Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Serious bug - file corruption (increase in free space)

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
gomezz
Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3963 Location: Buckingham
Following my similar problem today as posted below

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8236

The one significant difference with my experience is that I was running nowhere neary empty. I still had 60GB free, although it had dipped as low as 49GB yesterday evening as I recorded, watched and deleted stuff. This is as low as it has ever been though.

One thing different I remember doing last night was I sleepily tried to turn it off with the MyStuff archive on display. This gave me the MS warning dialogue then turned the Toppy off as it timed out (expected behaviour but not something I have done before since I started using MS a couple of weeks ago).

I had a check through my recordings and a fair few (10/20%) either had become truncated or would not play at all. Although some of them may have been truncated when first recorded as they were late night films which could well have been running very late.

bygjohn
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 May 2006 Posts: 216 Location: Crewe (TX: Winter Hill)
I've also had this happen twice, with different sets of TAPs, and with remaining capacity much higher than 5Gb (from memory, the 60+ Gb sounds in the right ball park). This is on a 250Gb disc.

Never have managed to find out what caused it.

(edited to correct typo)

Last edited by bygjohn on Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

matt
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
I've changed the topic title to reflect it's not only at low space conditions.

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
healeyfels
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
matt wrote:
I've changed the topic title to reflect it's not only at low space conditions.

I've had this file corruption happen to me recently, I've got a 160gb drive and it was down to about 5gb when the problem happened . Does anyone know it there has been a firmware update to remedy the problem?
simonc
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5628 Location: Cheltenham
There hasn't.
graemethescot
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Hi all

Just to log that this is still a problem, this happened to me last night. Suddenly noticed that free disk space increase from 17 % to 40 %..checked the files, and around 20 % of all the files in the archieve had been truncated.

The file still reports the right length in the Toppy archieve and also on altair, however the file size is too small, could be as small as 1 Mbyte The files play OK, but are truncated and stop. Looks like something has corrupted the file tables in the filing system.

Forced a reset and the Toppy reported all files and archieves OK, I assume unless there is some mechanism to recover the file tables that these recordings are now lost

Graemethescot
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
graemethescot wrote:
I assume unless there is some mechanism to recover the file tables that these recordings are now lost
You could remove the disk and use FireBird's TopfHDRW to try to salvage bits, but the real corruption could have occurred ages ago...

A 'legitimate' reason for a VF&F to truncate files is when the FAT had previously been corrupted and allowed one or more previously allocated clusters to be reused. This would cause two files to share a common tail (and one tail would be lost). You'd not notice this until either you played the broken file or a VF&F had uncovered it and repaired one of the two files to be shorter. Although if this is one possible scenario then I'd also expect that the repair would be random as to which tail was lost and which was retained. So you may get a surprise when playing a "correct" file, with it having the end of a truncated file in it.

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Is there still no solution to this problem?

The problem of file / recordings being truncated and only playing a fraction of the programme has been flagged up for quite some time. This was happen a lot to me some time ago but appeared to stop ? it?s now returned. The only difference I can think of between then and now is that in the past the disk was at around 95% full and is now at only 45% full.

After several years surely there is a solution to this?

Topfield TF5800
Firmware 5.14.08
Tap MyStuff (6.1)
kermit
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
Samwise wrote:
The problem of file / recordings being truncated and only playing a fraction of the programme has been flagged up for quite some time. This was happen a lot to me some time ago but appeared to stop ? it?s now returned. The only difference I can think of between then and now is that in the past the disk was at around 95% full and is now at only 45% full.

Is it occurring on recordings from all channels or only a specific few?

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
Samwise
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
kermit wrote:
Samwise wrote:

Is it occurring on recordings from all channels or only a specific few?

Certainly happens on more than one channel though I can?t say ?all? channels. I?ve noticed it on BBC1,2 &4, ITV1, ITV3, Channel 4 and Channel 5
ccs
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2399
Samwise wrote:
After several years surely there is a solution to this?

Topfield TF5800
Firmware 5.14.08
Tap MyStuff (6.1)

If you're really running 5.14.08 then you need to get the MyStuff recommended firmware first.

ccsx
minsted
Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 Jun 2005 Posts: 70
Just noticed this thread - I recently had this happen to me on a 5 yr old 5800 (see Corrupted File thread on the General Forum) - all started when I had a corupted file when the disk was full or very nearly full.

I have subsequently replaced the caps, reformatted the Hard Drive, done factory reset and reloaded MyStuff.

Since then the box has continued to be unstable - with some unexplained signal breakup / some recordings cutting off after 1 -2 mins and sometimes crashing when doing more than one thing.

I'm guessing this likely to be caused by a problem with the hard drive - (not sure about the signal) - if I take out the hard drive and plug it in my PC, what's the best way of checking it for errors ?
jumbo
Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
minsted wrote:
if I take out the hard drive and plug it in my PC, what's the best way of checking it for errors ?
You don't have to go that far - yet. First run the HDDInfo TAP and have a look at the SMART parameters that it displays. If the drive does not support SMART then extract the drive and attach it to your PC (preferrably via IDE to motherboard) and run the manufacturers diagnostic utility for the definitive tests. These are free, downloadable from their website and often require a bootable CD or USB to be made first.
wgtwalker
Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Samwise wrote:
Is there still no solution to this problem?

I have found that if you happen to DELETE a file while the Toppy is busy recording another file, then that other file can get truncated. So the answer is never to delete a file while the Toppy is recording - always move the unwanted file to a "waste" folder and then, when you are sure the Toppy is not recording, THEN you can delete the file from the "waste" folder. NB if the Toppy is configured to allow rewind of live broadcasts, then whenever you change channels the live broadcast it has captured up to now is deleted (and if that happens while it's recording another file at the same time, then that too might cause the other file to be truncated). So best to configure the Toppy not to do rewind of live broadcasts.
andyfras
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3393
I often delete a file while a recording is in progress, and I've never had any truncated recordings as a consequence. It may be dependent on the make and model of disk used.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ