that's setting the bar pretty low. I'd have returned my Toppy pretty sharpish if it had exhibited any sync issues! Wink

If the audio delay is "necessary" for any reason then from a usability point of view, it would be much better that *both* audio and video output were delayed simultaneously, so at least there wouldn't be any loss of programme. However other machines can resume video and audio playback instantaneously so it's reasonable to expect the same of the Toppy. (Plus some have alluded that this might be a regression introduced in recent firmwares).

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; Macro V1.12; QuickJump 1.72; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; TF5000 Display v1.53; TAP Commander 1.34; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5; MHEG Control B2.1; Font Manager 1.0d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 25/9/13
Andy K
Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3513
I have seen this two.

1) small sound delay when playback starts
2) Sometimes no sound at all. If you jump about it will kick in.

Autostart TAPs: Jags 3, Bookmark 2uk, Quickjump 1.71, Power Manager 1.1, Description Extender 1.5/2.1, MEI2Archive 3.8l6, Tap Launcher 3.5a, Tap Commander, AccurateBMExtend 0.3, RemoteExt 1.5, TunerRecAR.2
Launched during EPG scan: Crid, SeriesLink 0.35
TF5800 Version 5.13.65 PHT2UFXp5Xw3RpPcE2Bf2BqRsRh3Pf1Ec2ErEfHe1 Ra3Cf2Ct
Samsung 400Gb+Fan
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9568 Location: London
This is marked as item 87 in the database, and only on 5.12.88 (Bastille Day). If there are other firmwares that are definitely affected, please let me know.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I am getting about one file in ten failing or with audio faults after the July 2006 Update. Longer files more often affected. Any suggestions from anyone? Otherwise no faults. No TAPS or other addons.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3620 Location: Maldon Essex
foxcombe wrote:
I am getting about one file in ten failing or with audio faults after the July 2006 Update. Longer files more often affected. Any suggestions from anyone? Otherwise no faults. No TAPS or other addons.

Never seen that - might be worth checking the set-up menu options - IIRC one can cause that sort of problem.
Kevali
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2005 Posts: 43
I've noriced this with recordings and not really paid much attention to it as I always have a 3 min added at the start of the recording.

The more anoying one is the now and next not being right.

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Feb 2006 Posts: 244 Location: NW London
I've also noticed the "missing" audio when coming out of pause mode.

But.

I think it winds back and repeats about half a second anyway (or is that just my imagination?)

K

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Feb 2006 Posts: 142 Location: London
nwhitfield wrote:
This is marked as item 87 in the database, and only on 5.12.88 (Bastille Day). If there are other firmwares that are definitely affected, please let me know.

I am running Dec 08 2005 with no taps, and my box came with this.

I notice several seconds loss of audio on start of play from any point and occasionally no audio until I stop and play, or just rewind a little and then sound kicks in immediately.
christop
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 46 Location: London GB
I have the same problem, sometimes running 5-6 seconds before the sound kicks in. But if i rewind, it is usually there. My bigges gripe though, is sound missing from whole recordings. It has happend twice this week. Once on C4 and once on BBC2. I had this problem some time ago, but after a recent re-scan for the new C5 channels, it has started again Confused
panaman
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 May 2006 Posts: 412 Location: Southampton
christop wrote:
Once on C4 and once on BBC2. I had this problem some time ago, but after a recent re-scan for the new C5 channels, it has started again Confused

I was over my parents today and my Mum showed me a recording she did on BBC2 of a Fred Dibnah progamme and that didn't have any sound at all, even the lead up to it was silent, so your problem may not be Toppy related Smile