Page 1 of 1
DVB_Cornwall
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 41
Just discovered that you can toggle between

16:9 Full,
4:3 Centre Extract, and
4:3 Letter Box

by pressing the '0' key on the remote sequentially.
cbmx6
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 36 Location: Bristol (Mendip transmitter)
Good to hear it. Sounds very useful.
Might be worth including as a tip in the "New user" forum?
tonymy01
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Mar 2005 Posts: 243 Location: Sydney, Australia. Toppy 5K owner.
It is in the manual (well, Aussie one was), mind you, it was something I missed in our manual and asked the newbie question way back in Nov03 about "why isn't there a dedicated aspect toggle"....
The reason I didn't spot it in the manual is two fold:
1.  I read all the button descriptions, but of course skipped the description of the number keys, because heck, normally the number keys are number keys Wink
2.  The description of the "0" key was the last one on the page..

I have mentioned a couple of times on one or two threads here about my autoletterbox tap that reduces the number of keypresses of the 0 key by locking out the unnecessary mode depending on your TV type.
Regards

Davec
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I assume that the Toppy does the usual automatic aspect ratio switching (via Scart pin 8?) if you've got a widescreen TV?
(Couldn't find it mentioned anywhere)
davec

TAPS:
Bookmark 2uk 2.3a
Quickjump 1.42
tonymy01
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Mar 2005 Posts: 243 Location: Sydney, Australia. Toppy 5K owner.
Well yes, but only if the broadcaster is sending 16:9 or 4:3 flags.   Here in Australia, they "pillarbox" 4:3 material into a widescreen 16:9 image (as the standard we decided to mandate was 16:9 for all broadcasts), thus, if you have a 4:3 TV, doing "4:3 centre cut" aspect toggle will fill the screen.
And yes, toggling the Toppy aspect options toggles the SCART pin8/WSS in VBI towards the TV
(and finally, one channel snuck into our broadcasts as 4:3 as a "data channel" and the aspect toggle doesn't change anything with this channel, it is sending 4:3 WSS correctly).
Regards

IanP
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
There is an issue with the Toppy adding its own curtains (pillarboxing) to 4:3 broadcasts by the BBC and then sending the picture out as anamorphic widescreen.
tonymy01
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Are you sure?   Our Toppy won't pillarbox anything, only letterbox widescreen (if 4:3 is setup in the menu or you toggle to the 4:3 Letterbox mode with the "0" key).
Most owners with widescreen TVs here that don't work with WSS (given the heritage of many of our TVs here are Japanese based like Sony etc), would die for a mode where the STB turns 4:3 into 16:9!! (Not that we have much 4:3, just one "datacast" channel D4-EXPO, due to the mandated 16:9 for everything rules).
Regards

IanP
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
Yes I'm sure. There is a 4:3 TV movie on BBC1 right now. On my other three digital receivers it is displayed as full screen 4:3 but from the Toppy it is pillarboxed. The OSD of the info box and recording indicator etc stretch beyond the picture area and into the curtains.

There isn't a lot of 4:3 on the BBC these days (some TV movies old sitcoms etc.) so it isn't often observable.
nudel
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:59 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 38 Location: London, England
Quote:
There is an issue with the Toppy adding its own curtains (pillarboxing) to 4:3 broadcasts by the BBC and then sending the picture out as anamorphic widescreen.

I've always assumed that was the BBC stupidly broadcasting a 16:9 anamorphic image that only has a 4:3 image inside of it (i.e. the black at the sides is being broadcast and just wasting horizontal resolution). ITV also used to do it with football except they'd put coloured borders on the sides to make it look nicer (still a waste of horizontal resolution!).

At least, I used to see exactly the same thing sometimes on my old OnDigital box, so I've assumed it isn't the TopField that's being stupid but the broadcasters. Maybe some boxes compensate for this odd way of broadcasting 4:3 material, which is better than nothing, but it's the broadcasters who really need fixing, not the TopField, IMO.