Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Toppy guide - burning DVDs with a Mac

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9568 Location: London
This guide, written by myself, explains how Mac users can burn DVDs from programmes recorded on the Toppy.

You don't need any expensive software; most of the applications featured are free, though you do need the 19 QuickTime MPEG2 component.

You can download the document from the Documents library section of the site at

http://www.toppy.org.uk/documents/index.php?catid=2

Nigel.

Last edited by nwhitfield on Tue May 10, 2005 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
GTL
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2005 Posts: 48 Location: Berkshire
Nigel

This looks excellent and very timely. The capability to link to the Mac was one of the main reasons we picked the Toppy (all of a week ago).

I'll be giving your guide a test run in the next few days and will let you know how it goes.
cazlar
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 121 Location: Back in Sydney!
Great guide Nigel, well done!

BTW I haven't used Sizzle in quite a while, but I reading the Guide reminded me of a small bug/problem that I occasionally encountered on a few recordings that I did with this method - that after encoding the DVD, playback was fine on every other DVD player (including standalones), but Apple's DVD player from 10.3 would occasionally give strange pictures. The workaround for this (to test the DVD before I burnt it) was to use the 10.2 DVD player, which seemed fine!

Not sure if this problem was due to my system, the DTV stream or the way I demuxed etc (which was slightly more complex than the guide - but this was before MPEG StreamClip), but I thought I'd add the note in case anyone runs across it.
GTL
Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2005 Posts: 48 Location: Berkshire
Nigel

Your guide was very good and I successfully made a DVD from a Toppy recording. Congratulations to you (and to Strizzi for the amazing MPEG Streamclip software).

If you're doing an update to the guide at some point, the two sections I found just a little confusing were in Step 2 for convert to MPEG and in Step 3 for Menus and titles.

In Step 2 the text says ?choose convert to MPEG?, but the accompanying illustration shows the alternative ?Convert to MPEG with MP2 audio? menu option. It may be worth making the two consistent, explaining the difference or referring the reader to the MPEG Streamclip documentation. I used ?Convert to MPEG with MP2 audio? and this worked fine.

In Step 3 it may be clearer if you put the Set your video options correctly! paragraph before the Menus and titles explained paragraph. At the moment the video options section comes in the middle of the title and buttons section breaking up the flow and the clarity.

Also, Apple have reduced the price of QuickTime MPEG 2 component to 14.99.

For anybody who is interested, here are the timings from my experiment:

Copy a 2 GB, 1 hour .rec file from the Toppy to the Mac without conversion and in Turbo mode: 15 minutes (so about 4X speed).

Convert the file to MPEG with MP2 audio on the Mac: 2 minutes.

Creating the disc image in Sizzle (for Step 4, the "go and make a cup of coffee" stage): 13 minutes

Burn and verify the DVD with Disk Utility: 12 minutes.

Overall, about the same time as doing a copy to VHS or a DVD recorder via Scart but with the end result of a digital copy as good as the original Toppy recording or broadcast.
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that feedback; I'll make some changes to the document over the next week - I've been a bit busy with update-related stuff this weekend!

In fact, MPEG with MP2 audio and plain MPEG are the same as far as UK broadcasting is concerned at the moment, since that's all we get. Some lucky countries get dolby digital, but we don't have it yet.

Nigel.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 May 2005 Posts: 33
I've just got round to getting a USB cable and have downloaded some rec files to my mac. I am now looking to buy the MPEG 2 playback thingie for Quicktime but the only one I see in the Apple store is for Quicktime 6. I have Quicktime 7. Can someone please confirm to me that this will work with Quicktime 7 before I buy it?

Thanks,

Marc
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I've not yet upgraded my main machine to Tiger, so I can't confirm, I'm afraid.

I've be interested to see what you can do without the component, though - the docs for MPEG Streamclip suggest you might be able to do some things, like demuxing, without the component. Can you give that a whirl, and see what happens?

You won't be able to edit the .rec files without it, but I wonder if you can do enough to be able to put them on a DVD unedited...

Nigel.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
A bit more digging and now I do have an answer for you,

Quote:
I purchased the MPEG-2 Playback Component to work with QuickTime. Do I need a new version for QuickTime 7?

No, the MPEG-2 playback component you purchased for QuickTime will continue to work with QuickTime 7.

More information at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/faq.html

Nigel.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for the REALLY quick reply. I can confirm that you can demux without the MPEG-2 playback componant and I have a nice mp3 that I converted from a demuxed aiff from a radio recording I made.

Although I have Quicktime 7 I don't yet have Tiger, I believe it was installed along with iMovie HD from iLife '05.

Marc
marctwo
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Works perfectly with Quicktime 7 Very Happy

Any way to have the DVD auto play when you insert disk instead of having to go through a menu in Sizzle?
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to experiment, now that the new PowerBook has arrived; just downloading stuff from the Toppy via MPEG Streamclips, and it's managing 1Gb in 10 minutes, which on a BBC1 recording is approximately 20 minutes for a 1 hour programme.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 Sep 2005 Posts: 30
Hi Guys,

Some really great work here. Was wondering if anyone had though about doing a guide that's updated for tiger and iMovieHD/iDVD?

I'm thinking it should be easier with these apps?

Stew
toodeep
Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Apr 2005 Posts: 282
Sizzle and/or Toast are simple DVD preparation software for burning DVDs of Toppy captured transport streams. I recommend the MPEG Streamclip User's Guide to anyone having issues with unusual resolutions, etc..
dhayes
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I have been trying to burn recordings from Toppy onto my Mac for a week or more.

I can get the .rec file onto my Mac without any trouble but I am failing to get the file into the right format for the DVD.

Using Nigel's Guide I did download the 'essential' Quicktime MPEG 2 component as far back as last Autumn but I cannot install it. I just get a message saying "Errors installing the ...).

I have Quicktime 7 on the Mac and I believe I have the latest Javascript but my Mac says it has the latest version and the test on the Sun website says I haven't.

Perhaps if I did manage to install this MEPG2 component my troubles would be over.

Please can anybody help me with my failure to install the MPEG component or suggest some other way of using my Mac to burn DVD's from the Toppy.

My Mac is a 1.8GHz PowerPC with 1GB DDR SDRAM using OS 10.4.5.
The Sony DVD in the Mac is DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW.
I also have iLife '06 installed with the latest iDVD HD & iMovie.

Thank you
jumbo
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
@DHAYES: Presumably you purchased the MPEG2 Playback component from Apple. If so you'll probably be able to download it again. Then re-install and see what happens.

I recently went down this root without any problems. I think the MPEG 2 component (although compatible with QT 7) was for QT 6 but it works as expected (I've got OS 10.4.5) and hell of a lot faster than the "equivalent" windows version!