Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Toppy guide - burning DVDs with a Mac

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9567 Location: London
I have to say I could never get anywhere useful with iDVD; not even looked at the latest version.

Sizzle was ok, for a free thing, but now I'm using Toast 7, which can do its stuff without re-encoding; a bit limited in the menu styles, but I can live with that since it's so incredibly easy to make DVDs.

Somewhere in this area, I posted a simple explanation using Toast, which a search should turn up.

Nigel.

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Mar 2006 Posts: 192
Been trying to convert a film off the Toppy into a DVD, but Toast 7 tells me it's too big (from memory now, about half a gigabyte so presumably settings could be changed to reduce the file size). I experimented with audio and video figures in MPEG Streamclip but they made no difference as far as Toast was concerned! What settings would I have to change to make it fit without losing too much quality? Using iMac G5 20in, 2.1MHz.
Thanks in advance.
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9567 Location: London
If you're using Toast 7, then you can just save the MPEG files, create a disc as described in the thread I created here (sorry, you'll have to use search to find it - I've got a lot of catching up to do), and if you don't set the re-encode option to 'Never' then Toast will fit to the disc automatically - but be prepared for a long wait.

Nigel.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Nigel - I'll give that a go!

russellelly
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 126
Any ideas on the file types required for the menu background audio in Sizzle? From Help I know it has to be MP2 with a frequency of 48kHz, but is there a max/min length or bitrate? The program's claiming my files aren't MP2, yet Finder and iTunes report they are. Any suggestions welcome... TIA.
RobP
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Hi, I have followed the guide for writing a DVD from a Toppy recorded programme, and it works fine...for a 1/2 hour prog. However, I tried following exactly the same steps for a 2 1/2 film, with no success.

Has anyone else had this problem. I am using a Mac G4 ibook, OsX 3.9

Thanks in advance
NeilM
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Probably the same reason I couldn't turn A Bridge Too Far into a DVD - file's just too big for the disc. I'm no expert though so am WIDE open to correction Smile

Nigel: Gave up trying to compress it - decided to leave it on the Mac's backup HD and just put it back in the Toppy when we want to watch it. Thanks anyway - and sorry it took me so long to get back.

toodeep
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Apr 2005 Posts: 282
Toast (7.1) cannot author DVDs of Film4 programming (given how its transmitted apparently) but Sizzle continues to work.
marctwo
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 May 2005 Posts: 33
toodeep wrote:
Toast (7.1) cannot author DVDs of Film4 programming (given how its transmitted apparently) but Sizzle continues to work.

Do you have any more information about this? I have burned several DVDs from Film4 and, whilst they play perfectly on my Yamada DivX DVD player, they don't play in anything else.

If I simply use Sizzle will this fix the issue?
toodeep
Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Apr 2005 Posts: 282
For Film4 vs Toast see http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=7209

Toast 7.1.2 'addresses' the problem by forcing reencoding irrespective of the Never Reencode option. Accordingly my preference remains Sizzle.
bgw
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I've been following the very helpful guide to burning a DVD using my MacBook.

Strangely enough Dr. Who and using MpegStreamClip & Sizzle it worked a treat.

However when I tried to do a similar thing for the film Sean of the Dead off from ITV2. I've tried to convert the film to a MPEG and I can't get the audio to playback on Quicktime, but it's fine on MEPG StreamClip and VLC. I don't want to burn it yet,but instead store it as a MPEG and perhaps use iSquint to load it to my iPod.

I was wondering if it is similar to when I use to use ProjectX to de-mux a film it would produce two audio files and sometimes the audio track appeared in one or the other depending on the TV channel.

Is there a way to select this the audio track in MPEGStreamClip or it is something else that I need to live with and use Project X to demux and recombine?

Many thank,

Brian
R2-D2
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
bgw wrote:
I was wondering if it is similar to when I use to use ProjectX to de-mux a film it would produce two audio files and sometimes the audio track appeared in one or the other depending on the TV channel.
That's entirely random, and depends which audio PID it sees first. The second audio is the "Audio Description" track, which is a considerably smaller file than the real one. In ProjectX you can filter to just extract the appropriate video and audio tracks (PIDs), so maybe a similar thing is possible in MPEGStreamClip. The primary audio PID is invariably the smaller of the two audio PIDs (if there are two).
bgw
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote
[/quote]That's entirely random, and depends which audio PID it sees first. The second audio is the "Audio Description" track, which is a considerably smaller file than the real one. In ProjectX you can filter to just extract the appropriate video and audio tracks (PIDs), so maybe a similar thing is possible in MPEGStreamClip. The primary audio PID is invariably the smaller of the two audio PIDs (if there are two).[/quote]

Hi R2-D2,

For now I've ended-up falling back to using Project X for cases where the audio re-muxing fails in MPEGStreamClip. But in the longer term it would be nice to have a audio stream select in MPEGSreamClip.

[OT] Also having problems ripping DVDs(puchased) to my ipod using MPEGStreamClip, then iSquint. For some DVD's the picture just freezes and never recovers. I suspect something in the sync options. But doesn't happen when I convert films recorded on Toppy.

Many thanks,

Brian Question
NeilM
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Not a reply to a particular problem on this thread - just hope posting the solution to my problem here may help other Mac users.

Trying to convert Dave Gorman's America Unchained (More4) to burn to DVD.

Did the usual in MPEG Streamclip: convert to MPEG with MP2 audio, drag and drop into Toast window and try to burn. Failed, showing a Mac OS Error 9011 (may have been -9011). Strangely, the green window was almost full, indicating a file far larger than the 1.7GB of the original.

After one coaster I used Save as Disk Image to experiment with settings. A Google search for Error 9011 turned up this link to the Roxio forum, suggesting "Change PCM to Dolby in Audio". That did not work either.

Eventually, I found that saving the .Rec to "Convert to TS/Convert to TS Vid" and converting the final file from that to MPEG with MP2 audio worked and I now have a DVD which seems to work fine Smile

Please don't ask me WHY it worked - I have no idea, but I'm sure there are techies on here who can explain it Very Happy

HTH
Neil

SonicLife
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1262
Don't know anything about the mac (or it's tools) but have you done more4 recordings in the past? More4 broadcasts in low definition and this is outside the DVD spec, so a lot of tools have problems with it.