Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Serious bug - file corruption (increase in free space)

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
leenoble
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Dec 2005 Posts: 287 Location: Cheshire, UK
I've just finished checking all the ones I care about and they're all fine. Going to reload TAPs now...

EPGrt2mei 1.1 & rtsearcher plugin by me for MS description searching.
MikeyP
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
matt wrote:
So are you saying you've got some/all of your recordings back by disabling TAPs? Confused

matt

easy enough for you to try ? Very Happy
leenoble
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Dec 2005 Posts: 287 Location: Cheshire, UK
OK, I moved the TAPs back into the Auto Start folder and I started up manually Remote Extender, Description Extender, MyStuff 4.5 and probably a couple of other minor ones, but perhaps significantly NOT JAGs.

I opened one of the previously affected files from the MS archive and it played back fine, tried another fine again. So I rebooted to load all the TAPs.

Tried launching a file from MS archive - fine. Tried one of the previously 'corrupt' ones and...BOOM reboot.

Upon relaunch I stopped JAGs manually and went into the Toppy archive and tried the file - played fine.

Tried it in MyStuff archive fine.

Turned off Toppy to repeat the procedure and got the long single dot for about 3 seconds which I've never seen before.

Reboot.
TAPs loading: UK Timers 1.2, mcgCYRResume 1.0, Remote extender 0.5, Description Extender 1.3, MyStuff 4.5

Launch file from Toppy archive - fine.
Launch file from MS archive - fine.

Move JAGs back to AS folder.
Launch JAGs

Launch file from Toppy Archive.... BOOM CRASH!!!

Looks like I have some issue with JAGs. It does not affect all files though. It causes a crash when recordings are viewed from either Toppy archive OR MyStuff. Obviously the bug described here may be a different bug entirely but at least I have found a way to reproduce mine, guess I should post in JAGs thread instead. Incidentally my Toppy did run down to less than 1% space just a couple of weeks ago and following my investigations I don't appear to actually have lost anything.

EPGrt2mei 1.1 & rtsearcher plugin by me for MS description searching.
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 677
Does anyone know what the Toppy messes up when it runs low on space? I went away for half-term with a CT set for Torchwood, and came back to find the box filled with repeats of the same. It had actually filled up just an hour before I got home Mad

Anyway, I deleted a load of duplicates and then started to get problems - missed recordings, waking up and not recording, failure to wakeup for EPG scans, blank recordings with invalid text in the description. Tried turning off at the wall, etc, but nothing seemed to work. I removed TAPs from AutoStart, till I found that MyStuff was causing my problems. I deleted the MEI and MST folders (and would have deleted MyStuff.Dat if I'd thought about it) and all appears to be fine (touching wood firmly).

I then found this thread, and would assume this was the cause of my problem, as my setup hasn't changed for several months (see sig).

Are there any problems lurking on the HDD waiting for a sector to be used again, or is it just a firmware problem writing to disk when nearly full without physically damaging anything?

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
matt
Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
I'd love to know, but I've not heard anything about this from Nigel or anybody.

It's a hard one to test. I'm betting it gets confused when there's no space left and writes over an important area of the hard drive.

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
matt wrote:

It's a hard one to test. I'm betting it gets confused when there's no space left and writes over an important area of the hard drive.

matt

Ive said this before but i constantly run mine at full, the toppy pop up and says you only have 1 hour recording time remaining. Touch wood Wink ive never had any problems.

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
mlavende
Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 340
Ugly--Kid--Joe wrote:
matt wrote:

matt

Ive said this before but i constantly run mine at full, the toppy pop up and says you only have 1 hour recording time remaining. Touch wood Wink ive never had any problems.

Ugly Kid Joe,

I notice you are using formware 5.12.99. Can we all use that ? I wonder if that makes a difference ?

-Mat

Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if its avaiable, it was a Beta test version but is being shipped with the new tuner module toppy as this is the fist firmware that supports them.

Popcorn Hour:
mlavende
Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 340
I notice you don't have a patched firmware either. I guess that could have an effect too. I love my toppy, but these problems do get very frustrating.

-Mat

Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
mlavende wrote:
I notice you don't have a patched firmware either. I guess that could have an effect too. I love my toppy, but these problems do get very frustrating.

-Mat

It is patched with the power restore patch, but not the harddrive patch as i have the original segate HD.
Will update my sig Smile

Popcorn Hour:
matt
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Ugly--Kid--Joe wrote:

What do you do after seeing the popup? What happens if the pop up appears when I'm not watching TV?

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
The pop up comes up to warn you, I just press ok and it dissapears, never left it to see if it times out (I will next time).
Then I delete a few things. I have completely filled the hard drive before and it just finished half way through a recording.
No reboot or wierdness.

Popcorn Hour:
matt
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote
What about the recording after it filled and stopped? Assuming some some space wasn't freed up by deleting some recordings.

As I say, much to think about here and I'd appreciate an official "what happens" response.

Dale
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Apr 2006 Posts: 38
Not an official response but my own experience.

One time it has happened to me I was on holiday and had a lot of timers set and forgot to clear out before I left. My configuration at the time was Bastille Power Manager patched firmware and current versions of listed Taps in my signature for early Oct 06. The recording that filled it up looked to have closed normally and no other later timers were recorded.

The recording itself was fine, just stopped about 10min early, but perfectly watchable up to that point. No apparent corruption to it or any other files.

Don't know if that is helpful.
Dale

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
matt wrote:
What about the recording after it filled and stopped? Assuming some some space wasn't freed up by deleting some recordings.

As I say, much to think about here and I'd appreciate an official "what happens" response.

see my problem last night http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6877&highlight=

The recording simply terminated (and was perfectly watchable) when there was "zero" space left (barring the timeslip buffer which it must always hold on to to enough disc space for IMO)

I have running on empty (and/or near to) for several months now , making space for the next stuff by releasing some archive stuff I wanted to look at but have never had the time (quantum leap I used to watch when i was younger)

I get no weirdness at all and the toppy usually tells me I have x amount of time left (can be as precise as 2 hours or 1hour10mins remaining)
But when I took it all at once with this lord of the rings film, it didn't warn me at all like it usually does - just stopped when it had filled it's boots.

I do watch some of my old stuff and have had no pb problems of that stuff either

I don't think the YEs/no is a YEs/no , simply an info pane which times out on it's own

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy