Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Top Tip!

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
chunkywizard
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9321 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Nice tip dedics,

thanks!

CW

nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9567 Location: London
Tips for the standard Toppy firmware have been added to the FAQ database in a new Top tips section, which is also available from the Help menu at the top of the forum screen.

Nigel.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 Mar 2006 Posts: 78 Location: Hitchin, Herts
If you find your Toppy too noisy, try this:

Buy two squash balls from a sports shop;
Buy a cheap glass chopping board (preferably not one with pictures of carrots on it);
Cut the two squash balls in half with a craft knife (try to cut them exactly in half along the seam);
Put half a squash ball over each of the Toppy's 'feet' and sit it on the glass chopping board;
Marvel at how much quieter it is.

Regards

Nelviticus
Dragon Drop
Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
A variation on the squash balls idea, as used by me (and other in various hi-fi forums) - less chance of slicing your pinkie open. Use this:

a. castor cups, from the local DIY shed. Normally used under the feet of sofas etc.
b. squash balls (don't cut them!) .
c. a platform (hi-fi people tend to prefer something more solid like the 12 Asda granite chopping board).

Place the squash balls into the castor cups. Place the platform on top, then the Toppy on top of that. The weight of the granite and Toppy will keep the balls in place. Works fine for me, for a CD player.

Magic Man
Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Jan 2006 Posts: 206 Location: South Wales
...and get the castor cups for hard floors that have a rubber or felt backing rather than plain plastic.
chunkywizard
Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9321 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hey Dragon Drop,

your brackets need to be square for your sig. to display correctly,

CW

Dragon Drop
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:08 am Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
Hey Dragon Drop,

your brackets need to be square for your sig. to display correctly,

CW

Thanks chunkywizard Cool

paullawrance@tiscali.co.u
Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me if the Toppy has to be left on for timer recordings to take place, or whether it can be placed on standby, like the Sky Plus box. I've looked in the manual but found no answer. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere! Thanks.
msteggalls
Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Apr 2005 Posts: 719 Location: Ipswich, UK
paullawrance@tiscali.co.u wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the Toppy has to be left on for timer recordings to take place, or whether it can be placed on standby

Yes, it can be left in standby - When the timer is due it will come out of standby, record and then, assuming you haven't touch the remote, will go back into standy

Martyn

Updated 26Oct14
nudger1964
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
my top tip is, if after 5yrs service your toppy dies on you...buy another one quick.
as you can guess, my old 5800 died, good lord how we come to take the functionality of this machine for granted...quick look on ebay finds me a 5800pvrt for 99 quid.
had a bit of problem getting it to load latest mystuff (i hadnt touched the last one for 4 years as it was just perfect) anyways, its got mystuff on there now and all is well. this is such a great machine...in no small way because of you guys having put so much effort into it.
Doct0r
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Posts: 353 Location: Birmingham
nudger1964 wrote:
my top tip is, if after 5yrs service your toppy dies on you...buy another one quick.
as you can guess, my old 5800 died, good lord how we come to take the functionality of this machine for granted...quick look on ebay finds me a 5800pvrt for 99 quid.
had a bit of problem getting it to load latest mystuff (i hadnt touched the last one for 4 years as it was just perfect) anyways, its got mystuff on there now and all is well. this is such a great machine...in no small way because of you guys having put so much effort into it.

You're better off trying to get one from Currys or PC World for sub 80. Ones from ebay are probably not new and you wouldn't have the warranty given from a new one.

simonc
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5620 Location: Cheltenham
The 99 is ex display, 6 month warranty, free delivery. I'd take that rather than drive 20 miles to see if the one remaining 79 one in Gloucester has a remote!
jumbo
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
simonc wrote:
The 99 is ex display, 6 month warranty, free delivery. I'd take that rather than drive 20 miles to see if the one remaining 79 one in Gloucester has a remote!
But if you're replacing an old one then you already have a remote or a nice One for All can be had for not much more!!
Doct0r
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Posts: 353 Location: Birmingham
I can't say much about ebay, I bought all 4 of my PVRs from there and they all worked (until I blew one of the Humax's, my mistake though).

Also, do you think people on ebay wouldn't lie? You could also phone the store 20 miles away to save yourself a trip or e-mail Currys to ask if there are any in stock local to your postcode.

simonc
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5620 Location: Cheltenham
I'd already quizzed them, more out of interest than actual need. If they'd had one in our local store I'd probably have bought it as a spare. Nearest are one solitary ex-display unit in Gloucester and another in Oxford.

Here's a thought: these ebay ones are ex-Curry's ones with a 20 markup.