Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
niemi23
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys,

After some time digging into the TAP world I came up with this:

http://www.smstimer.tk

(or directly without ads:
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/niemi23/smstimer/smstimer.html)

I'm sure someone has already done this somehow, somewhere, but I couldn't find it. So I had to make one myself. Any feedback/suggestions/bug reports etc. are welcome, if any of you have the time to try this out.

I will try to check this forum regularly, so I guess the easiest way to give comments is to reply to this topic. The Web site shows also an e-mail address I will be using with this TAP.

I had some trouble setting up the Web page on the server I wanted to, so please note that this is only a temporary location. I will let you know when/if the address changes.

Cheers,

- Petri

[Edit: homepage address update, old page expired]

Last edited by niemi23 on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9568 Location: London
Neat idea; we have a server-based solution here, called Toppy Remote Control, which you can read about at www.toppy.org.uk/timers/

For TRC, you just send messages to a special number (60300) starting with 'TOPPY RECORD' but since it's a short number it doesn't work from overseas.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Hi Nigel,

I noticed the Toppy Remote Control a while back, but like you said, it doesn't work from overseas. And the other thing is that I'm not too keen on having my PC on all the time (I understood that TRC connects to Toppy via PC, please correct me if I've got it wrong). A mobile phone consumes far less electricity, too Smile

- Petri
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9568 Location: London
Yep - you need something to work with TRC, either your PC or a Slug/Asus.

I did look at setting it up for overseas use as well, but that would need at least 100 and there didn't seem to be as much interest.

However, if someone in another country wanted to provide an SMS gateway, for example via a mobile connected to their computer, I could easily help them to create the script to deliver messages into the system.

I must dig out my Nokia 22 and see if that works with this, when I have time.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I took a look at the Nokia 22 specs and it seems to be fairly similar (in principle) to Nokia 30. So I gather it should work. With Nokia 30 I had to write a simple TAP to set the PIN code using the serial connection, but there are apparently alternative ways to do this with the 22.

Let me know how it worked out Smile

- Petri
niemi23
Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote
I made a slight update to the SMSTimer and changed it so, that MIDP 1.0 support is now sufficient instead of MIDP 2.0. This should increase the number of compatible "phone A" models. Version 1.0.1 is available for download at

http://www.students.tut.fi/~niemi23/smstimer/smstimer.html

Cheers,

- Petri
niemi23
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
Hi,

Once again a minor update to the SMSTimer. I tried to increase the reliability of the TAP a bit so that it would not erroneously skip/ignore any timer messages and the timers would be set correctly. The new version takes a bit more time checking the messages from "phone B", but this shouldn't matter too much. After all, you're not supposed to be at home watching TV when you run this. Smile

There is also a minor bug fix to the Java application, since it failed to run on some Siemens models (e.g. SX1, which should work now). If you've had problems with the previous versions, you might want to try version 1.0.2:

http://www.students.tut.fi/~niemi23/smstimer/smstimer.html

- Petri
niemi23
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Yet another update to the SMSTimer, version 1.0.3 is now available. Fixed a few silly bugs. Smile

I also found out that it just might be possible to get the TAP talk to Nokia's models as well via the serial port. This will require a little extra work and I don't know when I'll be able to do this. However, if you have an old Nokia phone lying around, don't throw it out just yet! Smile

Cheers,

- Petri
dsw
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Oct 2005 Posts: 164 Location: Glasgow, UK
Brilliant idea!

I've tried the TAP on my Sony Ericsson W810i and it seems to work OK, however I'd like to know if the phone connected to the Toppy needs to connect to the RS232 or the USB port?
niemi23
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Hi dsw,

It needs to be connected to the RS232 port. As I understand it, the USB port won't do, because both Toppy and the mobile phone are "slaves" in regards their roles in USB communication. Futhermore, the USB API in Toppy is a bit more complicated and I haven't even tried how it would work.

If anyone who knows something about Toppy's USB port or USB communications in general thinks I'm talking absolute rubbish here: please feel free to correct me Smile

- Petri
dsw
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
niemi23 wrote:
Hi dsw,

It needs to be connected to the RS232 port. As I understand it, the USB port won't do, because both Toppy and the mobile phone are "slaves" in regards their roles in USB communication. Futhermore, the USB API in Toppy is a bit more complicated and I haven't even tried how it would work.

If anyone who knows something about Toppy's USB port or USB communications in general thinks I'm talking absolute rubbish here: please feel free to correct me Smile

- Petri

OK - thanks. I thought that might be the case. I'll give it a try once I've got a suitable RS232 cable.
niemi23
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick shout that now its official: it really is possible to connect a Nokia device to Toppy. I managed to implement a simple "proof-of-concept" TAP and was able send/receive some data to/from a Nokia 6210.

This is still far away from really working with real SMS messages, but at least this proves that there are no physical reasons why SMSTimer should not work with Nokia devices! Laughing

The newer S60-based phones, however, will still not be supported. That's simply impossible.

- Petri
dsw
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Petri,

A strange problem with the SMSTimer jar on my phone (SE W810i) - the "Phone" field will not take any more than 9 or 10 digits (depending on what the digits are).

This makes it impossible to enter a UK mobile number (12 digits, including the '44')!
niemi23
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
Dsw,

Hmmm...That sounds weird. The text field should accept 14 digits, at least the version 1.0.3 of the application (I don't have my source code here at the moment, can't remember how the older versions work). The Finnish mobile numbers are generally 12 digits as well, including the country code 358.

Furthermore, if you uninstall and then reinstall the Java application, the initial value of that field should be 358501231231 - which is also 12 digits. Could you please do this uninstall/reinstall routine and let me know what the initial value of the field is on your SE W810i? If even the initial value is cut short, then this most likely is a phone-specific problem and I'll need to figure out a way to fix it Smile

- Petri

Edit: I asked a friend of mine to test the application on an SE W800i, which should be fairly similar to your model, only slightly older. He had no problems with it. He said that he has sometimes had problems with Java applications, when he has installed them on the memory card instead of the phone memory. He suggested you to try installing on the phone memory if you haven't done so already.
dsw
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
niemi23 wrote:
Dsw,

Hmmm...That sounds weird. The text field should accept 14 digits, at least the version 1.0.3 of the application (I don't have my source code here at the moment, can't remember how the older versions work). The Finnish mobile numbers are generally 12 digits as well, including the country code 358.

Furthermore, if you uninstall and then reinstall the Java application, the initial value of that field should be 358501231231 - which is also 12 digits. Could you please do this uninstall/reinstall routine and let me know what the initial value of the field is on your SE W810i? If even the initial value is cut short, then this most likely is a phone-specific problem and I'll need to figure out a way to fix it Smile

- Petri

Edit: I asked a friend of mine to test the application on an SE W800i, which should be fairly similar to your model, only slightly older. He had no problems with it. He said that he has sometimes had problems with Java applications, when he has installed them on the memory card instead of the phone memory. He suggested you to try installing on the phone memory if you haven't done so already.

I deleted it then re-installed it. The number that you quote is there when first started, however if I delete that number and enter a new number the new one only allows for 9 or 10 digits. Most strange!

The application is in phone memory.