Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Serious bug - file corruption (increase in free space)

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
matt
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
I should be livid now, but for some reason I'm not. Perhaps it's because I've seen enough angry people today?

Anyway, my Toppy has just deleted almost 50GB of data from my drive. Not all in one chunk, but as parts of a scatter shot of recordings throughout the drive. Some old, some recorded this week.

This has happened to me once before, but I wrote it off as a fluke. I like to live "on the edge" and keep my toppy with about 5-10GB free. Sometimes, like tonight, I'll record a bit too much and things will get even more full. This, in the two times it has happened to me has resulted in previously good recordings becoming corrupt/truncated.

I'm pretty sure the Toppy doesn't know what to do when it gets really full. I don't think it's been stressed tested at the upper limit. I'm sure it goes crazy when disk space runs low and it's recording and buffering into the same free space.

Can Nigel or anybody else confirm what happens or is supposed to happen at this extreme?

Until then, I would advise people never to let the Toppy get to less than 5GB free space, though I think the real problem area is around 1-2GB free space.

This is a serious bug. Please reply below if you have any pertinent information or if you have suffered from this bug yourself.

I am running .25

Thanks,
matt

Other reports of this problem...

CONFIRMED
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5346

UNCONFIRMED
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5284
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4938

Last edited by matt on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:00 pm; edited 4 times in total

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
DB1
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 716 Location: Orpington
Dose not one of the TAPs have a treshold warning? If anyone is running whatever it is, it would be a good idea to turn it on.

TF5800, F/W: 5.13.65AbBfBqC0CbCeCkCwCyDEcEeEfErEsEvEzFFsGmHHeIKtNfOtPPcPePsRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStT2TdTfTpUUuXXpXwXl TAPs: TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.72; Power Manager v2.2; MyInfo B5.6; DescriptionExtender 2.23; Remote Extender 1.6; Archivev1.0a; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; EPGnavigator v5.1c; UK Auto Scheduler v0.73.1; Extend v1.7; Power Restore V0.7.8
Tx: CP
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/4/13
matt
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
DB1 wrote:
Dose not one of the TAPs have a treshold warning? If anyone is running whatever it is, it would be a good idea to turn it on.

Thanks for the benefit of hindsight, but really I'm looking to have this bug analysed and fixed rather than worked around.

A threshold warning would have appeared when I was away from the unit/out of the house and therefore not been of much use.

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
DB1
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 716 Location: Orpington
Well of course it ought to be fixed. But in the meantime we don't want to lose any *more* do we? I was thinking that we know the dodgy limit is 5Mb and if you normally have N hours of recordings pending *between* actually viewing anything then one would set it to 5 + N/your-average-mbyte-per-hour.

Simply having chase play on whilst viewing ought to trigger it if one is getting dangerously low.

TF5800, F/W: 5.13.65AbBfBqC0CbCeCkCwCyDEcEeEfErEsEvEzFFsGmHHeIKtNfOtPPcPePsRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStT2TdTfTpUUuXXpXwXl TAPs: TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.72; Power Manager v2.2; MyInfo B5.6; DescriptionExtender 2.23; Remote Extender 1.6; Archivev1.0a; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; EPGnavigator v5.1c; UK Auto Scheduler v0.73.1; Extend v1.7; Power Restore V0.7.8
Tx: CP
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/4/13
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9519 Location: London
ImproBox has a coloured icon and you can set the threshold and which it turns from green to amber and from amber to red.

Nigel

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for more suggestions of how to not record too much.

In the meantime, how can we go about testing this bug?

Also, the real kick in the nuts is that I have to go through my entire library checking each recording for completeness. The bug, it seems, is completely random in what it nukes or partially nukes and there's no sure fire way of knowing which recordings have been "hit".

matt

nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll flag this up with Turbosat early in the week - though obviously it's not going to get into the Bastille Day update.

We'll have to think of a way we can try and test for this one.

Nigel.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
I'll flag this up with Turbosat early in the week

Thank you.

nwhitfield wrote:
though obviously it's not going to get into the Bastille Day update.

Of course not, that would be a crazy aim.

nwhitfield wrote:
We'll have to think of a way we can try and test for this one.

If my suspicions are correct, "all" we'll have to do is fill up a hard drive to around 5-7GB free and then record a two-three hour slot (2-3GB) whilst time-slip is activated. That should trigger the bug.

If we fill up the hard drive with hour recordings, it will be easier to spot what's happening. We could go one further and let each hour recording be a dummy file filed with the a single, repeated value. So we can spot where each file is on the disc even after the error has occurred.

Of course, this all requires some extra effort.

On the plus side for me, I have 50GB of free space so I'm unlikely to encounter this bug for another 3-6 months of normal use.

matt

leenoble
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Dec 2005 Posts: 276 Location: Cheshire, UK
I've just discovered I must have fallen victim to this bug at some point. I need to know though if there is any way to reliably tell which files are affected without attempting to play them. I have tried 3 files and two of them make the toppy crash and then I have to wait for all the software to reload before trying another one, it'll take me days to check them all at that rate.

EPGrt2mei 1.1 & rtsearcher plugin by me for MS description searching.
matt
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quote
leenoble wrote:
I've just discovered I must have fallen victim to this bug at some point. I need to know though if there is any way to reliably tell which files are affected without attempting to play them. I have tried 3 files and two of them make the toppy crash and then I have to wait for all the software to reload before trying another one, it'll take me days to check them all at that rate.

Sadly not, Lee. I mention this above as the "real kick in the nuts".

I had thought of checking modified dates of files, but I'm not sure how to see these over FTP, if at all possible.

matt

MikeyP
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4816
I have been wandering between 'not enough room to record' message and about 8 or 9GB for a few weeks now.

It does come up with 'you have 1Hr20mins' or 'you have less 2Hours left' or 'you have 30mins left to record' (or whatever it happens to be) warnings as recordings start (if it's below this threshold) so I have been quite close to complete fullness several times.
In fact I have been so full I have had recordings stop and a message come up saying it's 'no more space left.

I can't remember at what empty space level this warning first appeared?

I'm doing my bathroom so I don't get many chances to clear some out by playing (but I am trying)

But, I haven't noticed any missing or truncated recording of the ones I have watched (and deleted)

I use epgnavigator, uk timers and am on latest (for now Laughing ) dec firmware

Last edited by MikeyP on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
My HD is usually 95% full and often get the toppy msg "You have 2 hours recording remaining" but never experienced any of what has happened to you. I can't see why the toppy would do this, you would of thought it would carry on recording untill the HD was full with no problems. I wonder wether the toppy uses the HD as virtual memory-long shot i know!!

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
Info now passed on to Turbosat; it may get to Korea before end of business today; I'm always troubled by the time difference Wink

Nigel.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Dec 2005 Posts: 276 Location: Cheshire, UK
I'm still investigating but something interesting has occurred. First off because of the possibly frequent reboots I created a new folder within Auto Start and moved all my TAPs into that directory to stop them from activating and I rebooted.

I have been through a couple of folders of recordings and found them all to be intact. Then I tried one of the files which I knew crashed the Toppy before - and it has played fine and all appears to be there. The other file which crashed it was fine too.

Provided everything goes well I'm going to reload MyStuff and see if the crash occurs as it did before.

EPGrt2mei 1.1 & rtsearcher plugin by me for MS description searching.
matt
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
So are you saying you've got some/all of your recordings back by disabling TAPs? Confused

matt